• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
Cooter Brown

Pigeon Loft

Cooter Brown

I'm looking for plans for a pigeon loft and was wondering what some of you have found to work well.

I'd like to include plans for hatching birds as well, since that seems to be the best way to get reliable homers.

I know I could look this up on the net, but I know there are some serious pigeon guys around here and first hand experience counts a lot with me.

Thanks.

oak stob

Not a serious pigeon guy but, I suspect you will receive several good loft plans...small to large.

LCS and some other outfits can help.

I kinda built mine on the fly.

For me, 12 -16 birds is waaay plenty and the loft was sized accordingly but basically I choose a size that enabled me to easily reach in and catch a pigeon, as pigeon lofts are unhealthy places.

I also like a large side door for access, air and clean out.

I would consider a welded wire floor for ventilation and droppings as they will, a bit, fall thru.....also, slide out or open hatching trays for easy clean out.....pigeons are messy even when not under a bridge.

Were I to do something different, I would spray foam all nooks and crannies to prevent wasps, mean and other, from nailing me as I reach in.

The birds pretty much hatch themselves.

Never had an issue with birds hatched in the loft, homing.

I have had issues with buying homers from a racer...I suspect he sold some birds several times.:D

Rollers are fun to watch but do attract raptors.....if you have that option at some point.

BlacknTan

I've got the plans here somewhere... I'll find 'em..

A friend and I built one years ago from those plans. Didn't cost much to build, and it worked great! It was nice to have birds at hand whenever needed, and we made good use of them. Not long after, he moved to Colorado with the loft. No worries.. I had a good friend, a big time FT gent with pigeons I could use at will. Everyone gets older, and circumstances change... Now I have a pup, and no longer access to pigeons. There are two feed stores within a reasonable distance that have bird auctions on the weekend, but the proprietor told me the market is tight, and pigeons that no fanciers really want, are going for $7 to $10 each! Ten clams for a pigeon? I can by flight conditioned chukar for less than $18..

A guy told me about a local pointing dog training group. They have quail shipped in and I can work with them for $5 each. Seems like a no-brainer, but I sure do miss the days of endless pigeons... especially $0 pigeons!

I'll look for those plans...

Hmmmm. Not where I thought they were. They're here.. it's just a question of where.. I'll keep looking. BTW, they were the LCS plans.

Update.. Struck out again! But, I did find something else I needed!! Correction, I had the Scott plans from Dogs Unlimited..

http://www.dogsunlimited.com/i/1576/scott-4-x-4-universal-pigeon-house-plans.htm

http://www.dogsafield.com/Scotts-Pigeon-House-Plans/productinfo/R159-092/#.WrLab-jwaiw

GraceinVA

Sandy (Bmeador) on this forum has a great set of detailed plans. Hopefully he will chime in and can send them but If not I have them saved somewhere and can send them when I get to my computer.

Actually I think there was a thread on here somewhere that he posted them

drummer's stump

I keep mine birds in a 12x16' gambrel shed with doors at both ends for ventilation. I have nest bowls on the ledges, and a free standing 8 hole sectional. I also have an area where I can force pair birds. I have a couple pairs of homers that hatched chicks every month last year. I keep 6 pairs and those 12 birds produced about 40 birds over the course of a summer.

bmeador

I've been doing pigeons for 25 years now.  My current set ups are a follows.

My current "breeding coop" is a 10 x 10 sectional dog kennel I wasn't needing.  Still in good shape.  Set it up in the area I wanted and covered all the chainlink with "chicken wire" - all but the door.  Then I completely covered the roof with same size chicken wire.  I then laid 2 x 4 x 12s (starting at back section) across the pen, over the wire at 2 foot intervals.   I stopped at the 8' mark.  Then I stapled the chicken wire to the 2 x 4s from inside the coop.  I used 12' sections of tin from Lowes to make the roof, only covering 8' of the entire roof area.  I covered the entire rear section and 4' of each side with PT 1/4" plywood. I then covered the remaining side areas with 6 x 6 brown tarps.  I then used 2 x 2 x 8s to make supports on the inside for the roof 2 x 4s - and attached cross piece 2 x 2 at various angles and heights for perches.  At the front of the coop.

For nesting.  I collected a bunch of plastic milk crates from 2 country stores that let me have as many as I wanted.  I bolted them together in a stack and then in a square, with the opening facing forward.  I then attached a frame to the entire square of crates that allowed me to attach it to the rear wall of the coop - the one with plywood.  I bolted on a 1 x 4 (or 2) across the face of each row of nesting boxes, approx. 1/2" above bottom of plastic.  This allows me to slide in a 13" x 13" piece of luan as a floor - one I can easily slide out and clean/replace as needed.

There might be pics on UJ somewhere, I can't remember if I posted them a while back.  But I'll shoot new ones here soon and post.  I also have a smaller "rabbit hutch" coop that I use only for homers - don't allow them to breed in there.  It will hold 10 bird easily.

