• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
scottspec2

The Things We Carry Afield

scottspec2

I know this has been discussed much in the past, but reading old posts just doesn't have the same flavor as talking about it anew. I've been going over my own mental notes from the entirety of this past season, and am planning out my gear selection and change over to work on over this summer. Some things worked perfectly, others didn't. Some things held up wonderfully, others fell apart. I'd like to see what you guys and gals carry. I'll keep my gear list upland oriented, as waterfowl gear is a whole other chore. Let's leave out clothing and boots, and just stick to gear stuff.

Beretta 686 20 gauge

Orvis Upland Strap vest, with velcro added to left strap for attaching shell loops and stuff

Ruger LC9 or Glock M20 (depending upon concerns)

Two 24oz water bottles

Sony A6000

3 compasses (Orienteering, pin-on, and a crappy one on the whistle lanyard)

Whistle Lanyard

Leatherman SuperTool

Fixed Blade knife (varies depending on my whim of the day)

Snack (Usually a protein bar of some sort)

Slip Lead

Lighter and matches in a sealed ziploc

Duck Call and 4 Duck loads

18 +/- shells. I can fit 16 in the shell loops and 2 in the gun, sometimes I'll load up a whole box though.

Monacle (weighs little and helps when you need to see a little further)

Notable Omissions: GPS unit and First Aid Stuff. My phone GPS Suffices for my needs, and I'm young and reckless enough to still be bullet proof (right?).

Jakeismydog2

I used to carry more. Now I carry a

Remington 31L

12-15 shells

an Oatmeal Cream pie or Pop tart (my dog has HDH)

My shock/beeper collar

Bottle of water

That all gets carried in my Cabelas bird belt

Rockdoc

Here’s my gear list Scott. I used your list as a go-by to help me remember.

French made 16 gauge SXS guild gun (or my 12 gauge Remington 870 Express if it’s rainy out).

Orange game vest with a rear game pouch and large front pockets, it goes well with my orange hat.

32 cal Saturday Night Special 5 shot revolver in case Trace runs into a pack of javalina's.

A 2-quart canteen

A Brunton compass (if I remember)

Whistle Lanyard

My aptly named Schrade “Old Timer” folding blade pocket knife.

A small folding needle nose plyers (if I remember).

A peanut butter sandwich or two I make using English muffins since they don’t fall apart like bread does. Occasionally, I remember to bring an apple too.

Slip Lead

Usually two or three handfuls of shells that I carry in the large front pockets of my game vest (I don’t trust the shell loops in rough cover).

My 20X Bausch & Lomb hand lens, particularly when I’m hunting in Arizona. I am a geologist after all.

Dang, I almost forgot, my indestructible Samsung "Rugby" flip-phone.

Steve

jeff88

Since I rarely go somewhere to hunt a full day, usually break up a hunting day with lunch at the vehicle or cabin with a chance to restock, my carry items:

20 Citori Lightening

Mothers strap vest

Hunting license, drivers license and a couple of $5 bills just in case (never carry my full wallet, too cumbersome)

A dozen, maybe 15 shells

2 water bottles at the bottom of the game pouch (the vest has water bottle holders that are fine in open country but not great in heavy thickets)

Pin-on compass

Shooting/hunting glasses

Hat, gloves if needed

Either the LL Bean bird knife or a leatherman

Candy bars, snickers preferred

Often at midday when resting I'll change socks if they are sweaty, boots and socks if needed.  Nothing as refreshing as dry socks and aired out boots.

oak stob

Knotsmith lanyard, scattergun with 8 shells and a USB flash drive between my ears......the dogs have their own flash drive, do not seem overly  interested in any scattergun but do look longingly at the lanyard....discerning critters indeed.

