• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
WI Outdoor Nut

The Woodcock dance

RuffChaser
1 hour ago, NW River Mac said:

The second date I had with my wife was behind an old farm watching this crazy ritual.  I guess it did the trick... 

Did you try to re-enact it for her?? I guess the corkscrew flight would have been tough so maybe not.

bill
On 4/3/2018 at 5:49 PM, RuffChaser said:

I don't think they'll know enough to do that. Migration is like a compulsion. For their sake I hope they could fight it and fly back South but I don't think most can fight the urge to stay once they get here. From what the biologist I know believe they feel it is males looking to establish territories that get back first. I hate to see any of them die especially like this but I fear the worst for them. If the biologists are right and they are males it's not as bad for the population. It's a bad deal for any living thing to go that way but they've been doing this for a long time so it won;t be the first or last time it happens.

My guess this spring alot of migrate birds where in for surprise  this spring still seeing a few goldfinch  passing by our bird feeders have 3 pair of Blue birds already on nest a phoebe on the fan on the porch. Have heard  WOODCock last 2 mornings Turkey hunting could be residents or transients but its been a cold windy now weT Spring for sure in my neck of the woods for sure. Garden veggies will be behind  too ref cold nights. But have called up and killed 2 fat tom turkeys this spring just hope rains quit for awhile be some young turks hatched soon.