• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Mike da Carpenter

Ecollar buying help/questions...

Mike da Carpenter

Thanks for all the feedback guys.  I appreciate it.  Im leaning toward two different units...The Dogtra 2500 T&B and the Garmin Alpha 100.  They both have features I like/want, and each has their drawbacks too.  There is no perfect collar, at least for my GSP.

Seems like both these units are excellent.  Both have almost everything I’m looking for, but the GPS feature would be so nice if, on the slight chance, he gets out of earshot or after a deer.  The $800 tag is just a hard pill to swallow, but then again, it is great insurance on a big investment.  If Garmin were to run another “special”, I think That’ll help me make my choice.

Seeing as I’m new to Ecollars, I see where Garmin had a $100 off these units not long ago.  Does anyone know if they are trying to move backlogged stock because there is another model coming out?

gunsrus

In your original post you did mention you were not looking for a GPS and an e collar . You are correct that the GPS is a nice feature . If your dog has any get up and go and hunts out of sight , get the Alpha. Piece of mind is worth every penny .

Mike da Carpenter
2 hours ago, gunsrus said:

In your original post you did mention you were not looking for a GPS and an e collar . 

Correct, I wasn’t wanting a GPS, because I thought it a total waste of money.  BUT then on a run the other day, a squirrel caught his attention and off he went...squirrel up the tree and he right past it in search over the hill.  That was a tense 4-5 minutes, but he returned.  Then the very next day, he lit after a couple sand hill cranes that, thankfully, flew in a giant circle and he returned 6-7 minutes later still thinking he could catch them.  He is just shy of 5 months old now and there is time to train/trash break him, but like you mention, “Piece of mind is worth every penny”.

NECarson

If under 10 minutes our of sight worries you, you need GPS. 

I still prefer separate units, but I won't turn a dog loose in the field without a GPS. 

terrym

Your original question was about ecollars. I have a 2500 T&B and an Astro 320. If I had to start over I would get an Alpha so I didn't have to run 2 collars. My female is small so it's a bit of a load. After losing her for 3 hours last month she won't get cut loose without a GPS, ever. 

barna
2 hours ago, NECarson said:

If under 10 minutes our of sight worries you, you need GPS. 

I still prefer separate units, but I won't turn a dog loose in the field without a GPS. 

Same here, the separate unit can be a back up if the primary fails.

I run mine with Astro and Dogtra TB ( the old model with the beeper on top).  I had the GPS collars lose contact, battery low, or antenna issues, nice to have the beeper as the back up. 

Barna