FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
ARKBRDHUNTER

Talk to Me About UTV Side X Sides

ARKBRDHUNTER

In the market for a side by side UTV but know nothing about them. I have looked at used but that market seems to be like the tractor market in that you can buy new for the close to the same money. 

So what are some suggestions on manufacturer and any other thing I should be looking at or for? Thanks

NECarson

Sport machine or utility? 

ARKBRDHUNTER

Utility, will use around property and some trail riding. 800cc or bigger, not crew. 

Korthaar

I see these more than atvs nowadays.  Polaris is the big dog and they pretty much have any size and style you can want with the largest variety and price points. They definitely have the market and most aftermarket accessories have this brand in mind. Can-am is a distant 2nd in popularity, imo.  

Most all of them are top heavy and prone to roll, if not careful.  The other common loss is striking stumps/stones with your a-arm suspension. Both of these scenarios can damage your frame.  Keep your choice insured at least for liability coverage.  Sorry. I'm in insurance and look all products with that slant.

Cooter Brown
29 minutes ago, Korthaar said:

I'm in insurance and look all products with that slant.

I bet you're a lot of fun at parties and weddings and class reunions and stuff like that!

mccuha

We have a jd gator. 4x4. It’s a work horse.  There are a lot of options. We don’t do trail riding. We use it to work around property and the occasional hauling game out of the woods it meets all our needs and are pleased 

terrym

We use a Honda at the pheasant club I belong to. Not something I would use for tight wooded trails but we use it in fields and it's a pretty useful rig. 

Don Steese

Wife and I have been riding around the desert on a side by side Polaris Ranger 6X6 for the past six weeks or so. Thing has a small dump bed. It'll go darn near anywhere and would be handy for some light hauling. Can't see it being capable of doing much heavy work though. Maybe I'm wrong. It's a lot of fun though!!

Brad H

I bought a Polaris 570 Mid for my vineyard. My wife had been wanting us to buy one for some time and I finally gave in. Now I love the thing!

I got the Mid because the larger ones would not fit in the Vineyard rows. I am really impressed with it. The ride quality on the Polaris is outstanding and I have not had a place where it would not go yet. It has a really cool traction control system for the 4 wheel drive. The new side by sides are really advanced. It has a dump bed that I have used to haul wood and many other things. I have hooked it up to our boat trailer to put it in the garage. You would be surprised what these things can do. 

I would go to a Polaris dealer and check them out. 

max2

For "me" - here while working around my estate :D  I think having one of these would be the cats ass ! I would get one with heater/defrost, dump box for loading firewood, rocks, yard cleanups, getting deer out of the woods , plow for pushing snow in winter. They seem like a tool that could/would get used daily as opposed to other pc's of equipment that have only one use.  I don't own one but must give them a two paws up !

Cooter Brown

Now there's this option:

https://www.mahindraautomotivena.com/roxor

Off road only.  It reaches back to the original Willys Jeep of the 40s--they've been building it under license since the 40s.

Solid axles, leaf springs, xfer case, looks like a fairly simple vehicle.

Looks pretty cool to me but towing/trailering might be more challenging than a lighter UTV.

Cold Iron
14 minutes ago, Cooter Brown said:

Now there's this option:

https://www.mahindraautomotivena.com/roxor

Off road only.  It reaches back to the original Willys Jeep of the 40s--they've been building it under license since the 40s.

Solid axles, leaf springs, xfer case, looks like a fairly simple vehicle.

Looks pretty cool to me but towing/trailering might be more challenging than a lighter UTV.

I was just going to post the same thing. Have been looking at UTV's for awhile but never could justify one for the money. But think secretly I was just waiting for something like the Roxor to come out.

OldSarge

I have a Polaris Ranger 500efi full size. I use it almost every day during three seasons of the year. I may even get a track kit for it and use it year round. I haul wood, clean out the barn, run bear bait, transport my dad to his deer stand, haul deer out of the woods, carry tons of apples out of the orchard, winch firewood trees, clear trails, bird hunt... and the list goes on. I bought mine used for $5K and it is no beauty queen. No windshield, no doors, no accessory lights, no extras. I am constantly rubbing against trees and brush as I break trails and didn't want the extras getting smashed or torn. The roll cage does a great job of keeping me from getting smacked by branches. A winch is a Must Have because you won't toss a UTV out of a mud hole like you can with a quad. I just finished a full front end bushing, bearing and brake job on it. Cost me about $200, including all fluids and filters. The short wheel base will go anywhere my 700 Sportsman will go, however, I have seen the longer crew models get hung up pretty easily. The only real down side to this rig is trying to clean it. There are more nooks and crannies and hidden corners for mud to collect in than you would believe. I would like to head slap whoever designed the underside of the cargo box and under seat area. I try to keep my stuff clean before it goes back in the garage but the Ranger is challenging to do so. I have to disassemble several access panels in order to spray out the mud that accumulates in hidden areas. Overall, it is a great machine. The 500 is plenty powerful so don't overlook one based only on cc.

IMG_0228 (1).JPG

WP_20161101_13_39_38_Pro (1).jpg

aje4

I have a Honda Pioneer UTV that I really like.  It is a 4-seater but it converts easy to a 2 seater with dump back.  I use it primarily around our property, plowing snow, ice fishing and occasional trail riding (usually ride our wheelers).   Our wheelers are Polaris sportsman’s 550’s.  If I had it all over to do I would have went with Yamaha or Honda.   Just find the engineering design on the Polaris very restrictive to add accessories to and issues with cold weather starts that my friends with Yamaha and Honda never have to deal with.  I’ve had the Pioneer for 4 years and it’s flawless!  Great machine.....

cockerfan

I like my Honda pioneer 500. Smaller than what you are looking for, but it seats two comfortably and can go almost anywhere.  I use it multiple times a week, including for plowing my 50 yard driveway,  and have never regretted the purchase.  

20180225_151113-01.jpeg