DennisMcFeely

decoy collecting

Wisconsin

Collecting is indeed addictive.

Ken

DE60ED4B-83F0-4BEB-861B-51BC399D9187.jpeg

6C8EAA1A-03DE-459F-8566-7F27FDBB27EC.jpeg

Dick Sellers

Ken, neat looking Can.  Can you provide some info about it?

Wisconsin
On 7/28/2018 at 9:39 PM, Dick Sellers said:

Ken, neat looking Can.  Can you provide some info about it?

I asked a collector in S. WI and he said, “Hey Ken,  That's one I recognize!  Made by Albert Koepsel of Neenah, likely in the 1930s.  A nicely designed and crafted decoy with a rasped surface.  When I get to it, I'll show you one of his Bluebills.”

Brdhntr47

A few Upper Bay birds.

IMG_0722.JPG

DennisMcFeely
1 minute ago, Brdhntr47 said:

A few Upper Bay birds.

IMG_0722.JPG

Who made the drake blackheads Dennis?  Pierce?

Brdhntr47

That's just a few in that room. All Upper Bay and all working birds. I would have to get them down to tell who carved what.  Was just trying to post pics.

Trying another pic. Pair of 1954  Cans by R. Madison Mitchell. I hunted over them many times and the paint was about gone. I had Jim Pierce repainted them in the same style RMM used in his shop in '54. Jim worked for Mitchell.

IMG_0724.JPG

Brdhntr47
33 minutes ago, DennisMcFeely said:

Who made the drake blackheads Dennis?  Pierce?

The Blackheads are not JP's. The three teal are. All of Jim's birds are in another area.

Dennis

mcgreg

To the op, Dennis, it seems many old graybeard duck hunters out there that have been fully committed to the sport winds up pitching out plastic and making their own blocks and boats. Never collected any of the many famous carvers work that are still out there today, but did get fairly deep into making my own blocks using red cedar for heads and black cork for the bodies. A great book for plans and the process you can still get is from Grayson Chesser, who hails from Havre de Grace. Never been there but that has to be THE mecca for carvers. Here is his book. Good luck in your block collecting forays!

Making Decoys: The Century-Old Way

Brdhntr47

Grayson is a great carver but he is not from Havre de Grace. He was born in Sanford, Virginia on the lower bay. Havre de Grace "The Decoy Capital of the World" is at the top of the Bay. Susquehanna Flats.

Dennis

Irishwhistler
On 7/31/2018 at 3:46 PM, Brdhntr47 said:

That's just a few in that room. All Upper Bay and all working birds. I would have to get them down to tell who carved what.  Was just trying to post pics.

Trying another pic. Pair of 1954  Cans by R. Madison Mitchell. I hunted over them many times and the paint was about gone. I had Jim Pierce repainted them in the same style RMM used in his shop in '54. Jim worked for Mitchell.

IMG_0724.JPG

R. Madison Mitchell was actually a funeral director by profession and made decoys as a "side business".  He was one of the first carvers in his area to own and make use of an industrial grade duplicating machine.  I love his signature style and have had the opportunity to handle birds by him, the Ward brothers, Shang Wheeler, and Gus Wilson, a palpable surge of history flowing through me hands as I caressed the floating sculpture of Master carvers from days gone by.👌

Mike 🍀🇮🇪🇺🇸

garyRI
On 8/7/2018 at 12:01 PM, mcgreg said:

seems many old graybeard duck hunters out there that have been fully committed to the sport winds up pitching out plastic and making their own blocks and boats.

Pre- graybeard i pitched my plastic decoys & made my own blocks with basswood heads & cork bodies (some black but mostly the denser cork). But I have come full circle back to plastic mostly because it is lighter. Cork bodied blocks might ride better in rough water but I am not trying to decoy birds into rough spots.

garyRI
2 hours ago, Irishwhistler said:

R. Madison Mitchell was actually a funeral director by profession and made decoys as a "side business".  

I have been to the Harve De Grace museum about 15 years ago as I was ferrying one of my kids to college in Virginia. Talking to one of the docents I was told that many of the museums founders, and the better local carvers, were director/embalmers. I have also read that some of the well known Long Island Sound area carvers were pattern makers.