• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Mike da Carpenter

Ecollar buying help/questions...

Mike da Carpenter

Hello all, my GSP, Levi (5 months), is progressing extremely well. In all honesty, I don’t think I could be a happier owner. With that said, he is a totally different animal than my old (gone) Chocolate Lab. I’m now in the market for an Ecollar (just to get him used to wearing it now, and correction down the road for trash breaking and a recall reminder) and figure I would pick ya’lls brains to get a better idea of what brand/model I’m going to do best at spending the money on.

A bit about Levi....he was bred to be a “foot hunter”, and rarely gets more than 100 yards out on our daily walks, and is constantly checking in to see my location. When I see him stop and look for me, I turn 90-180*, and he is quick to get back in front of me and continue his search. If I want him to “come” when he checks in, I raise my hand and let it fall down, and he is on his way to me. I started working a double blast on a whistle yesterday in conjunction with a failed and lowered hand, along with treats (his food kibble) when he gets to me. Like I said, everything is moving along just fine. BUT, the grassy areas are short, and there are no leaves on anything so it is quite easy to track him now. In another month or two, it will be a whole new world, and quite possibly, neither of us will know where the other is.

I’m thinking I need a beeper collar if for anything to know when he is on point, or to be able to press the locator button to find him. Then what got me to thinking about an Ecollar more, as another tool, was on our run yesterday, there happened to be some Sand Hill cranes in the field, and he was off to the races. Once they took flight, there was no stopping him. My only saving grace is the cranes decided to fly in 500 yard circles for about 6-7 minutes, and he finally got downwind from me, and I believe he was then able to hear my voice YELL “come”, which he stopped in his tracks, looked at me, saw my raised and lowered hand, and came on a string right to me, where there was a couple pieces of kibble waiting for him. Then he was ready to go on our run that I had planned before the whole crane incident. That was a pretty concerning 6-7 minute timeframe. I’ve been doing research on Ecollars for a while, it decided right then, I’m gonna need one, and had better get him used to wearing one for a couple months then slowly work my way into using it.

Currently, We have an underground hidden fence that when Levi goes outside to use the bathroom, we put on his Ecollar for tha. We have had the hidden fence for 5 weeks and after the first 2 weeks of training the last 3 weeks have been a breeze. As soon as he gets the warning tone (loves to chase robins), he slams on the breaks and doesn’t encroach into the “Zap” zone. So actually, he kinda already is conditioning himself to the Ecollar usage for when in the field.

Levi will mainly be used for grouse/woodcock in Northern Michigan, wild pheasants in the MI thumb (I’m very fortunate to have a friend that grew up there and has the run of many farms from his family ties), and a yearly trip to S. Dakota. I don’t believe a GPS collar will be needed, and in my guesstimating, a 1 mile range is plenty for my purposes, but I could be wrong.

Sorry to ramble on, but I figure the more information I can give, the better and more informed answers I can get from folks who have been down this same road many times, and for longer periods than I. I like to spend my money wisely, and asking these questions is all part of my homework. The below picture is what I’m kinda leaning towards, but PLEASE, if there is a better product for my intended purpose, let me know.  

The collar is a R.A.P.T. 1450 Upland Beeper which has an Ecollar too. Here is a link to what I’m thinking.  http://www.collarclinic.com/product/1450Upland.html

gunsrus

I've had a Dogtra 2500 for years , indestructible . Many more on this site have the same . 

atticus

We stayed with dogtra after our older 2 dog system finally crapped out after about 10 years of year round use. Actually, one of the collars still works. I picked up the 2502 because it was on sale at the LL Bean outlet near me for 50% off ---but was going to buy one anyway. Love the collars and the support from dogtra for repairs. 

2 Ugly Dogs

Same as gunsrus and atticus 

Brookieslayer

Same as above.

Mike da Carpenter

What are your opinions about the Garmin Alpha 100 for my GSP for the scenario I have laid out above?  And should I get the TT15, or the Mini if I decide to go this route?  Will the Mini still work on a full grown GSP?

BlacknTan

I always owned Tri-Tronics collars and was always very satisfied. I just got a dogtra Edge RT, only because the pup had been started with the dogtra pager system, otherwise I would have stayed with my Pro 500.

Flush
3 hours ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

What are your opinions about the Garmin Alpha 100 for my GSP for the scenario I have laid out above?  And should I get the TT15, or the Mini if I decide to go this route?  Will the Mini still work on a full grown GSP?

An Alpha should work well for you. Personally I never run a dog without a gps collar.

