FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Thinblueline

My French Brittany and I Are New to UJ (Warning...Long Introduction)

Thinblueline

I like all you guys already. 

Dogwood

Hell of a first post!  Welcome to the club!

Don Steese

Welcome!   

EB&Me

Welcome to UJ. Have patience with your pup, he’s barely a year old. My F Britt breeder told me don’t expect too much in the first year, let them be pups. I feel French Britts may mature a bit slower than some breeds. They seem to want to retain their pup stage. My boy sometimes still acts like he has pup in him and he just turned 4😉

Thinblueline
59 minutes ago, EB&Me said:

Welcome to UJ. Have patience with your pup, he’s barely a year old. My F Britt breeder told me don’t expect too much in the first year, let them be pups. I feel French Britts may mature a bit slower than some breeds. They seem to want to retain their pup stage. My boy sometimes still acts like he has pup in him and he just turned 4😉

Yes sir I believe you’re right. He is still a youngin’ with a lot of play in him so we just love him up and have fun with him. I’m going to hunt his little rear end off at every opportunity next fall, with virtually no pressure on him. I believe in stealth when hunting to keep birds from flushing wild, so I hardly ever verbally communicate with him when I’m running or hunting him, and so he has learned to keep one eye on where I’m at all the time. We are very bonded to each other, so much so that there was no doubt I was going to keep him, even if he was full out gun shy. I’m glad he’s not, so now I’ll just lead him to water over and over again and hope that he eventually takes a big gulp, turning into a good ole meat dog.

EB&Me

From what you just posted I think you’ll be fine. Hunt his little rear end off and you’ll have a bird dog, just add manners and you got it.

French Brittany28

Welcome to the Epagneul Breton club and this wonderful board. You and your dog will do fine. Just remember to have fun with your dog and enjoy the experience. 

MAArcher

I feel bad now.  I knew from reading here on UJ that some guys had trouble the first season, but I didn't know guys were putting in so much more time than that to get a dog pointing.  Good luck and I applaud your patience!  

Kansas Big Dog
1 hour ago, MAArcher said:

I feel bad now.  I knew from reading here on UJ that some guys had trouble the first season, but I didn't know guys were putting in so much more time than that to get a dog pointing.  Good luck and I applaud your patience!  

Hey, don't feel bad. You should still feel good that you had a great dog that was very precocious. Some of the difficulty in getting young dogs going the first year is that alot of breeders are also hunters and do not want to have puppies during the hunting season, but after the hunting season. Therefore, your pup will be under a year old the first year and unless they are quick starters, or you put them on a lot of released birds, they will not be proficient until their second season. I have a young EB now, Rip, she will be 2 in just a few days. I do not use any released birds at all, just wild birds. I ran her quite a bit her first year, before she was one yo. She did not point a bird her first season. This year, her second season, she has developed into a real good wild bird hunting machine. So, sometimes being patient is worth the wait. Here are a couple pictures of Rip and Jack hunting quail in NW KS this last fall. One is Rip pointing and Jack backing and one is Jack pointing and Rip backing.

20171113_093557_resized_3.thumb.jpg.8dc94033392d55aba90d15d003f74912.jpg

20171206_101254_resized_2.thumb.jpg.ad3a7089b11329e7a4d814713beddd81.jpg

marysburg

Welcome to the best board there is.  Not sure where in NE WI you are, but there is a very active NAVHDA chapter in the Wasau area.  Lots of good handlers in that group, and it will give you access to training birds, helpers and training ideas to help your dog progress.  I think its the North Central Wisconsin chapter. 

Thinblueline
2 hours ago, marysburg said:

Welcome to the best board there is.  Not sure where in NE WI you are, but there is a very active NAVHDA chapter in the Wasau area.  Lots of good handlers in that group, and it will give you access to training birds, helpers and training ideas to help your dog progress.  I think its the North Central Wisconsin chapter. 

I’m about a half hour south of Green Bay on the Lake Michigan lakeshore, so a good hour and a half from Wasau. I believe there is a chapter somewhere near Sheboygan as well, which is only a half hour to my south, so I might look into that too. Thanks for the suggestion!

marysburg

Check out the Kettle Moraine Navhda Chapter at kmnavhda.com  I attended a test at that chapter a few years ago, and the test was held at Fond du Lac.  You can also check on the chapter locator at navhda.org  Good luck with your pup, you will have so much fun this summer.

Crazy Horse

My little French Britt "Chip" flew in from S. Dakota in Aug of 2013. I had him out hunting in late October of 2013for Quail. He did just fine for a young pup. Pointed and found the downed bird.

Unfortunately for me he still won't retrieve. He'll stay with the downed bird till I arrive and I don't want to subject him to forced fetching. So as others have said, hunt that dog.

So where's a photo of your French Britt???????

Chip Pup.jpg

18-NOV-17b.jpg

SLR

I think you have the right plan to take your companion hunting with you and see what happens. I am used to champion bred setters that point right out of the whelping box, so I haven't dealt with a reluctant pointer such as your pup. If I were in your shoes, I would give the pup as much exposure to wild birds as you can and I would work him on pigeons with launchers. Buying pigeons could use up a lot of discretionary money so I keep a flock of homers, the pigeon supply is unlimited. It is not a major investment to build a small coop and keep 6 or 8 homers which can do the trick. My friend CzechSM keeps a coop of homers too and he has had people at his grounds working with non pointing pups. He told me he can go through 40 or so birds in a session, doing repeats of dog smelling birds-birds flying, if dog does not point. This kind of repetition is hard to do with wild birds. Maybe you can find a nearby collaborator that has a homer supply. It seems sometimes a dormant instinct to point will just turn on and you are good to go.  I had a lab back in my Nebraska days and one time she pointed a covey of quail. What you want to avoid is letting the pup catch a bird on the ground. Good luck.

Herve

Welcome!
As said KansasBigDog, you have woodcock where you live, and it is an excellent bird to begin. Go in the woods with your dog in spring and in summer!