• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Korthaar

School's in session for Amos

Korthaar

He's not quite 4mos. Nothing heavy. Just a little find and fetch. Lots of walks in the bush. He is already solid on the house commands just from seeing me interacting with Attie and a little clicker reinforcement when he gets it. He is so big that I forget how young he is. His love for water and retrieving makes me wonder if there is lab in him. 

20180331_123737-01.jpeg

20180331_123740-01.jpeg

paul frey

He's a beauty! Best of luck with him

Cooter Brown

Nice looking pup.

Have you used the clicker method before?  Never tried it but I like the idea.

Korthaar
37 minutes ago, Cooter Brown said:

Nice looking pup.

Have you used the clicker method before?  Never tried it but I like the idea.

Yes. I like it for timing and consistency purposes. It is an aid to let the dog know it is doing the behavior you want right when it happens quickly and consistently. I trained my other gsp with it. I'm no professional trainer, but I find it to be great for the basic yard training commands. Come, kennel whoah, heel, sit, foot fetch etc. Pups quickly associate the sound with performing a task correctly. I've trained many dogs without it, but I find these two have picked up their commands quicker this way. The sound doesn't vary like the tone and enthusiasm of our voices and our demeanor. The click action lends to spot on timing.  This pup knows the commands above just from a couple of 5-10 minute sessions a day.  As he ages, the clicker is set aside, as he thoroughly knows what is asked of him. Then it is a matter of negative reinforcement when he opts to test you. I don't use a clicker in field training. I can't see much of an application for it there.

gunsrus

Nice looking pup .

Cooter Brown
1 hour ago, Korthaar said:

The sound doesn't vary like the tone and enthusiasm of our voices and our demeanor.

All good stuff, but I like this particularly.  I feel whistle commands can accomplish the same thing in the field.

Korthaar
10 hours ago, Cooter Brown said:

All good stuff, but I like this particularly.  I feel whistle commands can accomplish the same thing in the field.

Agreed.