• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
quailguy

Dr Rollin's April News Letter

406dn
57 minutes ago, Dick Sellers said:

Winter isn't giving up yet here in MT.  More snow on the way.

In what may end up with me eating crow,,,, I've drained the gas from the snowblowers. I intend to let mother nature handle the snow removal chores. We are supposed to get another 6 inches of so tonight. I think there is enough moisture for the grass to green up,,, if it ever warms up.

Sage Hen

Looking bleak for much of the country. I'm glad Idaho seems to have dodged the bullet, after last winter our birds could use a break. We had a mild winter but are at about 100% of average water content. Hoping to see a strong nesting season. 

Bill Calton

At my place here on the east central plains of New Mexico, since Oct 6 I have recorded one small rain in Oct and .4 in mid February.  I've counted on my fingers and that's 6 months with essentially zero precip and none in sight.  Hard to grow weeds.  On a little brighter note there are several pairs of bobs and blues visiting my feeder.  27 degrees last night but all the fruit was already gone and that is probably the last freeze for the high plains of Texas and here.  Pecans and wild plums are just starting.

quailguy
2 hours ago, Bill Calton said:

At my place here on the east central plains of New Mexico, since Oct 6 I have recorded one small rain in Oct and .4 in mid February.  I've counted on my fingers and that's 6 months with essentially zero precip and none in sight.  Hard to grow weeds.

Man that is tough, I hope things improve. My hunting bud west of San Antonio was in the same situation until last week we they got 6 inches of rain in one day. 

Looking at all the reports, even though I'm now far away in NE PA where there is no drought, it sure looks like this year is not going to be pretty,

birdhuntervet

Generally speaking, tapeworms are not a big deal. Ugly, horrendous looking critters, but not a big deal pathologically unless the species sets up cysts in the brain. 

HAMMER DOG

The drought in Western Ok is causing havoc right now, over 1/4 of a million acres burned already and no end in sight for several days at best.

On the parasite issue the ODWC most recent report stated the eyeworm issue is something being blown out of proportion completely with no backing science for mortality and he also discusses it is common in other species not just quail.

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/OKDWC/bulletins/1e41a87

Wade Free who they reference is a long time friend and as hard core a Quail hunter as you will find, he burns plenty of shoe leather and has some great dogs and he and I were talking about this last month even in regards to the past season. The 3 seasons he refers to were all the same as this past one, very little humidity so little we hardly ever had frost and for me personally one difference is I do not have the string of dogs I had then, when you have 20 dogs you can much more easily put those dry nosed dogs on the ground and get better results, unfortunately I did not have that luxury this season and just don't have any great dry nose dogs right now like my old Maddie, Gus and Chase were.

mccuha
2 hours ago, HAMMER DOG said:

The drought in Western Ok is causing havoc right now, over 1/4 of a million acres burned already and no end in sight for several days at best.

On the parasite issue the ODWC most recent report stated the eyeworm issue is something being blown out of proportion completely with no backing science for mortality and he also discusses it is common in other species not just quail.

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/OKDWC/bulletins/1e41a87

Wade Free who they reference is a long time friend and as hard core a Quail hunter as you will find, he burns plenty of shoe leather and has some great dogs and he and I were talking about this last month even in regards to the past season. The 3 seasons he refers to were all the same as this past one, very little humidity so little we hardly ever had frost and for me personally one difference is I do not have the string of dogs I had then, when you have 20 dogs you can much more easily put those dry nosed dogs on the ground and get better results, unfortunately I did not have that luxury this season and just don't have any great dry nose dogs right now like my old Maddie, Gus and Chase were.

