FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
BlacknTan

Electric or Internal Combustion

BlacknTan

My Ortho guy, the guy who will, in all probability give me my new knee this year, owns a Tesla. He's a car guy, and likes to talk about it. He claims the equivalent of 700 hp, and will blow off most any gas powered car. I like fast cars, always have. I don't have the reflexes for it anymore, but that doesn't mean I'm smart enough to refrain.He states that there's no noise to it. How can you go 0-60 and not experience, noise, smoke, vibration and all the other qualities of past performance?

Maybe I'd lose the race, but give me good old internal combustion, and all that that entails, anyday..

Do you embrace the future, or stick to the past like me?

Jazz4Brazo

Guess they are OK if you want to stop every 2 hrs for a 1 hr recharge...kinda takes the fun out of across country trip...me I am waiting for them to perfect the transporter.

Beam me up Scotty!!

gunsrus

NEVER an electric car in my garage . Buddy has a Telsa , took it to Fla with another buddy . Horror show trying to find the "Super fast" charging ports . Bad parts of City's , garages and people know you got money driving a $100,000 car ....... also he said it was scary looking for a charging port with "x" # of minutes left . Mileage changes with lights on , windshield wipers going , radio running ............Give me the old Chevy 327 any day . 

BlacknTan

Yes, I guess the range thing is an issue. I can't afford one anyway, but I'd like to feel it flat out... just to say I did, I guess. I also don't know about sitting on that magnetic field, but my reproductive years are also over, so I guess it's a moot point...

Marc Ret

Funny timing. I was finishing up a small job for some friends of mine today and was talking to my buddy about Teslas. He's a salesman for a local Mercedes dealer and mentioned they just took one in on trade. "Scary fast" were his words. He said it's unnerving to go from a dead stop to 60mph in a matter of seconds and not hear any engine noise. Apparently two other salesman took it out for a while and both complained of being sick in the stomach due to the odd sensation of driving the car. 

Not for this white boy. I like all 445 cubic inches of Diesel engine noise I've got under my hood. 

25/06
2 hours ago, BlacknTan said:

Maybe I'd lose the race, but give me good old internal combustion, and all that that entails, anyday..

Do you embrace the future, or stick to the past like me?

So Gas powered or Coal Fired are the only options in the future? I don't thinks so but who knows.

Race him 2 out of three 1/4 mile runs. At lunatic setting in a Tesla, I do not think his car will make 2 quarter mile passes. He wins the first pass, you win the second pass as he loses juice. You win grudge pass going 30mph on your way home. He will be sitting there for 3-4 hours, because when those cars are dead all they way they are slow to charge.

oak stob

It appears to me that a Tesla would attract people.......a turn-off right there.

JonR

Tesla's Model S is pretty amazing, speed-wise (their electric motors make maximum HP at 0 RPM, so the acceleration will put most any street legal car to shame) But I doubt many North Americans will ever buy an electric as their primary vehicle. As a second commuter car, sure. But all but useless for any trip over 300 miles from home. 

I suppose one could rent a vehicle for family trips, but most rental agreements specify no dogs and no use off pavement so using a renter for hunting/fishing trips would be out for most of us. 

bruski

Actually I'm waiting for the Infernal combustion engine.

Hell of a speed I hear.

Spin

Like it or not Internal combustion is on it's way out and as time goes by the impetus to ditch it will make sure it's a thing of the past. GM killed their early electric

commuter car and those who owned (or better state "leased" their cars where in love with them.

Me thinks some here protests too much. A macho thing or simply the very human tendency to chose the familiar, known, over an as yet, the unknown and seemingly unproven.

Or perhaps we should stop and think for a moment about the very much known popularity of Hybrid's.

I guess we haven't had enough deleterious effects from a changing and unstable climate. That will come to pass inexorably after a sufficient amount of suffering occurs.

It's like Elephant's Foot. A some point Everybody has to admit it's there and something actually Has to be done. Wow! Reality, what a concept!  In the meantime Battery technology is moving along nicely

and 300 mile trips are within reach. That and more, much more are on the cusp. Besides 300 miles is along poke for the majority of internal combustion engine vehicles. What it boils down to is energy source availability. How easy will it be to "Fill Up or should I say Charge Up and it's actually much easier to put up a charging station than a gas station and less problems keeping one up.

Here's an intriguing little truck that may just be making the scene in the not too distant future. Tesla isn't the only iron in the fire.

https://www.startengine.com/atlis-motor-vehicles?utm_source=adroll&utm_campaign=strategy&utm_medium=web&utm_content=web

Dakota Dogman

I want the roar.... or at least a nice grumbling under the hood.  A noiseless engine doesn't cover the noise of the kids in the car.  

Funny thing, I was laughing with my cousin the other day. He showed up at a family funeral in a new Dodge Challenger. I commented "cute car". His wife got real defensive, "THis is not a cute car! This thing is HOT!"  I did a double take at the mis-understanding.... and clarified that I was dreaming of a newer 15 passenger van & compared to that his car looked really fun to me!

God Bless, 

dogrunner

I thought I would be driving like George Jetson by now, nope still stuck in traffic and hitting Huge potholes in the worst road state in the nation. :(

Marc Ret
19 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

I thought I would be driving like George Jetson by now, nope still stuck in traffic and hitting Huge potholes in the worst road state in the nation. :(

When did you move to PA?

rideold

We have Nissan Leafs for our pool cars at work. Darn fun to drive. Doesn't matter to me what kind of motor is under the hood. The drive is what I care about. I'd own one if I had the money. Till electric comes down to 15 year old used car prices I'll have to stick to my gas guzzling truck. 

quailguy
4 hours ago, BlacknTan said:

I like fast cars, always have. I don't have the reflexes for it anymore, but that doesn't mean I'm smart enough to refrain.He states that there's no noise to it. How can you go 0-60 and not experience, noise, smoke, vibration and all the other qualities of past performance?

My old college room mate has a Tesla X; goes like a bat outa hell. No noise, no vibration.