REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
ruff hunter

Maine Cabin Masters!!!!

Fins and Feathers

Perk,

Great looking house.  Looks to be a saltbox?   

salmontogue
49 minutes ago, Fins and Feathers said:

Perk,

Great looking house.  Looks to be a saltbox?   

Thank you. Not exactly a saltbox.  There is a large story and one-half extension on the back with a vaulted ceiling, tile floor, many widows and four large skylights.  It's a great spot to sit on a sunny winter day among plants of all descriptions.  There is a full length deck off that room.

We heat the entire house (4400 sf) on roughly six cords of oak and maple in the wood furnace to the right of the family room fireplace.  There are a number of adjustable floor vents between the first, second and third floors.  The second floor is 3BR, 2 baths and a laundry room.  The third floor is 2BR and a bath.  There are three fireplaces that are not used during the winter but we do use the cast iron cook stove.

The house is far larger than planned for a retirement home but the purchase price was less than the value of the three outbuildings .  The way I figure it, we got the house for free.  Money left over for more guns and fly rods.

The wood furnace is a Timber Ridge 50-TRW35, rated for 3000sf but the house is framed 2x6 and the vent system is very efficient and flexible.  We keep the temp at 65 degrees.  With wood under $200 per cord, we heat for $1200 per season.  The house has central heat which we seldom use.  We are located in an unorganized township with very low taxes, $1600 per year.  These numbers work well for retired people.

Perk

iphone 014.JPG

IMG_5646.JPG.18bd354817195176b56d8da0e1e6c661.jpg

IMG_5649.JPG

shinbone
On 3/13/2018 at 12:39 PM, Brad Eden said:

IMG_0405.JPG

IMG_0075.JPG

Absolutely love it.  I'da feel like I was in heaven every time I went there.

Brad Eden
On 3/14/2018 at 11:42 AM, Brad Eden said:

IMG_0492.JPGIMG_0493.JPGIMG_0495.JPG

Speaking of Construction/Reno costs per region and states. What do you think this 24 x 26' garage would cost you to have built where you live ? (Guess) Includes: Ecavator hired to clear lot of big Pines, dropping and grading gravel pad, 24 x 26' concrete pad poured. 4 vinyl single hung windows, good grade bay doors and auto openers. Stick built (not modular), 8 foot attic trusses, metal roof and vinyl sided.

I built it with a carpenter friend last summer. I handled all sub contracting duties, organizing the lot clearing, gravel, cement pad, orderring and scheduling delivery of lumber and materials, light carpentry and all finishing and painting work. Took us 4-5 months from the point cement pad dried. He worked every other weekend and I did small stuff in between. $20,500 give or take. It's worth close to twice that if and when we sell the house and property. The key was patience, time to do my part, rural priced contractors for gravel and cement pad, and a very talented and reasonably priced carpenter.

salmontogue

Beautiful job.  You will be amazed how quickly you will fill it with stuff.

Perk

mccuha

Brad.  That’s how I usually do things.  I built my house by being the contractor and subing everything out that I didn’t know how to do or didn’t want to do. It takes longer but you save a good bit. I’m fixing to build a barn. Going to do the same thing.  

Irishwhistler
On 3/17/2018 at 6:04 AM, salmontogue said:

This is the man cave, a work in progress.  Originally, it was a single car garage that was about sixty years of age.  It was moved to the property by the previous owner who used it as an office for his electrical contracting business.  The roof, siding, windows, slider and entrance door were all in poor condition.  All were replaced to be similar to the other out buildings.  Electric was 30A and insufficient for my ham radio equipment.  I still had my backhoe and installed underground electric (100A) phone and internet.  I am in the process of paneling the interior walls and ceiling with t&g pine.  The floor is oak with mahogany trim with a tile hearth and brick wall for a stove.  My plan is for built in bookshelves and gun cabinets.  I'm hoping to have it completed by late spring.  The photo shows the restored exterior.  The cost was higher than I would have liked but it involved tear-out and stripping before the refurb, about 10k.

The same contractor did all three buildings at the same time.  It was a great experience and came in about 12% under estimate.  There are great contractors.

Perk

mancave.jpg

Nice cave in the making Perk.  I say we go "sophisticated Neanderthal" and share a dram or two o' Midelton's there one o' these days.

Slainte'; 

Mikey 🍀🇮🇪

salmontogue
9 hours ago, Irishwhistler said:

Nice cave in the making Perk.  I say we go "sophisticated Neanderthal" and share a dram or two o' Midelton's there one o' these days.

Slainte'; 

Mikey 🍀🇮🇪

Plan on it Mikey.  Surround sound system with Polk speakers and Sir James Galway on the flute.

Perk

Irishwhistler
23 minutes ago, salmontogue said:

Plan on it Mikey.  Surround sound system with Polk speakers and Sir James Galway on the flute.

Perk

Aye Perk

Now  let's just say ye have "Perked" me interest😂😂😂😂😂.

Slainte',

Mikey🍀🇮🇪🇺🇸

salmontogue
1 minute ago, Irishwhistler said:

Aye Perk

Now  let's just say ye have "Perked" me interest😂😂😂😂😂.

Slainte',

Mikey🍀🇮🇪🇺🇸

Galway on the flute will do that.  The closest thing in nature is the call of loons.  It's that distant and somewhat lonely tune.  In the fall, many hundreds of loons raft up on West Grand Lake and Big Lake before migrating to the coast for the winter.  What a sight.  They nest in this part of Maine.  In summer, with windows open, they can be heard at both houses.

Perk

Irishwhistler

Primal music to me ears Perk.  I have been lulled to sleep by their call many nights.  Nature's beauty at her finest.👌

Mike 🍀🇮🇪🇺🇸

mccuha

One of the guys that helps with main cabin masters is I believe a bird hunter.  One of the first times I watched it , he said something about getting done quickly because it was grouse season.  Another episode there was a really nice looking setter on the set

ruff hunter

His name is “ Jedi “ and he brings his English setter on the show...... I love it !!!!!

mccuha

Yep that’s him. Show’s as good As barn wood builders