FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
ARKBRDHUNTER

Talk to Me About UTV Side X Sides

Don Steese
1 hour ago, OldSarge said:

I have a Polaris Ranger 500efi full size. I use it almost every day during three seasons of the year. I may even get a track kit for it and use it year round. I haul wood, clean out the barn, run bear bait, transport my dad to his deer stand, haul deer out of the woods, carry tons of apples out of the orchard, winch firewood trees, clear trails, bird hunt... and the list goes on. I bought mine used for $5K and it is no beauty queen. No windshield, no doors, no accessory lights, no extras. I am constantly rubbing against trees and brush as I break trails and didn't want the extras getting smashed or torn. The roll cage does a great job of keeping me from getting smacked by branches. A winch is a Must Have because you won't toss a UTV out of a mud hole like you can with a quad. I just finished a full front end bushing, bearing and brake job on it. Cost me about $200, including all fluids and filters. The short wheel base will go anywhere my 700 Sportsman will go, however, I have seen the longer crew models get hung up pretty easily. The only real down side to this rig is trying to clean it. There are more nooks and crannies and hidden corners for mud to collect in than you would believe. I would like to head slap whoever designed the underside of the cargo box and under seat area. I try to keep my stuff clean before it goes back in the garage but the Ranger is challenging to do so. I have to disassemble several access panels in order to spray out the mud that accumulates in hidden areas. Overall, it is a great machine. The 500 is plenty powerful so don't overlook one based only on cc.

IMG_0228 (1).JPG

WP_20161101_13_39_38_Pro (1).jpg

This is exactly like the one we've been running around the desert in, except with four more wheels. 

Don Steese

Oops!! I meant two more wheels. (Math was never my best subject!)

IMG_0406.JPG

Don Steese
3 hours ago, OldSarge said:

The only real down side to this rig is trying to clean it. 

IMG_0228 (1).JPG

WP_20161101_13_39_38_Pro (1).jpg

You have to clean these things??  Who knew?? 

NECarson

For a dual purpose machine, the Pioneers are very nice. 

blanked

I don’t know why there made to go 70 mph now days.  If you want to go fast that’s what dirt bikes are for

ARKBRDHUNTER

Thanks, the reason for the 800 plus is due to what other people have said that I would be disappointed in not having enough power. This will mainly be used as a work UTV to hall stuff and use around the property. The trail riding part is just a small portion of the intended use.  Also though about using it to access some remote cutovers . 

Craig Doherty

I have a Polaris Midsize 570 Crew that I use around the kennel and farm -- plenty of power -- top speed around 40 mph -- goes just about anywhere even with four adults and dogs.

cf1193

I used an old JD gator for a couple years on a farm I worked at. It wouldn’t get you anywhere fast, but man did that thing take a beating. I treated the throttle like an on-off switch, and it was mostly “on.” I don’t think I slowed down for a pivot rut a single time, sent it airborne  multiple times a week, never serviced it, and it just kept ticking.

I want to say it was a 2005-ish model. 

But, all this talk about the Roxor is piquing my interest...

Up North

This is a JD 850i that we use to pull docks,and boat lift in at the cabin. Also is a great trail machine, because it has a narrow stance witch allows it to fit down most atv trails.

EB071963-E407-4317-AAC6-3AC94CE21D4E.jpeg

studdog

Kabota makes some nice rigs just a little pricy.  I have a Polaris 900 that works great.  I don't like the four seaters because of the long wheelbase.  Hard to turn on tight trails. FWIW

Kre

They've definitely become the preferred vehicle of road hunters in N. WI.

OldSarge
5 hours ago, Kre said:

They've definitely become the preferred vehicle of road hunters in N. WI.

You gotta watch your swing or you will put a dent in your barrel by hitting the roll cage. 

ARKBRDHUNTER

Well picked this up yesterday. 900 with glass windshield, roof, and 5,000 lb winch. Thankfully stopped there on accessories as I am sure I bought more machine than I needed. 

Wife looking forward to going for rides and I will just happen to carry a quail call on trips this spring to scout any good looking spots we just might pass.🤭

A32AD3DB-4A73-4E1A-AA7D-C9B0D3B48834.jpeg

studdog

Nice rig!  Like mine except I have full sealed cab.

blanked

I am surprised Honda’s and Yamaha’s don’t dominate this market.  They have long dominated the dirt bike market before I ever heard of Polaris