Jump to content
FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
grouse28

Official start of spring in Lancaster County

Recommended Posts

grouse28

Was back "home" in Lancaster County today and the air was full of the odour of manure. Spring is here!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RMH

When I lived in Pennsylvania I always Spring was here when we cut dandelions  to eat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse

Took a ride to Northern Lancaster Co yesterday to Richland Shooter's Supply. You could smell the manure Cowlogne everywhere.

Spring has sprung.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grouse28
10 hours ago, RMH said:

When I lived in Pennsylvania I always Spring was here when we cut dandelions  to eat.

Ah yes! With hot bacon dressing. Spring delicacy, ranks right there with wild leeks, (ramps), morels and poke.

Wash the manure off first!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oak stob

What a joy it is to ask and hear the waitress saying...”yes, we have hot bacon dressing.”

 

I have found that the actual dressing varies widely from back home....some hit and some miss “home” but all are pretty good.

 

Ramps, scarambled eggs and brook trout...Breakfast of the Lucky.

 

Spring is growing grass...back to mowing the yard once a month, an odious chore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kgb

One of the best things about the hot days of summer is when the lawn gets beat into submission and doesn't require mowing for a blessed few weeks.

 

Up until then, though, it can suck kinda hard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
topdog1961
12 hours ago, grouse28 said:

Was back "home" in Lancaster County today and the air was full of the odour of manure. Spring is here!

 

 

NE Indiana also has a large Amish population. One of the main rural roads from that area to the nearest shopping destination has the nickname "horseshit highway". Not only is it full of road apples, but those hooves and/or skinny hard buggy wheels sure are tough on the road surface. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dave in Maine
59 minutes ago, oak stob said:

What a joy it is to ask and hear the waitress saying...”yes, we have hot bacon dressing.”

 

I have found that the actual dressing varies widely from back home....some hit and some miss “home” but all are pretty good.

 

Ramps, scarambled eggs and brook trout...Breakfast of the Lucky.

 

Spring is growing grass...back to mowing the yard once a month, an odious chore.

There was the man who hated mowing the lawn.

Then he came down with cancer.  After a long, painful battle he was cured of it.

He went back to mowing the lawn.  A friend saw the happiness on his face and, knowing how he hated mowing, asked him why he was so happy.

"Because I'm looking down at the grass, not up."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Grifish
On 4/13/2018 at 7:11 AM, grouse28 said:

Ah yes! With hot bacon dressing. Spring delicacy, ranks right there with wild leeks, (ramps), morels and poke.

Wash the manure off first!

Lived in Pa all my life and I have not a clue about poke? Is it the spinach like tasting weed or poke berries ( I was told were poison when a kid and kept that as gospel ever since.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Big Al

 

11 minutes ago, Grifish said:

Lived in Pa all my life and I have not a clue about poke? Is it the spinach like tasting weed or poke berries ( I was told were poison when a kid and kept that as gospel ever since.)

 

I don't know what it is either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marc Ret

image.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dave in Maine

Pokeweed is a wild plant that grows to some size and has clusters of purple-black berries late in the year.  All parts of the plant are poisonous.  It is a slow-acting but violent emetic which, if a sufficient amount is consumed, can cause respiratory paralysis and death.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytolacca_americana  Birds and some animals are not affected by the poison and consume it, especially the berries.

It is possible to make the leaves and shoots relatively safe to eat by harvesting them early in the year, preparing them thoroughly and cooking them through repeated boiling and changes of water.  No part of the plant can be eaten raw.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytolacca_americana#Food_uses Roots have the highest concentration of toxin and will kill.  Pokeweed is a part of some traditional Appalachian cookery and is a cultural touchstone of sorts. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytolacca_americana#Cultural_significance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse

The one thing I like about Lancaster County is seeing the Amish and their beautifulhorses. I understand that they buy washed up thoroughbreds. They sure do have some fine looking horse flesh!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grouse28

Young poke shoots. Steamed with butter. Grandmother made it, had it a few times. Maybe that is my problem now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Grifish
On 4/14/2018 at 10:47 PM, grouse28 said:

Young poke shoots. Steamed with butter. Grandmother made it, had it a few times. Maybe that is my problem now.

Ok, between your post and DaveinMaine, I understand a bit better.  It is poison, but, some folks still eat it!

 

so what is the spinach tasting stuff with all the seeds?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×