2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
dogrunner

Federal Gold Medal.

dogrunner

Stopped at Cabrlas Friday night and bought a flat of them. Figured I needed to give them a try since I can never find Rem STS in my area anymore. So Saturday I took a box to see how I liked them. They break targets hard but my 390 wasn’t ejecting them very well I got either a stovepipe or ftfeed a couple times. Yesterday I finished the box off on the trap field. My last shell fires then I look in my chamber and see something. Hmm. Yep the base,  the plastic was still in the barrel. Never have had a shell do this. What I do know from firing 5 different kinds on Saturday is that Fed and Browning hulls after shot are the longest. Gunclub, Rio are shorter. Don’t remember what the Fiocchi was for length. 

6BEC8BB1-3EE5-4FE1-BBD2-01720DBDD9A0.jpeg

robp

I had that happen with a hunting reload in a federal hull glad I noticed  pretty scary to think if a novice would have run into that situation and didn't know to check the barrel

I would be calling federal and letting them know Tom Roster would also be interested in this. Glad nothing bad happened

25/06

I have a little trouble with reading comprehension so bear with me.

What type of gun were you shooting? Semi Auto?

When you say you saw the base are you referring to be metal base or the plastic with metal base missing?

Did the base get torn off during ejection leaving the plastic cartridge in the chamber?

Thanks!

Kemo Sabe

What I can't comprehend is what you mean by this: "What I do know from firing 5 different kinds on Saturday is that Fed and Browning hulls after shot are the longest."

Could you further es'plain? Muchas gracias!

PartridgeCartridge

That was a common problem with Rio's for a short production run. I bought a pallet (106 cases) of the Rio 1 oz  target loads and had hundreds of them with case head separation.

No big deal but you do need to be vigilant.

dogrunner

Yep, semi auto Beretta 390. I took my last shot, it fired fine, sounded normal and broke the target. I looked at my gun and laying on the trigger assembly I seen the metal base ripped off the plastic. The plastic was still in my barrel, I had to give it a shove to get it out, so yes I guess it could have got ripped off during ejection. 

dogrunner
2 hours ago, robp said:

I had that happen with a hunting reload in a federal hull glad I noticed  pretty scary to think if a novice would have run into that situation and didn't know to check the barrel

I would be calling federal and letting them know Tom Roster would also be interested in this. Glad nothing bad happened

I got a call into Federal, there supposed to call me back. 

Larry Brown

That's kinda scary . . . with new, "premium" target loads.  Not much of an issue with a double if you catch your empties.  Can be a real problem with an auto or pump if you don't happen to notice what you're ejecting.

dogrunner
1 hour ago, Kemo Sabe said:

What I can't comprehend is what you mean by this: "What I do know from firing 5 different kinds on Saturday is that Fed and Browning hulls after shot are the longest."

Could you further es'plain? Muchas gracias!

After having trouble with those 2 shells I lined up the 5 different fired hulls those 2 were the most lengthy. It fired 1oz shells just fine.  The Brownings are made by Win just like a AA. My gun never has issues with a AA so not really sure why it don’t like the Brownings. I’m hoping the new recoil spring I put in the gun fixes it. I have fired pheasant and 3” duck shells last fall with no issues. 

Harry

"The American Trapshooting Association’s (ATA) 2017 Grand American World Trapshooting Championships in Sparta, IL, concluded last month with a total of 3,386 shotgun shooters competing in singles, doubles and handicap trap. Federal Premium’s new Gold Medal Grand shotshells earned high praise and high scores at the tournament―widely considered the world’s most prestigious trapshooting competition.

“We are very proud that our team of sponsored shooters did extremely well at the Grand American,” said Federal Premium Shooting Promotions Manager Devon Harris.

Team Federal Premium shooter Sean Hawley hit 2,538 out of 2,600 targets, earning him the ATA 2600 High Over All (AAA) Champion title. “Shooters using Federal Premium Ammunition took home 28 percent of the trophies,”

25/06

I have had a few b&p separate like that in .410 but they were from when b&p first started shipping into the U.S. I was trying to use them in a Briley Subgauge tube

That is why I was suprised you said it was an auto.

I hope Federal gets this sorted out for you and it is an isolated incident.

Last thing we need is another junk european hull touted as a premium shell. 

If you reload it has always been STS, AA   And Gold Medal as the best hulls for reloading which meant best shell. 

I have shot at least 40,000 of the estates which are comsider the lesser federal shell and have never had a separation.

All the American top line could be used in Briley or Kolar tubes. To me this means controlled pressue and a brass head that would contract back after firing a bit to allow hull to slide out of chamber without much resistance.

Keep us posted!

Larry Brown
10 hours ago, 25/06 said:

I have shot at least 40,000 of the estates which are comsider the lesser federal shell and have never had a separation.

I've had hull separation with reloaded 28ga Estates . . . never with any new ones.  But then I've also seen reloaded 28ga STS with hull separation.

I visited the Federal factory (along with a bunch of other outdoor writers) shortly after they acquired Estate.  Some of us thought maybe Federal would continue Estate as a sort of "boutique" line where they'd do made to order shells--if your order was large enough.  When we asked them what they got from the Estate acquisition, the answer was:  "A bunch of modern machinery."  And they turned the Estate brand into their less expensive line of shotshells.  Nothing wrong with Estates, although if I'm going to buy less expensive shells, I prefer Gun Clubs.  They're the best of the best, when it comes to reloading hulls that aren't from the premium brands.

dogrunner

Here is some better pics. I have not heard back from Federal since I gave the lady my report. 

3C9F4497-5B05-46C3-AFFC-8286DE4D9F0A.jpeg

251DC970-EF89-490C-A610-F723E142DE0D.jpeg

5DC8D5DC-A554-42D2-BCCC-D9C52B25C39F.jpeg

F7C5DD34-3174-49C2-B7D2-A2BCB82F49F7.jpeg

021C0521-53B0-44C4-8F72-A1B4D316A7E0.jpeg

B57039EB-641E-4079-8844-78B6C0E19C1A.jpeg

grouse28

Is the black residue on the shell normal, if not it looks like some gasses leaked upon ignition and separated the case from the base or at least loosened it.

Harry

"We are extremely sorry and concerned that this occurred. It has always been our mission to make the finest shotgun shells that competitors and hunters can rely on. We understand the trust you place in Federal when you purchase our ammunition. Know that we will be looking into the cause of this rare occurrence and we most assuredly appreciate you bringing it to our attention.

Please use this coupon to obtain two cases of the Federal shotgun shell of you choice. Best wishes for success in all of your future shooting activities."

Yours truly,

"Hey Fred, a rim slipped off." "Ya, current stats show it is within the normal allowance when you make millions of them, but I'll record it in the book. We going out for lunch?"