I coworker hunts in OK exclusively and he like others as well as I did in TX were not able to find the bird no.'s as in the last few seasons. Anyway his contacts out that way said they were not seeing birds during the season but here recently they are everywhere. I'm thinking scenting conditions were partly to blame for lack of quail finds. I know one particular spot I hunted this year was covered with roosts . Everywhere you looked there was one but never found a single bird. Scenting was awful

HAMMER DOG
Just now, mccuha said:

I coworker hunts in OK exclusively and he like others as well as I did in TX were not able to find the bird no.'s as in the last few seasons. Anyway his contacts out that way said they were not seeing birds during the season but here recently they are everywhere. I'm thinking scenting conditions were partly to blame for lack of quail finds. I know one particular spot I hunted this year was covered with roosts . Everywhere you looked there was one but never found a single bird. Scenting was awful

Yep scenting conditions were definitely horrible as bad as they can get pretty much, I know every hunt I was having to flush my sinuses and my dogs were no better, like you mention I was seeing roosts but the only times we found the birds nearby was the very early morning when they had just come off the roosts. I went Turkey hunting the opening weekend and heard more birds calling than I expected as well, so I think Wade is on the money in his assessment of the situation.

mccuha
Just now, HAMMER DOG said:

Yep scenting conditions were definitely horrible as bad as they can get pretty much, I know every hunt I was having to flush my sinuses and my dogs were no better, like you mention I was seeing roosts but the only times we found the birds nearby was the very early morning when they had just come off the roosts. I went Turkey hunting the opening weekend and heard more birds calling than I expected as well, so I think Wade is on the money in his assessment of the situation.

my coworker was out there opening weekend. He always duck hunt's in the morning for a couple hrs then goes bird hunting. While he's hunting he'll listen for them whistling as they come off the roost. He said opening morning he knows he heard 8 different covies and about an hour later he went after them. He didn't strike a single covey.

I do have some feeling that the drought may weaken the birds making some of them prone to disease but now not sure if more of it was related to humidity.

In TX we would get up early and go listen for covies. Maybe an hr later we would go after the birds we marked. I distinctly remember being able to find maybe half of what we heard.

Bill Calton

I got the email from OK game and fish essentially making a flat statement that eyeworms had been around a long time and could not be the problem with quail populations.  I think it is too soon to be making conclusions.  People first need to take a careful look at the red grouse studies by Dr. Hudson.  Caecal worms had been observed and written about in grouse at least 100 years (1873) and since they had been around always few people thought they could be responsible for failing grouse numbers.  

Over the long run animal populations are a near run thing.  It does not take much to get them our of whack.  Eyeworms may not be a problem for quail but we will not know until we have some studies similar to Hudson's experiments in Scotland.

I don't want to say too much about quail research by the OK game and fish but would make comments by PM for anyone interested.

quailguy
13 hours ago, Bill Calton said:

I got the email from OK game and fish essentially making a flat statement that eyeworms had been around a long time and could not be the problem with quail populations.  I think it is too soon to be making conclusions.  People first need to take a careful look at the red grouse studies by Dr. Hudson.  Caecal worms had been observed and written about in grouse at least 100 years (1873) and since they had been around always few people thought they could be responsible for failing grouse numbers.  

Over the long run animal populations are a near run thing.  It does not take much to get them our of whack.  Eyeworms may not be a problem for quail but we will not know until we have some studies similar to Hudson's experiments in Scotland.

I don't want to say too much about quail research by the OK game and fish but would make comments by PM for anyone interested.

Good post ^^^^.

IMHO there is no doubt that during times of drought or other acute stressors quail or other game populations can be and are negatively affected. Adding in additional problems such as eye worms can cause more problems. This is happening not only to quail in the Great Plains, but with red grouse in the UK and now WNV in ruffed grouse in at least PA.

Red grouse shooting is a major rural issue in the UK and one to which they have paid a lot of attention.

mister grouse

Hopefully forecasts  are correct and some of that country is getting rain in next few days.

Scar

I've killed birds with worms in the chest.  I can't say they looked like the photograph and certainly can't be sure they were identical to the worms discussed.  It makes sense to me that hot, dry weather would make the birds more susceptible to parasites. 

We've had cooler weather with a bit of rain in April.  The weatherman says a chance for more rain next week.  As always it's not as much as we want but it sure beats the dry weather we had in March.