MUSTANGER7

Since I can no longer shoot due to shoulder problems (have a great JP Sauer 16ga sitting in the safe) I don't carry a shotgun or any shells, do carry a medical kit, 4 16oz water bottles (for dogs), small coffee thermos, buck sheath knife, video camera (which I do my shooting with), 357 Ruger SP101 with snake shot and people shot, foldable water bowl, leash for emergency, Dogtra 2002 transmitter, Garmin Astro, dog whistle. All this goes in my LL Bean pack, I have one new addition from a suggestion I got here on UJ which is a wooden hiking staff that I have put a small white dish rag on which helps my older dogs locate me, many time I see them looking for me but unable to determine the direction of my calls or whistle, so I wave the flag has helped greatly.

martyg
2 hours ago, jeff88 said:

Since I rarely go somewhere to hunt a full day, usually break up a hunting day with lunch at the vehicle or cabin with a chance to restock, my carry items:

20 Citori Lightening

Mothers strap vest

Hunting license, drivers license and a couple of $5 bills just in case (never carry my full wallet, too cumbersome)

A dozen, maybe 15 shells

2 water bottles at the bottom of the game pouch (the vest has water bottle holders that are fine in open country but not great in heavy thickets)

Pin-on compass

Shooting/hunting glasses

Hat, gloves if needed

Either the LL Bean bird knife or a leatherman

Candy bars, snickers preferred

Often at midday when resting I'll change socks if they are sweaty, boots and socks if needed.  Nothing as refreshing as dry socks and aired out boots.

Thanks for still rocking MOTHER.

NVChukarChaser

I carry a lot of the same but have some extras for the wild and vast Great Basin.

-Lighter wrapped in duct tape. Fixes a blister right quick.

-Lifestraw

-Spot-Wife mandated after not coming home till 3am because I was packing a Muley out of the wilderness. I do like looking at all the places I go though.

-Styptic powder and QTips. It works pretty well

-Small pack of baby wipes-cleans hands as well!!

-Tums-Nothing like Chorizo heart burn to ruin a day and I can’t give it up.

-Quilomeme Upland Vest to haul it in

-70 or 100 oz Camelbak and 2 liters of water in Nathan Bottles

-Box of secret Chukar Reloads. 

-Snake bite kit

E2AF2120-E701-4514-81FC-EB8B736CCE9D.jpeg

jeff88
1 hour ago, martyg said:

It is among the best products I've used for any sport - love it!  That includes two Taylor-made rescue woods, a 3 and 5.   

RuffChaser

I'll add a more detailed list later but the heaviest thing I carry is the guilt of a 1,000 missed shots. Well, maybe not that many but there are a lot.

Brad Eden

K.I.S.S method.

Most of my bird hunting is done close to home in 1-3 hr stints or close to my northwoods camp.Emergency medical kit for human and dogs are in my truck.

shells

whistle-which will be attached to my new Knotsmith Lanyard this fall.

hemostat

bic lighter

compass

water (If over a 1 hr hunt)

leather shooting gloves (for cold weather)

cheap mesh blaze vest to go over my strap vest (for Nov/Dec deer seasons)

fleece ear warmer band (for cold weather)

energy bar or candy bar

Leatherman multitool (on my belt)

Spent shells, feathers, blood and forest duff

I think thats it.

Brad Eden
2 hours ago, martyg said:

Aside from the Upland pack vests you provided, the MOTHER Turkey vest is one of the best ever created, especially for run and gun wild turkey hunting. The retractable seat is great. I have a spare still in plastic put away.

WMassGriff

Mostly hunt near home so in either my LLBEAN Patridge or Orvis Strap vest I usually carry:

-Box of shells either 20 or 12 depending

-Small First Aid kit for me or dog

-Ball Compass pinned on vest & Sunnto Compass in pocket

-License

-Garmin Alpha

- Well seasoned Buck Trapper

-24oz water bottle for dog and one for me (or him as needed)

-HD Trash bag

-18" Leash

-Snacks for me and dog

-Leather Gloves

-Cell Phone 

In my truck I carry combs for removing burrs, extra dog biscuits, gallon of water for me and dog, towels for dog, space blanket to cover crate, cooler with freeze packs for birds, spare bells and whistles.

Reflecting from posts on things I should be carrying in vests: Better first aid for dog; Zip ties/cords for traps; Leatherman for quills, Vet numbers for emergency. Other things I need to do is review trap removal with a retired trapper, and basic canine first aid.

atticus

I'm never all that far from my truck so I have less than most:

shotgun

llbean partridge vest

handfull of shells

leash

waterbowl and water bottle if it's dry out

gloves

glasses

license

2 color controls dogtra and Garmin

A game pocket filled with the occasional grouse or doodle along with detritus from the woods, spent shells, etc.. 

WyomingArt

Good lists here:  in addition to the usual stuff,  I add a 50 gal black garbage bag  folded small and  the smallest space blanket. Had an unplanned bivouac just once.