FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
caleb

Patching rubber boots?

caleb

My LaCrosse Alpha Burlies have let loose along the seams in back where they flex.  I've now got four 1" holes in my "waterproof" boots, right at the time of year when I need waterproof boots.

Can these suckers be patched?  If so, any tips, tricks, or supply recommendations?

Windrider

“Shoe Goop”

ive used it to patch neoprene and rubber more than I’d like to admit.  Works great!

Samuel Hoggson

I apply gorilla glue.  Generous.  Those yellow scabs are ugly.  Suppose I could shave excess before it fully hardens.  If I were more fashion-conscious.  

Been fixing leaks this way for several years; no patch has failed to date.  Boots keep developing new holes, though.  More yellow scabs. 

Eventually my wife will toss them, and then take the 5th.    

Brad Eden

I have the same type boot. I've had them for a f ew hard worn years and they are also leaking. Picked up this LaCrosse product to try. Haven't used it yet so can't say how it works.

Lacrosse boot/wader repair kit

Tracker 6

Super glue gel

caleb
2 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

I have the same type boot. I've had them for a f ew hard worn years and they are also leaking. Picked up this LaCrosse product to try. Haven't used it yet so can't say how it works.

Lacrosse boot/wader repair kit

Just picked one up.  I've tried the glues/goos in the past, and I'm thinking a patch will be more durable.  Time will tell.

topdog1961

Read the "real wet weather condition boots" thread. Repair is discussed there also, towards the end. 

Brad Eden
27 minutes ago, topdog1961 said:

Read the "real wet weather condition boots" thread. Repair is discussed there also, towards the end. 

Good call.

Rick Hall

3M 5200.  Best to scuff the area to be repaired and clean it with acetone first.  Takes three days to dry but will likely last longer than the rest of the boot.  Certainly longer than goos or aqua seal in my experience.  Never tried Gorilla Glue.

Cooter Brown
14 minutes ago, Rick Hall said:

3M 5200.

That stuff could have fixed Humpty Dumpty.  Serious medicine.

garyRI
15 hours ago, Rick Hall said:

3M 5200.  Best to scuff the area to be repaired and clean it with acetone first.  Takes three days to dry but will likely last longer than the rest of the boot.  Certainly longer than goos or aqua seal in my experience.  Never tried Gorilla Glue.

Use it all the time but not for boots.

Great tip.

max2

What about the stuff on the TV commercials ? You spray it on.   

Flex seal

Auto-5

I use to patch my old lacrosse boots with a simple inner tube patch kit. Since yours are on the soles I’m not sure how well that would work in your case. 

Spin

"LOCTITE"   MR5414 also known as LOCTITE BLACK CONTACT ADHESIVE,      Best stuff I've run across so far. I've re-glued felt soles that have come off the boot. Ditto a pair of deck shoes and a pair house slippers. Fixed both seams that split or just came apart and a dandy hole that got punched through on a sharp chunk of drowned wood hunting woodcock in a hardwood swamp. Fast drying and while not necessary for most repairs topping the area with a tire patch isn't a bad idea. Flex areas particularly.

Spin
On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 6:23 AM, Rick Hall said:

Interesting Rick, long dry time but that likely means there is less penetrating agent or less severe so it is much less apt to harden or render the surrounding original boot material less flexible and harder and prone to cracking. Just spit balling here but I'll give it a shot next opportunity.