• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
Swampy 16

2-1/2” 20 Gauge

salmontogue
6 minutes ago, lee sykes said:

cheating and bringing out the book,  Baker, Crass,  Lewis, Manier, Flues, N.I.D..  Now who could remember all that? 

The who is the Ithaca closet fanatic, yours truly, laughing.  I have researched Ithaca so much over the last five decades that the basic info comes like a knee jerk reaction.  I saw hundreds of early Ithacas when I had the gun business, most were Flues, NID and 37 along with the newer SKBs.  Under appreciated guns, all of them.

Perk

Swampy 16

Thank god, someone that can remember. These guys were starting to wear off on me. I just lost my coffee that I thought I made that I didn’t make and still couldn’t find it.

lee sykes
1 minute ago, Swampy 16 said:

Thank god, someone that can remember. These guys were starting to wear off on me. I just lost my coffee that I thought I made that I didn’t make and still couldn’t find it.

Perk knows guns..  That's for sure!.  

salmontogue
6 minutes ago, lee sykes said:

Perk knows guns..  That's for sure!.  

Lee knows guns too.  There are some amazing guncranks on UJ, you know who you are.  One of the wonderful UJ attributes is the knowledge base of all things connected to the outdoors and even some in the indoors.  How can you not love this wonderful slice of life called UJ?  This is all possible because we have a fair and effective moderator, kind and caring participants and a shared love of the outdoors.  The contribution to keep all this running is the Best Buy in the uplands or anywhere else, for that matter.

You make my life better.  THANK YOU.

Perk

Swampy 16

I totally agree but I’m still looking for my coffee.

salmontogue
Just now, Swampy 16 said:

I totally agree but I’m still looking for my coffee.

Plenty of great coffee here in Downeast, drop by anytime.

Perk

Swampy 16

Will do. Planning a grouse hunting trip to somewhere in Maine this coming fall, just haven't nailed anything down yet. I've never been further north than the Berkshires.

Swampy 16
8 hours ago, salmontogue said:

The who is the Ithaca closet fanatic, yours truly, laughing.  I have researched Ithaca so much over the last five decades that the basic info comes like a knee jerk reaction.  I saw hundreds of early Ithacas when I had the gun business, most were Flues, NID and 37 along with the newer SKBs.  Under appreciated guns, all of them.

Perk

I went and got the serial number off my Flues tonight and it numbers in the 37k’s so from what I see on Ithaca’s site it was made in 1924. Is that a good thing? No cracks either.

Swampy 16
11 hours ago, salmontogue said:

Total agreement. They also have problems with cracked wood.  Many shooters assume the Flues and the NID are pretty much the same.  That is just not the case.  The design of the newer NID is far more robust and capable of handling heavier loads.  Despite that, I don't push my luck.  My four NID guns, a 12, two 20 and a 28, are in the seventy and eighty year old range and stocks of that age can be brittle.  I routinely disassemble old guns to treat the stock to metal contact areas in an effort to prevent cracking.  Ithaca doubles are mostly unappreciated.  They are classy guns, particularly in the smaller gauges, 20 and 28.

Well I took your advice with my 1914 model 12 and it sucked up that linseed oil like Hillary on a wine binge.

salmontogue
10 minutes ago, Swampy 16 said:

I went and got the serial number off my Flues tonight and it numbers in the 37k’s so from what I see on Ithaca’s site it was made in 1924. Is that a good thing? No cracks either.

Yes.  Cracked receivers were more common on the earlier part of the Flues run.  Ithaca was transitioning from the Flues to the NID in 1925.  There were thousands of Flues in 1924 and somewhere about a dozen in 1925, the last year.  There were about 300 NID guns in 1925 and thousands after that.  It would seem that Ithaca and their dealers sold out the remaining Flues before widespread availability of the NID.

Perk

Swampy 16

It’s a cute little gun. I want to get the barrels reblued because it looks like it had some nasty finger print rust spots and some genius took steel wool to it which made the print marks darker and took about 60% of the blue off in those areas. The problem is the receiver won’t look right. It’s darkened, no case colors left but hasn’t turned silver yet either. 

salmontogue
2 minutes ago, Swampy 16 said:

It’s a cute little gun. I want to get the barrels reblued because it looks like it had some nasty finger print rust spots and some genius took steel wool to it which made the print marks darker and took about 60% of the blue off in those areas. The problem is the receiver won’t look right. It’s darkened, no case colors left but hasn’t turned silver yet either. 

Some Ithaca receivers had a dark plum color.

Perk

Swampy 16

So would it look completely ridiculous to reblue the barrels and do nothing with the receiver?

Swampy 16

And do you know what LLH means? It’s stamped on the barrels just ahead of the flats.

salmontogue
22 minutes ago, Swampy 16 said:

And do you know what LLH means? It’s stamped on the barrels just ahead of the flats.

Crucible Steel Company purchased barrel tubes from a Belgian manufacturer with those initials and then supplied them to Ithaca for the Flues and NID guns.

Perk