FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Parkerman

Need a quail recipe

Parkerman

Does anyone have a easy recipe for quail that is not fried? Like to try something different at camp.

Brad Eden

Here is a Search. Quite a few Recipe Topics in this Forum that mention Quail in a recipe.

Topics with Quail recipes

Chukarman

Cut the backbones out of the birds and flatten them. Marinade in Marsala and garlic with a bit of salt. After a few hours, pat them dry with paper towels and rub with olive oil, salt and pepper them, then roll them around on a hot grill for 15 minutes (or less) and serve over braised spinach. Fried potatoes and salad on the side.

browndrake

I like to cook a pot of rice with a bunch of quail thrown in the pot.

When done: butter, salt, and pepper served with corn.

NVChukarChaser

Fillet the breasts and take the legs off. Marinate the birds in half a bottle or so of Italian or spicy Italian dressing. Pour the rest of the dressing in a deep frying pan or skillet. You want the birds to be swimming in the dressing. After marinating for a bit throw them on the pan at medium low heat and let them slow cook/simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until the meat just start to come off the leg bones. Pour the whole thing in a bowl and serve with toothpicks. They will disappear. 

strato-caster

See my quail popper recipe at the top of page 3... easy to make, five ingredients, under 5 minute cook time, and unbelievably delicious. What's not to like? 

SelbyLowndes

I've loved to eat quail all my life.  I've also tried a lot of recipes other than fried.  I always come back to buttermilk fried quail.  But that's just me...SelbyLowndes

rawhide
1 hour ago, SelbyLowndes said:

I've loved to eat quail all my life.  I've also tried a lot of recipes other than fried.  I always come back to buttermilk fried quail.  But that's just me...SelbyLowndes

Yep.  With cream gravy.

TonyS

With a plucked quail get yourself one of the sealing baggies.  Put olive oil, lemon juice, maybe some garlic in the bag with a sprig or two of rosemary.  Marinate for at least an hour.  Wrap in tinfoil and place near the fire.

You will wonder why you didn't do this before.  Warning it makes it difficult to come home with quail.

Spin

Pluck, clean, rinse and pat dry quail, Season outside and inside of birds wit salt and pepper or a shake or two of Cajun seasoning or a poultry seasoning. Season Stuff body cavity with pealed orange segments Add a pat of Butter if you like.  (mandarin orange or tangerine is a nice twist) or peal a few apples and use apple wedges instead of orange segments.outside and inside of birds wit salt and pepper or a shake or two of Cajun seasoning or a poultry seasoning. Wrap birds with thick sliced bacon strips and pin in place with toothpicks or pealed and sharpened green hardwood twigs. Broil till bacon is cooked but still slightly juicy. Ta Da!

mccuha

filet the breast meat off bone, cut jalipinio peppers in quarters(depending on side also scrape all the seeds out unless you want to leave a few for heat), stuff the peppers with cream cheese. Take and rap breast meat around stuffed jalipinio and wrap that with a piece of bacon. Run a tooth pick in to hold it all together. I like to season it as well as I'm putting it together with seasoning salt and black pepper. I as well will marinate in ranch dressing. All is left is to put it on the grill. I cook until they are about medium rare. That's it. I like the fried quail like last couple posts but this has become my favorite. I have taken the jalipinio peppers and cut can cleaned them then baked them in the oven for a short time to help them cook a little more. either way is great.

QuailhunterNZ

Used to marinate my quail breasts in all sorts of things then fry - but lately have gone back to the basics. Just slice the breast meat from the breastbone then fry on high heat with butter for a couple of minutes each side - just enough to colour the meat and give a little browning each side. THE killer is the sauce - take the breasts out of the frypan and put into the warmer. Into the frypan pour one third of sweetened blackcurrant syrup and two thirds of cream then boil to reduce. When reduced about a half, combine everything together. Not sure whether the sauce will "tickle the taste buds" of the Yankee palate but haven't had any complaints from the Kiwi palates! 

SODAKer

Easy: black skillet, brown up each bird with butter or grape seed oil, cover with mushroom gravy, throw in some chopped celery, carrots and small red potatoes, hit with heavy dose of crushed black pepper and salt to taste, cover and simmer until done. Serve over rice. 

SODAKer
23 hours ago, Okhotnik said:

I like birds with morrocan spices on the grill

Use this recipe many years serve with rice and apricots or cous cous

http://www.firepit-and-grilling-guru.com/quail-recipe.html

Sounds good. No quail in the freezer so I'll have to throw the dry rub on some chicken.