2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
ruff hunter

Maine Cabin Masters!!!!

salmontogue
48 minutes ago, Bert in W N.C. said:

We really enjoy watching the show. As mentioned before, Maine looks to be a beautiful state. My high school senior daughter asked me I'd if there were only 25 letters in the Maine alphabet.  She was kidding of course. The silent 'R' is not something she hears very often.

Splain to her that owuh nu wicked pissah alfahbet kud haf less than twenty lettahs.

Perk, professah uv linguistics or wuz that linguica?  Alwayz like sausage bettah

mikev

Our favorite show! Seem like nice people and they know how to use tools. Unlike some other rehab shows.

jpari
20 hours ago, gunsrus said:

Agree , The last one I saw they charged $30,000 for a complete rebuild . Just tearing down the deck and steps and redoing would be half that here . 

All those love and list its are so phony with prices . 

Agreed, in New Jersey those renos could never be done for the prices quoted on the show.  My wife and I had the bathroom and kitchen gutted and renovated in our lake cabin in NJ, a 1200 sq. ft. two bedroom one bath w/a sleeping loft,  and just those two rooms cost around $42,000.  Perhaps, they get a large amount of the materials as donations from their sponsors.

DennisMcFeely
20 hours ago, gunsrus said:

Agree , The last one I saw they charged $30,000 for a complete rebuild . Just tearing down the deck and steps and redoing would be half that here . 

All those love and list its are so phony with prices . 

$30k is a landscaping bill for Al

Brad Eden

IMG_0492.JPGIMG_0493.JPGIMG_0495.JPG

Speaking of Construction/Reno costs per region and states. What do you think this 24 x 26' garage would cost you to have built where you live ? (Guess) Includes: Ecavator hired to clear lot of big Pines, dropping and grading gravel pad, 24 x 26' concrete pad poured. 4 vinyl single hung windows, good grade bay doors and auto openers. Stick built (not modular), 8 foot attic trusses, metal roof and vinyl sided.

Don Steese
20 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Yes, loads of camps on private and leased land. 

But not all are McCampsions like Als...

Some are mere hunting hovels and not fodder for TV renovation...

IMG_0405.JPG

And should stay like they have been for 75 years...

IMG_0075.JPG

Although some renovation is a good thing...

Love it! This is my idea of a camp!!  Myself and a buddy owned two over a period of 35 years. Never had electricity or running water. For about the last 20 years of his career my buddy built cabins, not houses just cabins in the woods. He said people no longer wanted hunting cabins, they wanted Taj Mahals in the woods. He built whatever they wanted, but we preferred to keep ours more simple and did all the work ourselves. I miss it!

IMG_0149.thumb.JPG.a440d50118412b7ae907cc21b8f0591d.JPGIMG_0147.thumb.JPG.b16777f50149db15f1323a7e0a15fdb5.JPGIMG_0144.thumb.JPG.bc68af4a449242dcac1d960b90796bcf.JPGIMG_0148.thumb.JPG.68028f403fccbcaee659090fa2950f7c.JPG

Don Steese

From the outside.

IMG_0146.thumb.JPG.32db6e88aff18e2ab8346173370377ca.JPG

mccuha
6 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Speaking of Construction/Reno costs per region and states. What do you think this 24 x 26' garage would cost you to have built where you live ? (Guess) Includes: Ecavator hired to clear lot of big Pines, dropping and grading gravel pad, 24 x 26' concrete pad poured. 4 vinyl single hung windows, good grade bay doors and auto openers. Stick built (not modular), 8 foot attic trusses, metal roof and vinyl sided.

$35000

Marc Ret
8 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

It's been a while since I've done a garage, most of my work is interior remodeling, but I would probably charge $40,000+ just for the build/concrete work. Tree removal and excavator work would be an additional ?. 

gunsrus

Agree with Marcus , here in SE Ma , closer to $45,000 without tree removal and excavator work . 

salmontogue

The pictured garage was built six years ago.  It is 26x36 with 10' sidewalls and is framed 2x6, prebuilt roof trusses, sheathed with plywood, sided with high quality vinyl siding over wrap and shingled with Bird Woodscape 50 architectural shingles.  It sits on a one foot rebarred slab with fiberglass reinforced concrete.  The side entrance door is a Therma-tru, the five windows are Andersen and the two ten foot metal garage doors are insulated.  The cost was a little over 30k.  It is a nice but simple building.

