FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Curt

Real wet conditions boot?

Curt

I'm looking for a new pair of rubber/neoprene boots for hunting river/creek bottoms, etc.  My last pair were Bogs but there may be something better out there.  I like a snug, comfortable fit, tread for good traction, and good support.  What are you guys wearing and how do you like them?

versdog

I really like my Much Wetlands. My Dad had some bogs and sole separated.  

Swampy 16

I’ll second that . Muck Muck Muck. I’m on my second pair of wetlands and they’re as tough as the day is long. I did a LOT of rabbit jump hunting with the first pair and they held up to 7 seasons of torture. Then one day they met Mr. Barbed wire and they weren’t quite as dry anymore, but crazy glue fixed that. The problem was the neoprene uppers were shredded. They have since brought the rubber up higher and that has solved that problem. They are like wearing sneakers if you find a pair that fits. I don’t think they come in half sizes.

OldSarge

I wear the Lacrosse equivalent of the muck style boot. I tried on both but the Muck were too narrow for my flappers. 

mccuha

Well. I have lacrosse grangers and have always had them. They WERE a great boot but!   They began using a different kind of rubber that just doesn’t last. Up until this most previous pair I would get about 10 or so yrs out of them now this last pair is 3 yrs old and doesn’t show any signs of wear other than the cheap rubber they are made of is cracking all over.  Never had this to happen. A friend that always had grangers said he had a couple of pairs do the same thing so he’s moved on. I’m going to do the same. You know. You would think that if you had a good solid product why would you change anything other than making it better not the opposite 

paul s

I have the muck pursuit, they fit my foot better than any other type of rubber boot that I have tried. Plenty of support and good traction.

i liked them so much I wanted another pair, but they have discontinued my model. Went ahead and bought the new model of pursuit but they do not fit as well as my young original.

Dave Quindt

Not the cheapest option, but IMO made as a true boot designed to be walked in:  https://www.gumleafusa.com/

Windrider

I have Muck Wetlands for ease of use.

If I’m going to do serious walking it’s LL Bean 16” main hunting shied with a fair amount of snowseal applied during the off season.  I’ve set out decoys in these before.  The sole isn’t very grippy, but it sheds mud very effectively.

CptSydor

I went through a couple sets of boots in a year. I bought a set of Muck wetlands and they are still in great condition after plenty of use.

Rockdoc
4 hours ago, mccuha said:

Well. I have lacrosse grangers and have always had them. They WERE a great boot but!   They began using a different kind of rubber that just doesn’t last. Up until this most previous pair I would get about 10 or so yrs out of them now this last pair is 3 yrs old and doesn’t show any signs of wear other than the cheap rubber they are made of is cracking all over.  Never had this to happen. A friend that always had grangers said he had a couple of pairs do the same thing so he’s moved on. I’m going to do the same. You know. You would think that if you had a good solid product why would you change anything other than making it better not the opposite 

Thanks for the heads-up regarding Lacrosse boots. My current pair is about 10 years old and now I guess I'll be looking at Muck boots for next season.

Steve 

Wirehair
4 hours ago, mccuha said:

Same thing with me but I have always bought the Lacrosse Burlys. 

I tried on a pair of Mucks wetlands a few years ago but didn't like how they fit. 

I think when my current Lacrosse wear out I'm going to try the GumLeaf boots.

Rick Hall

Lacrosse Granges are the Louisiana State boot, maybe even officially.  But even before they went to crap, I was trying other options looking for something that handled slick ground better than the Grange's skate...er, "chevron" soles.  Even cut the legs off some of the now discontinued Cabela's "Ultimate Guide" hip boots to take advantage of their air-bob soles.  

Finally saw mention (on this board, I think) of poor boy version Le Chameaus and found a great combination of durability and traction in their natural rubber construction and lugged soles.   Between work and play, my first pair saw miles and miles and miles of high weeds and blackberry vines before finally succumbing to wear from the later.  Current pair is the County Vibram(?) running around $120 on Ebay and well worth every penny compared to slippery Lacrosses that don't last me a third as long.

WMassGriff

Bought a pair of Granges last fall to replace a pair that was many years old and had the tread worn off. I was shocked how thin the rubber was and really surprised with the shallow tread on the new ones. Won't get through many seasons with these. I shyed away from Bogs as I didn't want any insulation.

Several of my friends use Le Chameaus and rave about them in warm through coolish weather without sweaty feet. They also seem to really hold up to the terrain and provide good traction. Their boots have held up for many seasons and that's good cause they sure are pricey!

Tom Avent

I realize the initial cost might be prohibitive. The Le Chameau Chasseurs leather lined is the best boot on the market. I've had mine for 20 years. Dollar for dollar, that cannot be beat for value. Also, the boots are very comfortable.

Moomps

I have a pair of Muck boots and have had them for over 10 years.  They are very comfortable and warm enough to wear in the winter.  I think they're great.