FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
MAArcher

Best dog training book/method/system?

MAArcher

It's been a while since I trained a puppy, a GSP, where I used Richard Wolters "Gun Dog" as my basic guide.  I'm wondering what others might recommend as a more modern guide that includes taking full advantage of ecollars?  I have a copy of Tri-Tronics "Retriever Training" Book that I haven't read yet.  I have the NAVHDA green book that I will probably refer back too.  I may get some materials from VDD-GNA.  Anyone have a recommendation for something that lays out a good timeline/progression for training a pointing & retrieving dog that they like?  

bntsetter

Although a little dated the Orange Book is laid out pretty simply.  Training the sporting dog by Don smith and Erv Jones. IF you have access to pigeons, Training with Mo is another I like.  As with anything there is more than one way to train a dog as long as you believe in the program and stick to it you should get there.

WMassGriff

Hey MA Archer you ought to look up SNENAVHDA. Workshops start April 15th every other weekend. Lots of good handlers there willing to help from bird intro to water work. Mostly Griffs and GSPs.

For a Video I like Hickox.

MAArcher
1 hour ago, WMassGriff said:

Hey MA Archer you ought to look up SNENAVHDA. Workshops start April 15th every other weekend. Lots of good handlers there willing to help from bird intro to water work. Mostly Griffs and GSPs.

For a Video I like Hickox.

Thanks.  I actually just contacted them to see if there was room for me in the fall NA test.  I was in the Merrimack Valley chapter for a little while, their full up for NA this fall.    

Meridiandave

"Breeding and Training Versatile Hunting Dogs for Hunting and Hunt Tests" by Bob Farris.

This book came out about three weeks ago and is available on Amazon.  I am halfway through it and it is amazing.  Bob's kennel has produced around 400 NA prize dogs.  He has personally trained 49 Utlity dogs that have prized.  

I am a little over half way through it, but I am lucky enough that he is my best friends mentor.

MAArcher
9 minutes ago, Meridiandave said:

"Breeding and Training Versatile Hunting Dogs for Hunting and Hunt Tests" by Bob Farris.

This book came out about three weeks ago and is available on Amazon.  I am halfway through it and it is amazing.  Bob's kennel has produced around 400 NA prize dogs.  He has personally trained 49 Utlity dogs that have prized.  

I am a little over half way through it, but I am lucky enough that he is my best friends mentor.

Just ordered it, thanks. 

shinbone

Pretty hard to beat NAVHDA for versatile dogs. 

WMassGriff

Hopefully I will see you at the test. I usually volunteer as I completed NA and am working towards UT. 

T-Bone

I am getting a new puppy myself and for the initial  training, I've dug out an old classic, "Dave Duffey Trains Gun Dogs". I am re-enjoying the late Mr. Duffey's no nonsense training advice. Yes, I will get the recommended book for E-Collar training in the future.

Spin
On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 2:17 PM, WMassGriff said:

Hopefully I will see you at the test. I usually volunteer as I completed NA and am working towards UT. 

I've done NA and then jumped to UT and I've done all three in order and frankly I think it's better for both dog and owner/handler to do the UPT test before going to Utility.

WMassGriff

Yes I meant UPT. It will be quite a while before we are ready, but its a goal and I am having fun getting there however long the path!

Jake

Do you want to field trial or have a hunting partner. Very different dogs and training. I have always been torn by the question but in the end prefer a hunting partner and companion my wife can enjoy too. Have and have read a host of other training books but basically still follow Walters tenets with excellent results for me and what I want. I Upland maybe 3 months in total but live with my dog 12 months and if you count hours the ratio is even greater. 

MAArcher
On 4/1/2018 at 1:35 PM, Jake said:

Do you want to field trial or have a hunting partner. Very different dogs and training. I have always been torn by the question but in the end prefer a hunting partner and companion my wife can enjoy too. Have and have read a host of other training books but basically still follow Walters tenets with excellent results for me and what I want. I Upland maybe 3 months in total but live with my dog 12 months and if you count hours the ratio is even greater. 

I should have specified.  It would be a "versatile" hunting dog.  No field trials but maybe NAVHDA.  I'd like to test in the German system but logistics will probably prevent that.  

MAArcher
On 3/20/2018 at 2:14 PM, Meridiandave said:

I'm halfway through the book and there's not much on training yet, lots of background "fluff" to start.  The technical aspects of genetic considerations in breeding are pretty interesting, I had no idea it could get that involved.  

Meridiandave

Pages 91 to 176 really cover the training.  As a person involved in NAHVDA, he basically tells you how to get dogs ready for the testing, which also is a great guide to unlocking a dogs natural abilities.