I have added electric door openers, full insulation and paneling/ceiling, HID lighting and 125,000 btu Modine hanging gas heater.  There are six ceiling fans, fire and burglar alarm system, many GFI outlets and two 220v outlets for a commercial Quincy air compressor and a buzz box welder.  Power (100A), alarm wiring and internet/phone wiring is underground.  There are two hanging 20A Lincoln cord reels and a hanging Lincoln air hose reel.  There are three power loss emergency lights with 80 minute capacity.  These items were installed by me and are in addition to the base cost.

It is used for boat, ATV and snowmobile storage with ample workbench and project space.

Building costs in this part of Maine are low for labor and average for most material costs.  I saved money by doing my own electrical and underground wiring, owned a backhoe at the time.  I also did my own interior and finish work and the gas plumbing for the heater. 

Perk

Bruce%201-10%20037.JPG

salmontogue

The pictured barn, 30x60, was pre-existing on our year-round property and was built in 1990.  It is framed 2x8 with 16' sidewalls and a full attic.  It is fully insulated, blue boarded with skim coat plaster and set on 18" of rebarred concrete.  Lighting is by six 400w HPS ceiling fixtures and fluorescent perimeter double tubed fixtures on the side and rear walls.  Electric (200A) internet and phone are underground.  Heat is by a 500,000 btu Modine hanging gas heater.  Additionally, there is a 200,000 btu wood furnace.  The 18x28 addition was foundation only when we purchased the property.  The siding on the front is cedar clapboard and excellent condition.  The other three sides were cedar shingles in poor condition along with a shingle roof in fair minus condition.  The previous owner was an electrical contractor and used the building in his business and for storage of his bucket truck, pickup, trailer and a huge saltwater sailboat.  Two of the interior walls have commercial rack storage.

We wrapped and vinyled three exterior walls, added 2 Thermatru entrance doors and the 18x28 addition with Andersen sliders and a tile floor. The old roof was stripped and re-shingled with Bird Woodscape 50 architectural shingles.  The roof required nearly forty squares of shingles or about 160 bundles.  The only part of this I completed was electric, sound, flatscreen and interior wall and cathedral ceiling finish along with the tile floor in the addition.  I also installed a Vermont Castings Starlight lpg stove.  Everything else was done by a group of young contractors who normally work on commercial buildings.  The refurb and addition cost just over 55k not including my part and the eight person hot tub.

I was feeling a little sorry for myself until the insurance company engineer estimated the replacement cost at four times the project cost.  Holy crap.

Perk

IMG_5928.JPG

IMG_5930.JPG

salmontogue

This is the man cave, a work in progress.  Originally, it was a single car garage that was about sixty years of age.  It was moved to the property by the previous owner who used it as an office for his electrical contracting business.  The roof, siding, windows, slider and entrance door were all in poor condition.  All were replaced to be similar to the other out buildings.  Electric was 30A and insufficient for my ham radio equipment.  I still had my backhoe and installed underground electric (100A) phone and internet.  I am in the process of paneling the interior walls and ceiling with t&g pine.  The floor is oak with mahogany trim with a tile hearth and brick wall for a stove.  My plan is for built in bookshelves and gun cabinets.  I'm hoping to have it completed by late spring.  The photo shows the restored exterior.  The cost was higher than I would have liked but it involved tear-out and stripping before the refurb, about 10k.

The same contractor did all three buildings at the same time.  It was a great experience and came in about 12% under estimate.  There are great contractors.

Perk

mancave.jpg

max2

Very nice salmontogue !

salmontogue
1 hour ago, max2 said:

Very nice salmontogue !

Thank you.  My wife claims the outbuildings are mine and the house is hers.  All in good fun.

It is post and beam with oak framing.

Perk

iphone 012.JPG