• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
LabHunter

likely nerve injury in front leg

LabHunter

I threw the dummy a few times for our 3 year old GSP a week ago and she came back limping.  I figured it was a sprain or something and waited 1 week before seeing the vet (she had improved some, but was still limping).  The vet suspects some type of nerve injury (radial nerve?).  I can't point to any specific moment when she might have injured herself...she just came back limping (at which time we went right inside).  The vet prescribed anti-inflammatories and these seem to have helped.  She is now using the leg some, but it is still weak.  Have any of you guys run into this type of thing before?  We are scheduled to see a neurologist early next week, but I wanted to see if there was any prior experience with this sort of thing out there.   Till then I'm keeping her leashed and minimizing any chance of further injury.  I'm curious about the rehab for this type of injury...from reading online, it sounds like it is a 1 month thing even in the best cases. 

I read up a bit on these things and at first it scared the heck out of me.  She's a great dog in the house and in the field...and the mere prospect of losing some field time with her wasn't attractive at all.  She's the pup I'm depending on for hunting through most of my 40's.  How many chances do we get with how many dogs, you know?  Anyhow, after seeing that she has had some obvious improvement over the past week or so, I'm pretty optimistic that she'll get through this thing.  It must be a pinched nerve of some sort? 

So if you've dealt with this before, let me know how it went!

Thanks,

Trev

Dogwood

If the physical exam revealed nothing specific, rest and meds failed to resolve the problem, then xrays of the leg would be the next logical step before seeing a neurologist.  All assuming a Lyme/Anaplasma test was negative given your location.

LabHunter
31 minutes ago, Dogwood said:

If the physical exam revealed nothing specific, rest and meds failed to resolve the problem, then xrays of the leg would be the next logical step before seeing a neurologist.  All assuming a Lyme/Anaplasma test was negative given your location.

We did Xrays and everything came back clean.  When you rotate her good front leg towards her rear, there is significant resistance.  When you do the same with the injured leg there is very little resistance, it nearly swings freely.  She doesn't show any discomfort at all, no squirming or anything.  Pretty sure it's a nerve thing....hopefully it's a minor case...so should resolve in a month or two.

Dogwood

Given the additional details pretty sure you’re correct

LabHunter
11 hours ago, Dogwood said:

Given the additional details pretty sure you’re correct

OK, I found another thing that might be what it is....perhaps an injury of the infraspinatus muscle in the shoulder.  The way the injury occurred (and the fact that I haven't really been keeping her - or myself - in shape since bird season) and the symptoms for this line up pretty well.  I'm doing some light stretching with her, but still keeping her to leash walks.  I might try her out with some light swimming as well.

I'll touch base with my vet again and bounce this idea off her...if this is what it is, no need to see a neurologist.

Thanks for your replies!

Trev