2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
bigjohnsd

Pheasant Sausage - A big hit!

bigjohnsd

As I went through the freezer I noted an excess of packages of Pheasant Thighs and some marked "torn up breasts"  Pete is still learning!

On a snowy spring day I opened up my copy of "Hot Links & Country Flavors" and lo and behold there was a recipe for Pheasant & Wild Mushroom Sausage!

I thawed the packages and after cleanup and draining had about six pounds of meat.

Recipe calls for one pound so after adjustment I was ready to go:

1 # boned pheasant

1/2 # pork back fat

2 tsp kosher salt

1 tsp chopped fresh thyme

1/3 cup dried shitake mushrooms ( soak in hot water for 30 min then drain and chop)

2 Tbsp Brandy (Calvados, apple or any brandy will do)

pinch freshly grated nutmeg

1/2 t allspice

1/4 tsp dried sage

2 tsp chopped shallots (I've substituted white onions in a pinch)

1 tsp coarsely ground pepper

1 Tbsp chopped chives

lamb or small hog casings (I use hog)

I mix all of the ingredients less the pheasant and pork fat into a bowl.

I grind the pheasant pieces and pork fat through a quarter inch plate.  while grinding the meat/fat I periodically spoon in some of the spice mixture to assist in the blending.  

Once all ground I add any spice mixture left and blend in mixer bowl with a dough hook or other mixer attachment suitable for heavy mixing.  Don't overwork!!

At this point it is important to fry up a couple of "testers" to check the spice blend!   :)

I then chill mixture and let it sit for a couple of hours.

Stuff the mixture into small hog casings, I make links about 8" in length, two make a good size portion.  

I cook these by putting in covered skillet with several T of olive oil and about 1/2 in water.  When at a good boil I remove top and keep turning until moisture has evaporated and links are golden brown.

This sausage has a wonderful fresh springlike flavor and is great in a bun or served with sauteed red cabbage and new potatoes.

I cook the cabbage by slicing it very thin and then cooking in a covered pan with a little vinegar and a little sugar, two times as much vinegar as sugar.

Damn, it is almost lunch time and I think there is one package left!!! :D

SARGENT
We make sausage everyspring from the left over birds.  We then take them up north for opening fishing and keep a few packs for the summer. Last year we did a Italian recipe that turned out great.    Thanks for the recipe!

sxsneubaum
I wish I would have had this recipe last fall.  I made about 10 lbs of sausage.  They were too dry.  This appears to be a better recipe, will keep it and try it soon.

Phred

I hope Brad or Alan move this down to the Recipe Forum for posterity.  It looks excellent.  Thanks for putting it up.

I was lucky enough to unearth a half a dozen frozen grouse breasts the other day.  I thought I was done for the year and I'm looking forward to one more game dinner.  I guess it pays to dig to the bottom of the freezer once in a while.

Phred

bigjohnsd

I guess i should have looked further, I didn't see a recipe forum, my bad.

BRAD - please move to appropriate place

bigjohnsd
Don't forget to save the shot up birds and pieces for this excellent sausage recipe guys!

bigjohnsd
Recipe calls for one pound so after adjustment I was ready to go:

1 # boned pheasant

1/2 # pork shoulder (any fatty pork meat will work)

1 tsp chopped fresh thyme

1/3 cup dried shitake mushrooms ( soak in hot water for 30 min then drain and chop)

1/4 cup Jack Daniels

pinch freshly grated nutmeg (can substitute ground)

1/2 tsp allspice

1/4 tsp dried sage

2 tsp chopped shallots (I've substituted white onions in a pinch)

1 tsp coarsely ground pepper

1 Tbsp chopped chives

1 pkg of dried apples (1 oz as I recall)

lamb or small hog casings (I use hog)

I mix all of the ingredients less the pheasant and pork fat into a bowl.

Debone pheasant, 1 pheasant will yield about 1#the of meat.  We do this with 60 pheasants, it scales up well.  You can reduce the spice and the liquid in bulk quantities.

Cut up the pork shoulder.

Brine the meat in Morton's Cure #1 overnight to reduce risk of botulism.

good idea with any homemade fresh sausage. Follow Morton pkg directions as to amount of cure to use.  No other salt needed.

Drain the meat well.

Grind the pheasant pieces and pork through a quarter inch plate.  while grinding the meat/fat I periodically spoon in some of the spice mixture to assist in the blending.  

Once all ground I add any spice mixture left and blend in mixer bowl with a dough hook or other mixer attachment suitable for heavy mixing.  Don't overwork!!

At this point it is important to fry up a couple of "testers" to check the spice blend!   :)

I then chill mixture and let it sit for a couple of hours.

Stuff the mixture into small hog casings, I make bratwurst sizedlinks about 8" in length, two make a good size portion (about 4 ounce links).  

I cook these by putting in covered skillet with several T of olive oil and about 1/2 in water.  When at a good boil I remove top and keep turning until moisture has evaporated and links are golden brown.

This sausage has a wonderful fresh springlike flavor and is great in a bun or served with sauteed red cabbage and new potatoes.

I cook the cabbage by slicing it very thin and then cooking in a covered pan with a little vinegar and a little sugar, two times as much vinegar as sugar.

Damn, it is almost lunch time and I think there is one package left!!! :D

2011 Recipe modifications; as served at Midwest UJFest and Catskill Shindig.

dogrunner
Thank you.  :D

redrockin7
Am going to try this with some leftover birds.... thanks!

polecat
Pretty darn good with a cold one also.

Laminarman
Big John, YOU made those sausages at Catskill from THIS recipe??  They were just AWESOME. Thank you for sharing!

redrockin7
Finally got a grinder and stuffer, may try it out this weekend...

bigjohnsd

Recipe says Morton Cure #1, should read "Mortons Tender Quick"

Cure #1 requires the use of additional salt when you mix the brine, I can't tell you how much but we used more than a cup for 45 # of meat.

redrockin7
Quick question re: the apples.... I don't see anything about grinding them up with the meat, but I assume you could? Or do you just dice them up and mix them in with the rest of the dry ingredients?

bigjohnsd
Quick question re: the apples.... I don't see anything about grinding them up with the meat, but I assume you could? Or do you just dice them up and mix them in with the rest of the dry ingredients?

Everything gets ground together