2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Dave Quindt

Fiber wads are obsolete. Or are they?

Dave Quindt

Interesting to see the trend in the UK for using fiber wads when game shooting, as a way to control the amount of liter left on a cooperating landowners ground.  Apparently the trend has gotten to the point to influence Browning, at least a little bit.  Does make me wonder about how much plastic I've left littered across the woods and fields.  

EDIT:  The video below (about 1:30 of video) shows a Browning UK rep introducing a new 525 game gun with standard sized bores (aka not overbored) to meet the growing trend of game shooters using felt wads.  Interesting, the gun also has fixed chokes and a solid rib; which is the first gun from Browning I've seen in a while that comes anywhere close to the mythical "Purple Cow".

French Brittany28

EAT has a great fiber was shell

French Brittany28

Auto correct!

RST has them!

Flairball

I’ve been on a quest to shoot fibre wads after seeing how many plastic wads littered the dog training area. Seems to me like a sensible change.  Unfortunately they are not easy to find. RST makes them, but they are in paper hulls, which have turned out to be problematic, so I won’t buy them. Gamebore also has some fibre wad shells which are available in the US, but hard to find. I’ve been planning to start reloading, but one of my goals was to make my own fibre wad shells, but I’ve yet to find a recipe. 

I think the US sportsman will not be willing to change. The market has convinced everyone of the superior performance of plastic wads. While I’m sure that to some extent that is true, I’m not sure just how much difference it makes to the average guy who just shoots birds a few weekends each year, and occasional recreational clays. 

French Brittany28

I am pretty sure the loads called Brush are fiber wads. They are a plastic hull.

Cooter Brown
28 minutes ago, Flairball said:

RST makes them, but they are in paper hulls, which have turned out to be problematic, so I won’t buy them.

What problems have you had with RST paper shells?

jpari

I agree wholeheartedly with a switch to fiber wads if for no other reason than being interested in a healthy environment and reducing plastic litter.  When I shoot at a very popular SC facility in PA I cringe when I see the incredible number of plastic wads floating in the edges of the water stations.  Here in NJ fiber wads are required when shooting both game and clays at Griffin and Howe's Hudson Farm facility.  Environmentally, I understand their concern and I agree with it.

oak stob
1 hour ago, Cooter Brown said:

With the 16 gauge RSTs , availabilty can be a problem.

I enjoy seeing, and wondering about, an old wad or hull found nestled in the leaf litter.......more concentrated shooting activity or some environments tho could lead to more problems than simple wonderment would cover.

Was not the chamber forcing cone angle/length or backboring considered a factor regarding wad column suitability?

Wyobirds

I have been loading and shooting card and fiber wads in RMC brass hulls for almost 13 years.  When I first began loading brass hulls, I tried many different recipes and 1-piece plastic wads patterned better in my 20ga SxS's and card and fiber wads patterned outstanding in my 12 ga, 16ga.and 28ga. shotguns.

I no longer have the 20ga SxS' or the 12ga SxS and as a result, I load card and fiber wads solely because of the patterns.  The only negative aspect is barrel leading, but that is a small price to pay for the outstanding card and fiber wad patterns. 

Flairball
2 hours ago, Cooter Brown said:

This, 

erik meade

I tried the 28ga Polywad Greenlight shells this past fall, for just this reason.  I wanted to stop throwing plastic wads (and also lead) around.  Turns out, in 28ga at least, they were not very effective.  I had a lot of shot that stopped just under the skin.  At any distance at all there just wasn't enough energy left in the little steel shot.  

I probably will just have to give up on the 28 gauge.  But I like the gun so much...

Flairball
1 hour ago, erik meade said:

I probably will just have to give up on the 28 gauge.  But I like the gun so much...

I didn’t have much luck with the RST but you may want to order a box or two and give them a try. Also, Gamebore is available, too. I would try Gamebore, but having ammo shipped to Mass is a problem sometimes. 

Zoli 16ga.

No comment on fibre v.s plastic wads...BUT....love that silver inlay on the action!