Some guys who run in the grouse woods like to run a beeper with the gps collar because in thick cover when the dog is on point, the beeper allows them to locate the dog quicker than looking at the gps screen. Others (like me) are fine with just the gps system, and really don't like the noise of a beeper.

A mini collar would work fine, but a TT15 isn't that big and would be a fine size for any GSP. Under normal circumstances the range of either collar is fine but if you do actually "lose" your dog, youll appreciate the additional range of the larger collar. The advertied range of the collars are widely optomistic. In the real world TT15 collars frequently lose contact at ranges less than 500 yards. Over 1 mile, and they lose contact a lot. My experience with many years of Garmin collars is the more range the better.

Hub

When it comes to regular e-collars it's more a Ford vs. Chevy comparison except it's Tritronics/Garmin and Dogtra.  I've had both, but I prefer the Tritronics.  The 'pro-style' canister Tritronics transmitters are ultra reliable.  I have a full two dog set with beeper collars and have got a lot of trouble free use out of them.  I wouldn't think of grouse hunting without some way of finding a pointing dog.  I also have an Alpha and I really like it for hunting.  It cut down on my electronics because I didn't need to carry a separate GPS and e-collar transmitter.  It's not as efficient for finding a dog in heavy cover as a beeper collar, but it's also nice not to have to broadcast your location to other people and the birds.  Silence is golden.  While the stimulation is good enough on the Alpha for zapping a dog when he goes to cross a road or is giving you the long distance finger when he doesn't want to go back to the truck, I don't like it as much as a the old school Tritornics with a tactile button that you can hit without looking at it when force fetching or some other timing sensitive training activity.   When I train I still use my old collars exclusively.

topdog1961

The current generation of Sportdog trainers are very good, worlds away better than the previous one. They charge very quickly and hold it well, and are half the size of the older ones. Plus The reliability is very good. RSC fixed the breaking receiver antennae issue. They are a good value. I've had mine 3 years no issues. Plus most of my family and hunting buddies use them, cause I can get them at dealer cost through my dog fence business. No complaints from anyone. 

BlacknTan
On 4/11/2018 at 3:53 PM, Hub said:

When it comes to regular e-collars it's more a Ford vs. Chevy comparison except it's Tritronics/Garmin and Dogtra.  I've had both, but I prefer the Tritronics.  The 'pro-style' canister Tritronics transmitters are ultra reliable.  I have a full two dog set with beeper collars and have got a lot of trouble free use out of them.  I wouldn't think of grouse hunting without some way of finding a pointing dog.  I also have an Alpha and I really like it for hunting.  It cut down on my electronics because I didn't need to carry a separate GPS and e-collar transmitter.  It's not as efficient for finding a dog in heavy cover as a beeper collar, but it's also nice not to have to broadcast your location to other people and the birds.  Silence is golden.  While the stimulation is good enough on the Alpha for zapping a dog when he goes to cross a road or is giving you the long distance finger when he doesn't want to go back to the truck, I don't like it as much as a the old school Tritornics with a tactile button that you can hit without looking at it when force fetching or some other timing sensitive training activity.   When I train I still use my old collars exclusively.

I too was a big fan of the old TT tube style transmitter. One could handle it instantly. I moved to dogtra because of the pager, but the Edge RT is very close to the older TT transmitters, so that's what I bought.

I don't know much about Tri Tronics since the Garmin buyout, but the Garmin Astro is still unbeatable in my book, for what it does.

Still, I'd dearly love to have the old Tri  Tronics company still around as their own entity..

bntsetter

Dogtra - I know of a couple of people who have left Garmin/Tritronics and moved to the dogtra edge due to the similarity to the old style TT Pro transmitters.

NECarson

I like a separate ecollar and GPS, both are Garmin. 

The pro style transmitters are perfect if you ask me. 

sprocket

When I asked my buddies I was given some info that's a bit different than the advice given here.

He explained the differences between ranges and features in a very sort of specification driven description - more than model numbers and makers:

1/2 mile vs 1 mile, etc..

Do you need/want GPS?

Tone, Vibe, Pulse

Pulse levels

Ease of Operation with Remote.

My advice is to sift out the features  of any specific products listed above and sort out what you need or don't need.  Spec your needs and find the 3 or 4 products that  meet your needs.

Then go handle the controls of each - it's kinda like buying a shotgun that way.

And I'll say this about the advice above - I've learned to trust it in general, but filter to suit your needs.  Also, when you read back after a few years pass, it's still spot on but you weren't ready for all of it yet...

Make sense?  Hope this was helpful.

terrym

I went from a TT to a Dogtra 2500 T&B. Fabulous setup. Small and very effective built in beeper. Now that I have a second dog I wish I had gone for the 2502 T&B.