FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
ARKBRDHUNTER

Talk to Me About UTV Side X Sides

studdog

Honda got in the game late and fell on their butt.  Yamaha had a winner in the Rhino and then fell on their butt. Canam and Polaris own the market. The high end is Kabota.

WI Outdoor Nut

Update on the Honda.  A buddy of mine owns a dealership that sells Honda, Yamaha, Polaris and a few others.  I used the 1000 cc Honda pioneer for a weekend.  I was impressed to say the least.  It pulled my wheeled ice shanty like a breeze.  Going down an ice road that I felt comfortable doing about 25 mph with my truck, I was hitting the speed limiter with the UTV at 60 mph, and was a better ride at that speed.  Tons of power.  Like the back seat the folds open if you want it to.  Pulled out a stuck F150 on the ice - took a few "snaps" but the UTV made it happen.  Overall feel the fit and finish are a good step or two above my brothers ranger. 

OldColonel

UTV / ATV safety is a function of operator judgement.  When a young LT in Alaska I used a three wheeler without issue.  It got everywhere safely, because we weren’t stupid about speed and slopes.

Most any of the current market will work.  I would go with what is easiest to maintain in your area and stay away from too fast or fancy.  

BraqueLover

We have a gator 825.  It is a work horse.  We use it every single day for the horses, haul wood, food plots, haul the dogs around, spray fields etc.  It only goes about 25 but we bought it to work.  My wife uses it more than me for the horses.  Can’t imagine not having it.  

Wyobirds

I fought getting an ATV for years.  I was wrong because we have had a Kawasaki 250 for years and I use it daily for many different chores and to give Annie her daily run.

Chukarman
On 3/17/2018 at 5:23 AM, Cooter Brown said:

Now there's this option:

https://www.mahindraautomotivena.com/roxor

Off road only.  It reaches back to the original Willys Jeep of the 40s--they've been building it under license since the 40s.

Solid axles, leaf springs, xfer case, looks like a fairly simple vehicle.

Looks pretty cool to me but towing/trailering might be more challenging than a lighter UTV.

The original civilian Jeeps were simple 1/4 ton trucks. They were popular for industrial and agricultural applications and could be fitted with many types of accessory implements to plow fields or snow, dig post holes and trenches, and haul everything from a trailer full of manure to aircraft on a runway.

I intend to use my old Willys for tasks around the place, moving loads, roading my dogs, and to get into hunting spots while hauling my bird dogs. Pretty much what I would use a UTV for (if I had one). It is also street legal in 50 states.

Ihave hunted from a Kawasaki Mule in west Texas and they work pretty well for most of the terrain, but not all.

5b3915f60bda7_KawasakiMule.thumb.JPG.2c1f849492382c4919ff4d61f53661ea.JPG

The 1946 Willys Jeep below belongs to a guy i know in LA. He swapped the original 4 cylinder flathead engine for a 2 liter Kubota diesel. He also drove it from California to the East Coast a couple of years ago - in the summer.  Not something I would do, but hey!

willys_23.thumb.jpg.02c711521966f853ecca02b6dd0535aa.jpg

Ray Gubernat

We bought a UTV for my wife to get around the property since she has COPD and  limited mobility. She chose the Kawasaki Mule with power steering  & 4WD  and it has been a very nice unit.  I am amazed at how quiet the thing is and the ride is pretty nice.  They make a smaller, air cooled unit, but it does not come with power steering.   The club I belong to has perhaps 50 to 75 members with ATV's and UTV's and I've seen and rode a bunch of them over the years.  UTV is the way to go, for me,  and I honestly like the K-mule the best of what I've seen.  

Anymore, I  use it more than she does for carting stuff around the place and working the dogs. Ain't got it stuck ...YET.

RayG

zhtrainer

MuleMule Pro FX with a three hole dog carrier. Would be lost without this machine, road dogs, run dogs, check bird pens. Very reliable with 812cc engine and very thrifty with fuel.

XXX Dog Buggy.JPG

NVChukarChaser

I would rather buy a Jeep. You can get a used YJ or TJ for a third of the cost of a UTV. Then you don’t have to buy, register and insure a trailer. It has a heater and maybe A/C. You can legally drive it on the streets. Take the back seat out and throw in a couple dog beds. You don’t eat dust or taste any bugs or freeze in the winter. I also believe a lot of guys drive by all sorts of games in utv/atvs. Parking at the bottom and hiking in will surprise you. I would rather be walking than gets bobbled around in any rig any day. It leads to picking up a lot more bonus Huns and quail.

Timn

I have owned several polarises and this spring bought a Polaris general we love it.

Craig Doherty

Second training season with this one use it for multiple tasks every day.

IMG_3033.JPG

oak stob

What little I have been in UTV type buggies, the main advantage would seem to be their more terrain/wet terrain friendly aspect. 

My father had an old jeep, date disremembered, back in the early 60s that he kept in a barn in WV for the occassional need. I can not see any UTV building the same memories 50 years later but...maybe.

BraqueLover

Ella likes riding shotgun in the gator

4C78B48C-6FF1-4332-B57E-C9928FE5D67D.jpeg