FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
fourtrax57

Tail gate inspection reminder

fourtrax57

All of us here as bird hunters and dog owners run our dogs afield. After a trip afield be it hunting or just a fun run I set each K9 participant (individually of course) up on the tail gate.

I examine the eyes, ears, lips / inside of the mouth, feet and pads for foreign objects and clean / remove as necessary.

I run my hands gently over the entire body feeling for twigs, stickers, burrs, wounds & abrasions, ticks, cuts, holes, etc etc etc.

I examine the pads for cuts, nails for broken ones. I palpate the toes individually. I check between the toes for cuts, lumps, and foreign objects.

Dog is combed with a steel comb for burrs & ticks. A pat & a treat & I'm done. 

Once you have a routine established & the dogs accustomed, it only takes a couple minutes per dog - unless you own a burr magnet...............

I have found innumerable awns, burrs, cuts, lumps, ticks etc over time. I KNOW I have saved myself some substantial Vet bills.

I have had to have awns removed a couple times over the years from dogs. I have found several puncture wounds while still fresh.

studdog

X2 plus.  I believe a top protective vest like a K9 Topcoat can prevent lots of injuries.

fourtrax57

I use the cabelas chest protectors.

Like this:

23w8kjs.jpg

gunsrus
46 minutes ago, fourtrax57 said:

All of us here as bird hunters and dog owners run our dogs afield. After a trip afield be it hunting or just a fun run I set each K9 participant (individually of course) up on the tail gate.

I examine the eyes, ears, lips / inside of the mouth, feet and pads for foreign objects and clean / remove as necessary.

I run my hands gently over the entire body feeling for twigs, stickers, burrs, wounds & abrasions, ticks, cuts, holes, etc etc etc.

I examine the pads for cuts, nails for broken ones. I palpate the toes individually. I check between the toes for cuts, lumps, and foreign objects.

Dog is combed with a steel comb for burrs & ticks. A pat & a treat & I'm done. 

Once you have a routine established & the dogs accustomed, it only takes a couple minutes per dog - unless you own a burr magnet...............

I have found innumerable awns, burrs, cuts, lumps, ticks etc over time. I KNOW I have saved myself some substantial Vet bills.

I have had to have awns removed a couple times over the years from dogs. I have found several puncture wounds while still fresh.

Well done Steve . This is a thorough exam and a good reminder . When I bought the '99 Tahoe , grousemobile , I had a choice of barn doors or tailgate . I bought the tailgate for this reason . 

Wyobirds

I double vest my Annie, a French Brit.   I put a vest on her to protect her chest and belly and another vest to protect her back. She is fearless when going through/under barbed wire, Russian Olive thickets or any bush with stickers.  Prior to double vesting her, I frequently had to take her to our vet to get stitched up.

The vests don't inhibit ticks from attaching to her and yesterday I pulled one off of her chest.

I too inspect my dogs after each outing and after a hard days hunting, I flush their eyes with Saline solution and you should see the debris that flushes out.  

Virgil Kane

156.thumb.JPG.e848b82a75d3e446b46bb9ca4e517ed3.JPG

Same here Steve.  Cabela's vest and a good checking over followed by a steel flea comb all while on the tailgate.

Good advice for anyone.

Virgil

studdog

Look up K9 topcoat.  Great protection!

Jake

Absolutely I do that too. Our partners deserve no less. 

Brad Eden

IMG_0647.JPG

Picked up Cash this morning after his first haircut of the year. Having this short hair in fall hunting season also helps when checking for injuries on tailgate etc. I do keep extra fur on his chest and belly for the fall cut to help with brush abrasions.

IMG_0620.JPG

I typically vest him (Also Cabelas) during seer seasons and with snow because his coloration makes him disappear in the snowy woods. 

Jack L

Agree 100% on the vest. My dogs started wearing them after my  Maggie cut herself on barbwire .  The vests take a beating . Have to believe  they save wear and tear on the dogs.

Clamcy

78591716-21B8-405B-943C-42958C48CAB7.jpeg

Duke 

F58A9CA4-A98C-4AFD-BEBA-BC0F126A86CA.jpeg

braque du upstate

Good reminder. Head to toe assessments are the bread and butter of the medical field.  Watch a good vet ,or a good nurse. They stop and do a thorough inspection.  Doesn't take long.  I'm  guilty of blowing off tailgate checks. Pup deserves it more than most humans .