FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Dave Erickson

Summer Kennel Flies

Dave Erickson

I'm wondering if anyone has a good way of eliminating or at least reducing those pesky flies that hang around the dog runs. 

I noticed Gun Dog Supply is promoting a system called Fly Predators. Does anyone have any thoughts on this product or have other ways to deal with the flies?

http://www.gundogsupply.com/fly-predators.html?utm_source=Gun+Dog+Supply+Email+Specials+List&utm_campaign=3baf02c474-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_03_20&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_217eff1496-3baf02c474-38645159

Dave Erickson

I'll just add that I notice they are always snapping at flies while when I'm riding by on the lawnmower. I'd sure like to give them a break! 

YettanotherDog

We have used them for years with the horses and it reduces them a fair amount.  But I assume you keep your kennels pretty clean and they need the dog poo around to break the cycle of flies. 

Dave Erickson
On 3/26/2018 at 7:19 AM, YettanotherDog said:

We have used them for years with the horses and it reduces them a fair amount.  But I assume you keep your kennels pretty clean and they need the dog poo around to break the cycle of flies. 

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure they must be thriving on the runoff and the dogpoop before I can get there with the shovel. I'd certainly rather go with a less elaborate and expensive way to knock them down, but I also don't want to load the area up with pesticides. I'll keep looking into it.

bmeador

I make my own fly traps and the work great. You need 4 items - jug, 1 liter soda bottle with screw on top, duct tape and chicken meat, about 1/3 of a breast..

I use Arizona Tea 1/2 gallon tea jugs. (Think its that or the 1 gal - I'll check)  Wash it out, keep the top.  About 1/2 the way up the "front" - the narrow side facing you, handle towards the rear - cut a hole slightly larger than the top of the 1 liter soda bottle.  Cut the top, the drinking hole, off the soda bottle, keeping top.  Squeeze it a little and force it into the hole, up to the ridge that keeps it from slipping into the bigger jug.  Use the duct tape to secure it.

Cut the meat into chunks and stuff down the top of the jug - not soda bottle opening.  Add water to barely cover meat.  Replace top of jug.  Go hang it inside your kennels - I use a steel rod w/a 90 degree bend at end attached to a 6 x 6. The jug should hang, soda bottle opening downward on a slight angle, without water dripping out.  If water drips out, reduce water.  

As the meat ferments, the flies will find it.  They'll find soda bottle opening.  When they try to leave, they try to exit the top.  They will die trying to leave, falling back into water.  Once you think this initial jug is full, carefully get it down and cap the soda bottle opening - throw it away.

IT WORKS!!!!!!

Dave Erickson

Sounds very effective! Thanks! (A picture would be great.)

bmeador
On 3/30/2018 at 12:23 PM, Dave Erickson said:

Sounds very effective! Thanks! (A picture would be great.)

20180401_173854.jpg

bmeador

20180401_173912.jpg

bmeador

It IS a 1 gal. jug 

Dave Erickson

Thanks so much for the idea and picture. I'll have to try it. That's exactly the type of fly trap I was hoping to learn about!

dogrunner
On 4/1/2018 at 5:40 PM, bmeador said:

20180401_173854.jpg

Looks like your fly's like Southern style sweet tea what about Northern fly's?  ;)

bmeador
12 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

Looks like your fly's like Southern style sweet tea what about Northern fly's?  ;)

H#!!, those northern flies will drink anything!

topdog1961

As for those flies around the dogs, a product called Flys Off ointment is great. It repels flys and helps heal any sores previously caused by them. Every summer flys start in on my dogs ears. If I don't treat right away they can cause sores. This stuff really works. I just rub in in on their ears, plus a little at the base of their tail, and the flies leave them alone. It's long lasting, I only apply a couple times per summer.  I think it was originally developed for horses cause I could only find it at Tractor Supply. But I see now it's available on Amazon and most pet stores, and recommended for horses and dogs. One small tub will last years.