2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Kansas Bound

German Translator

Kansas Bound

I saw this little gem at the gun store the other day. Can anyone tell me a little more about it? I think it was made in 1980 and the chokes are Skeet and IC.

IMG_20180303_151212556.jpg

Dave Medema

I don't speak german in any way but it looks like a 20g with 29.5" barrels.  Chokes are 1/2 (Sk/IC).  English grip.  1200 bar is a fine for nearly all shells.  

GSI was the importer, based in AL.  

PartridgeCartridge

I looks to be a 20 ga, possibly 3" german SxS made by Gerbruder Merkel in Suhl, Germany. It has a straight grip correct?

Solid quality guns.

Kansas Bound

Yes, the grip was straight.

quailguy

20 gauge model 8 (SxS), straight grip, single trigger, 3 inch chambers 1/2 choke and vbz (damned if I know what that is.)  Nice guns.

Dave in Maine

My work involves legal discovery in German and English.  Among others I've worked on a good half-dozen patent cases involving German companies and patents.  Translating and reading German is what I do.  One of these days, when I get around to it, I'll set out to translate WIlli Barthold's "Jagdwaffenkunde", "Hunting-gun Smithing", said to be the leading book on the topic.

OK, from the top:

Modell = Model 8-2         Kaliber = Caliber, 20ga 3 inch   Auftr. Nr. = Contract number (possibly the proof lot) 35511 January 02

Lauflange = Barrel length 680mm (26 ¾ inches)   Choke ½ = mod (left) vbz = "Verbesserte Zylinder" = IC (right)

Schaftart = stock type English   Schaftlange = stock length (LOP) [not stated]

Sonderausfuhrung = special details  1200 bar (Proof level), Einabzug mit Unschaltung = Single Selective Trigger 

Ohne Rbl = without return (i.e.,  shipped to GSI for their stock and not to come back)

Gewehr Nr. = serial number 648 002

The two stickers appear to be non-factory, probably inventory control at GSI or afterwards.

Gebr. Merkel Suhl = Merkel Brothers, Suhl, the logo adopted after reunification in 1990-91.

Likewise the “Made in Germany” is a post-reunification label.  East German guns would be marked “Made in GDR”

The Merkel Model 8 was a pretty basic model but still, like almost all German guns, a solid well built piece.  You've got an English-stocked 20 ga sxs with 26 inch barrels and SST, choked IC/Mod.  I.e., pretty much a paradigmatic grouse and woodcock gun.  Buy it if the price is reasonable.

tut

Ok.  I can fill in the blanks as a fellow who was stationed in Germany and went to the factory.   Chokes are Mod and Improved Cylinder.  1/2 choke is modified and VBZ is IC (have no clue why).   Should be a single trigger gun with a barrel selector.   PS  The model 8 should be an extractor gun.

Kansas Bound

Wow the knowledge here is amazing.  Thank you all so much.

I think the gun might have been a collectors piece and never shot.  If I remember the price was $3,500

Dave in Maine
2 minutes ago, Kansas Bound said:

I think the gun might have been a collectors piece and never shot.  If I remember the price was $3,500

Not an unreasonable price for a smallbore Merkel, if it's LNIB.  Especially if it has a factory case.  A little high, but not very.  20 years ago the 47E was going for 2800 retail.

kgb

Ohne sounds like a mis-match with "return" unless the abbreviation has to do with the right to return. I'd expect "return" to begin with a z or w, will ask a friend if he's heard of it. 

tut
34 minutes ago, Kansas Bound said:

Seems high to me unless the wood is flat out amazing.  The model 8 was the cheapest Merkel out there and also and extractor gun.   I'd think that is about 1000 dollars too high.

shinbone

I had a used 12ga Model 8 about 10 years ago.  It was a Basic, well made gun, nothing fancy or upgraded about it. I bought and eventually sold it for less than $1000.

troutchops

I bought and sold a Model 8 20ga for $800 a few years ago. It was used, but the Model 8 is the most basic Merkel. Seems a couple thousand too high to me.