FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Tom Avent

Lord Stanley's Cup - New season time

Ben Hong
3 hours ago, jeff88 said:

Pens definitely did not match the Phlyers in any facet of the game last night.  Agree with KGB, that was not karma, it just was a bad night particularly on the dee side of the ice for PGH.  Murray did not look sharp either.  Credit to Philly, they wanted the game really badly and played that way.  It's a series, am not getting hung up yet.  Still, and particularly for Big Al:

GO PENS!

I have been around hockey and hockey teams enough to “hear” the undertones of the talk after a team has been humiliated. Whatever you want to call it...karma, hate, humiliation, embarassment, whatever the sentiment is after a shellacking, it is real and the beaten team wants revenge.

Big Al

Lightning playing Lightning hockey.  Fast and prolific.  Who knew?

Big Al

Johnson and Kucherov both scored for the Bolts today.  NBC put these stats up.  Surprised me as I’m sure it would most people.

9DEA9CF1-EE53-44DB-A7DA-31D487A93AF0.jpeg

Zoli 16ga.

GO VEGAS !

jeff88
On 4/14/2018 at 4:29 PM, Ben Hong said:

I have been around hockey and hockey teams enough to “hear” the undertones of the talk after a team has been humiliated. Whatever you want to call it...karma, hate, humiliation, embarassment, whatever the sentiment is after a shellacking, it is real and the beaten team wants revenge.

Looks like another opportunity for the Phlyers to issue undertones.  They badly outplayed PGH in the 1st period then 87 put a tight one in toward the end of it.  From then on it was all Pens.  Reminded me of game 2 but the opposite, Pens came out smoking and subsided, Phlyers got a strange goal for their 1st one then went on a tear.  5-1, each game.  

GO PENS!

jeff88

Was looking at a Pens site and this was included:

https://www.pensburgh.com/2018/4/17/17247084/penguins-flyers-series-lines-and-updates-kris-letang-injury-patric-hornqvist-sean-couturier-injury

Scroll down to a screen for the the worst hockey fight in NHL history.  Ben will surely remember this.  As a hockey fan who believes fighting as a part of any sporting event should be outlawed, let alone hockey, this replay may support that.  

GO PENS!

jeff88

Heard something on last night's Pens/Flyers broadcast that really surprised me:  Brian Doumoulen is the only person from Maine with his name on The Cup.

GO PENS!

Ben Hong
On 4/18/2018 at 1:35 PM, jeff88 said:

Was looking at a Pens site and this was included:

https://www.pensburgh.com/2018/4/17/17247084/penguins-flyers-series-lines-and-updates-kris-letang-injury-patric-hornqvist-sean-couturier-injury

Scroll down to a screen for the the worst hockey fight in NHL history.  Ben will surely remember this.  As a hockey fan who believes fighting as a part of any sporting event should be outlawed, let alone hockey, this replay may support that.  

GO PENS!

I do remember this as vividly as if it occurred last night. In fact I have it on Beta and VHS tapes. Growing up adoring guys like the Howes, Rockets, Moores, Geoffrions, Hulls, Tim Hortons, etc. I have always supported the idea of a one on one, spontaneous flare-up kind of fisticuffs, but in the last 20 odd years up until very recently, the idea of a designated goon became the prevalent...for one reason or another. To me that was a hokey sham. Now the prevailing desire is to eliminate fighting altogether, pity. As to the Good Friday Massacre, Quebec and Montreal had a real hate on for one another. The shenanigans that used to go on were atrocious and things were inevitably going to explode in due course. It really made me queasy and although I have it on tape, I have never watched them, nor any replay in a broadcast.

jeff88

Not just eliminate fighting, eliminate head shots.  Saw a Blue Jacket punch a Cap right in the back of the head after stoppage knocking the Cap's helmet right off.  That's a hard hit especially right smack dab in front of a ref who did nothing.  In the books that's roughing, straight up.  For sports leagues to let this crap be uncalled is setting up crippling lawsuits in the future not to mention stupid practices that should never be allowed for any reason.  What is wrong with delivering a solid body check?  Nothing.  Go for it.  I love hockey for the speed, skill and tough physical play but allowing fighting and head shots without strong repercussions is going to kill it for everyone.  Also I'm tired of a player who has to deliver a face wash from behind.  If this game is called by its own books, it's a much better game and would be more roundly watched.  When I'm asked what my favorite sport is to watch and I say hockey, almost every non-hockey fan thinks it's because I like the fighting.  

Different subject:  Am beginning to appreciate Chara almost in the same realm as Lidstrom as my favorite non-Penguins players.  What a beast! 

GO PENS!

Ben Hong

This old prognosticator is 6 for 6 with the completed series to date, with 2 more series to be decided. Tor vs Broons,  and Caps vs Jackets. If Toronto wins tomorrow night at home, the 7th game is a toss up. Boston has been exposed as a one line team. Can't figure out the Caps...

jeff88
9 hours ago, Ben Hong said:

This old prognosticator is 6 for 6 with the completed series to date, with 2 more series to be decided. Tor vs Broons,  and Caps vs Jackets. If Toronto wins tomorrow night at home, the 7th game is a toss up. Boston has been exposed as a one line team. Can't figure out the Caps...

As a favor to Pens fans, please prognosticate that both remaining Eastern Series go to 7 games with a triple OT in each game 7.  Am sure the Lightning fans would second that.

GO PENS!!

kgb

Would be horrible to be a Caps fan.  It's almost like the betting is one WHEN they fall rather than IF, and that makes little sense with as strong as they are in the regular season.  We used to get a 10-game plan when living in Maryland, mostly to make sure to see the Pens when they rolled in but also to catch the other Patrick Division games.  One day when the Devils came to town I took a friend from Jersey along.  The Caps had the game in hand and when the Devils got on the power play they were kind of hanging around the blue line having a passing clinic.  It was pretty quiet in the Center and Dan hollered "SHOOOOOOT!".  A Devils player finally did that and missed way wide.  Dan yelled "SHOOOOT ACCURATELY!" and the fans all around us busted up. So did I and eventually Dan.  Fun times.  

jeff88
37 minutes ago, kgb said:

Would be horrible to be a Caps fan. 

KGB, this is what worries me - sooner or later the Caps will beat the Pens in a playoff series.  That would be the reverse of Bob Prince's "hidden vigorish", the karma going to the opponent.  Plus, with the Caps, Pens won't have home ice.  Even though that didn't work well in the Philly series, I'd still prefer it as the Pens played much better at home this year.  Great story about the Devils/Caps.  

GO PENS!!

Longrifle

I'm just going to say it; I think Philly fans are the most entertaining in all of sports, save for those soccer hooligans that break out in epic brawls.

HAMMER DOG

Man it's going to be weird seeing Lord Stanleys cup our next trip to Vegas. GO KNIGHTS!!!