REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
BlacknTan

Electric or Internal Combustion

Jazz4Brazo

Good point...never thought of the heater aspect...curious to hear how that works real world.

quailguy
40 minutes ago, Jazz4Brazo said:

Good point...never thought of the heater aspect...curious to hear how that works real world.

From the folks at "Quora" :  Different vehicles have different systems.
Tesla has regular air heater to heat the cabin. As it has large battery heating takes only few percents of the whole battery. It uses AC compressor to cool the cabin and even battery while supercharging.

Spin
1 hour ago, Birdcountry70 said:

Nothing sounds as good as a powerfull gas powered v-8 with a good exhaust system.  Everthing else should be as quiet as possible in my opinion.  I'm wondering how a full electric vehicle accomplishes heater and defroster functions??  Surely not by electric heating elements.  That would send you looking for a charging station in a hurry I would think.  My area requires a heater 9 months per year so if it isn't a problem thats been figured out then it's another big reason why electric still isn't realistic here. 

Lithium batteries create quit a bit of heat. Keeping them cool and at optimum temperature might even be an issue. If this is pertinent to the technology that is currently involved or may be involved in the near future? I don't really know. A call to the BIL might prove informative.

P.S. Nuts posted and a couple of other members  pretty much nailed the questions at hand. If I was any slower I'd be going backwards!

Birdcountry, I like a roar throttling down to a strong purr on the super slab but for me engine noise can get annoying after a time. Long trips on a motorcycle or snowmobile really drives that home. The idea of a practical  electric pickup slipping down the two tracks in the woods and being dead quiet is appealing.

dogrunner

Big Solar farm in the country. They would like you to plug in those mini cars that don’t sell very well.   ;)

8080A603-1033-4318-8494-AF896CD46A5A.jpeg

martyg

Many super cars are embracing a combination of electric and internal combustion.

I have been a very happy Tesla stock owner but doubt that I'd have the occasion to purchase another vehicle out of necessity in my remaining lifetime.

martyg
22 hours ago, Jazz4Brazo said:

Guess they are OK if you want to stop every 2 hrs for a 1 hr recharge...kinda takes the fun out of across country trip...me I am waiting for them to perfect the transporter.

Beam me up Scotty!!

So you are driving 150 mph?

Zoli 16ga.

if you drive only 60 or 70 miles a day for work and such, they are a great alternative. might cost you a couple bucks a week....if that in juice.

no oil changes

no mufflers to rust

no water pumps, anti freeze

no plugs to foul

no tune ups

no injectors or carbs

no manifolds or gaskets

Test drive one, doesn't have to be a tesla, and you'll see just how practical they are for everyday living. 

PaFlyfisher

They are remarkable. 

Right now they leave something to be desired for long trips, but most people don't have to drive that far everyday. For a household with a second car for long trips, to have a Tesla as a daily would be amazing. 

My lone experience was being picked up in one from the airport by a car service. This is a car that is on the road constantly. It had an ungodly number of miles. The driver, who also owned the car service, said it has been inexpensive to own with almost no issues. I like cars and we got to talking about the car's performance. It was very early in the morning and he merged onto an uncrowded freeway with it floored. I never experienced acceleration like that. Apparently gas muscle cars are better at high speeds, but the real-world acceleration to highway speeds and beyond is something to experience. 

Flush

On 3/31/2018 at 3:27 PM, Zoli 16ga. said:

no water pumps, anti freeze

I'm not particularly pro or con of electric vehicles, they have their place....

Just wanted to point out Teslas do have water pumps and antifreeze.  Used to cool the batteries/electronics.

They are actually very complex vehicles. They do do get rid of a lot of the convetional components that fail, but they actually add in a whole bunch of new things that can and do fail, many electronics related.

Teslas to date have been at or below average reliability via consumer reports.

There are certainly some advantages to electric vehicles, but being electric doesn't gurantee superior reliabilty.

Zoli 16ga.

I'll ask my brother in law. he's owns  one, and has had a couple, a Mitsubishi and now a Kia. tesla is but a small fraction of the electric car market. Not for the mainstream driver I'd say.

BlacknTan

Just got back from the third Orthovisc shot in my knee. My doc, the one with the Tesla, did it himself. He's a car guy, and he loves to talk cars. He said his model has two electric motors... One for the front wheels, and one for the rears. We had some sloppy snow this morning, so I asked why I didn't see his Tesla in the parking lot. He laughed... said that car would kill him in those conditions... He must have had his wife's SUV...

I'd love to drive one.... I told him if he ever wants the carbon blown out to let me know.... But, I guess the only carbon would be off the motor brushes..:D

Maybe after he does my knee....

Flush
28 minutes ago, Zoli 16ga. said:

tesla is but a small fraction of the electric car market. 

Long term I tend to agree this will be the case, and perhaps maybe that is already true globally, but currently in the US Tesla holds the number one market share spot, by about a factor of 2.

In Canada, Tesla may have slipped to the number 2 spot in popularity now, but a year ago Teslas were the most common EV in Canada. 

Anyway, I would agree that the Japanese EVs are likely to be more reliable than Teslas for a host of reasons, but currently Tesla is the dominate brand of EV in North America.

Craig Conroy

A friend was passed by a Tesla on a lonely stretch of WI Highway 35, South of Superior, where there often is little traffic.  He said it was other worldly, as the roadster blew buy him in almost total silence (he had the windows down on a nice spring day). 

I think we'd all tend to leave our "hot" cars home on a slushy, slippery morning.  I still remember how bad my '69 Charger was on snow, before I would switch out the 60 series for the original wheels and tires.  And it wasn't all that great with them ;).

PaFlyfisher
On 3/31/2018 at 1:08 AM, quailguy said:

Oh the whole damn thing is as stupid as it can be from an actual power generation standpoint. Some of these folks act like the power fairy sends them electricity made out of thin air. Nonetheless Elon Musk's cars are a helluva lot of fun to drive. My friend's Tesla is a fun car and is actually well made. He got the one that needs charging at 240 miles. I think another $6-8k would have gotten them to 340 miles. But they have to do some close figuring on power charging stations when they travel. And that 240 miles is AC on, lights on, GPS on, stereo going, the whole enchilada.

You know that an electric engine produces a helluva lot more torque, pound for pound, than an internal combustion engine. These Teslas have an electric engine for each wheel and do they scoot! 

Less and less power is made from coal, more and more from natural gas. Renewable sources growing. Unsure how this isn't better than individuals driving gas burning cars over the long term? 

Another issue is that in many places there is less and less a need for owning a personal vehicle, or at least owning fewer per household. That is the future as well. 

BlacknTan

I never paid much attention to these cars, but this appears to be the one my Ortho doc has..

https://www.tesla.com/models

0-60 in 2.5?? Yikes

I remember as a kid, when the '64 GTO came out. It reportedly did 0-60 in 5.2, and that was a fast car in it's day... still seems pretty quick to me. But,  2.5 seconds?

Can anyone figure how many g's that would put on one's body?