Cooter Brown
4 hours ago, bmeador said:

I've been doing pigeons for 25 years now.  My current set ups are a follows.

My current "breeding coop" is a 10 x 10 sectional dog kennel I wasn't needing.  Still in good shape.  Set it up in the area I wanted and covered all the chainlink with "chicken wire" - all but the door.  Then I completely covered the roof with same size chicken wire.  I then laid 2 x 4 x 12s (starting at back section) across the pen, over the wire at 2 foot intervals.   I stopped at the 8' mark.  Then I stapled the chicken wire to the 2 x 4s from inside the coop.  I used 12' sections of tin from Lowes to make the roof, only covering 8' of the entire roof area.  I covered the entire rear section and 4' of each side with PT 1/4" plywood. I then covered the remaining side areas with 6 x 6 brown tarps.  I then used 2 x 2 x 8s to make supports on the inside for the roof 2 x 4s - and attached cross piece 2 x 2 at various angles and heights for perches.  At the front of the coop.

For nesting.  I collected a bunch of plastic milk crates from 2 country stores that let me have as many as I wanted.  I bolted them together in a stack and then in a square, with the opening facing forward.  I then attached a frame to the entire square of crates that allowed me to attach it to the rear wall of the coop - the one with plywood.  I bolted on a 1 x 4 (or 2) across the face of each row of nesting boxes, approx. 1/2" above bottom of plastic.  This allows me to slide in a 13" x 13" piece of luan as a floor - one I can easily slide out and clean/replace as needed.

There might be pics on UJ somewhere, I can't remember if I posted them a while back.  But I'll shoot new ones here soon and post.  I also have a smaller "rabbit hutch" coop that I use only for homers - don't allow them to breed in there.  It will hold 10 bird easily.

Thanks all--

I just gave away a 10x10 sectional kennel I wasn't using...

Mike Connally
On 3/22/2018 at 8:33 PM, Cooter Brown said:

Thanks all--

I just gave away a 10x10 sectional kennel I wasn't using...

I’ve got a 10x10 chain link kennel you could have, but I’m a long way from you. 

Cooter Brown
1 hour ago, Mike Connally said:

I’ve got a 10x10 chain link kennel you could have, but I’m a long way from you. 

18 hours ago, merimac said:

My buddy and I already built the coop.

Needs more ventilation, bobs and a settling cage but we got the hard part done a couple of weeks ago.  It's been so wet the other work was deferred.

Thanks to shinbone and his thread on his Coop Mahal for inspiring the design.

5b15a1cf5933c_bmanscoop.thumb.jpg.604e91c1255fb1d1f03a724bfb7bedd7.jpg

trust me

Raptors will perch on any available snag or tall tree and nab every bird that loafs on top of the coop.  Saw any tall trees in the vicinity of the coop, if possible.

Cooter Brown

This is at my buddy's place in Dublin.  The closest trees are probably 60 feet away at the wood line to the south.  Open on other sides.  Lots of raptors around the place...

Rick Hall

Fly them hungry, so they'll be anxious to get back in to eat, and/or late in the day when most raptors have already eaten something else.

Works for me - usually.

Flushing Whip

I'm a bit after the fact here--  but I raise white pigeons for weddings and funerals. A couple years ago Al redesigned my set up and it is so much better than what I had before. There are 25 boxes on one wall. The bottom piece slides out for easy cleaning.  On another wall there are 25 triangular perches with the point at the top. As the birds sit there, their dirt catches on the side of the triangle. I can go in and just scrape down with a tool and keep the area good and clean.This system keeps 90% of the dirt right there along that wall-- and there is a clean out door below the perching area.  If you look at the back view photo with the green door at the bottom-- that's where I pull all the dirt out.  As you can see, it's a walk-in building and it's rare that a bird craps on me now that we have this set up. I love how easy it is to clean and my birds are doing much better and are so much healthier. Hard to explain but will post a couple pics. I also put electric fence around the base and a bit higher because raccoons have been a problem for me in the past. I've been in this building now about 5 years and never had any kind of problem. He included 2 electrical plugs too so I can heat the water in winter etc. It's really been one of the nicest things he ever did for me and my bird hobby.

BTW, he has birds of his own but they had no boxes or such to assist with or encourage breeding. Last summer I went in and made some changes. (One good turn deserves another.) A local bakery sells 3 gallon white plastic buckets with lids for only $2.50 each. I bought ten of them and hung them along the wall in a group. The lid was cut to provide an opening plus a perching area. His birds thought they died and went to heaven. The lid piece snaps on and also off for easy cleaning. His containment area is chain link fencing so I used zip ties to hang the buckets. They were very easy to drill and do. Best 25 bucks I ever invested in his training birds and they love it.  Haven't taken pics but would if anyone is interested.

BirdPerching2.jpg

AviarySide.jpg

DoorSide.jpg

Cooter Brown

That's a really neat and tidy design, FW!