• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Chukarman

Building a new rifle... buying an old one

Chukarman
9 minutes ago, Dave in Maine said:

Model 71 is a classic for moose and elk.  Makes big things stop.  When I went along (as a strong back) on a moose hunt 2 seasons ago, the subpermittee carried a Model 71.  Good choice.

I'm excited to get to shooting it a bit.

Greg Hartman

Is a Dakota #10 (much more expensive) considered better than a Ruger #1 (much less expensive)?  From what I can see (have never owned either), they are about equally good and either can be made up into a truly elegant rifle.

Huntschool
15 hours ago, Chukarman said:

The No. 1 rifles sometimes require slight clearance between the forend and the action. Most stockers like to use a threaded pillar to anchor the forend to the barrel, These two 'fixes' seem to take care of any accuracy issues.

I have friends who use the "fore arm relief" and a soft "rubber" pad at the very end of the fore arm.  I prefer the relief and refitting of the back of the fore arm to the action.  To each his own.  I dont know anyone with the pillar fixture other than some of those "tuner" gadgets which I have been told by several highly qualified #1 smiths dont work all that well......  again, to each his own.

Huntschool
5 hours ago, Greg Hartman said:

Is a Dakota #10 (much more expensive) considered better than a Ruger #1 (much less expensive)?  From what I can see (have never owned either), they are about equally good and either can be made up into a truly elegant rifle.

Greg:

I think it has more to do with style preference and wallet.   The Ruger has more of an English styling while the #10 looks more like a High Wall.  Both very, very solid actions as I am sure you know.  It is unfortunate that the Ruger has been somewhat "back shelved" by Ruger and currently only small releases of distributor ordered special runs are available new. As an example, I purchased a 1B with 26" barrel in  6.5 Creedmoora a year ago from a very large store out here in the southern Midwest priced at NIB 898.00.  They had three and all were gone in about a week.  Then the same gun started showing up on the auction sites for up to $1600.00.  Crazy......  There is still a somewhat lightly robust secondary market out there for those of us that are into these niche guns.  I have mostly Ruger and two High Walls....... both good.  

Just some thoughts.

kgb
20 hours ago, Chukarman said:

It will be a while - - end of this year or later.

Your rifle -- why did you choose 250 Savage improved (I assume an Ackley design) ?? Was it the desire to keep a short action and weight down?

Sounds useful in any case. Posta photo if you have one...

An article in an issue of Varmint Hunter by Steve Timm where he had a .250 Ackley Improved built on a 700 got me to having one made.  I'd bought, shot and traded regular .250s in a 700 Classic, an FN Mauser precursor to the Browning Mausers, a 77R and a 77 UL, then went ahead with the .250AI.  It's not really too different from the 6mm I've been shooting since I was a kid, but it's a prettier gun than my 788!  Also more consistently accurate.  The only pic I have is from a woodchuck hunt where I swapped out my 6x deer scope for a 6x18 and bipod.

I also fell for the .300 Savage, have owned two 99's.  When I went to gunsmith school I ordered a 6.5 barrel as well as one in .308 and a medium varmint .243.  The 6.5's were so backlogged I had to build my project gun using the .308 barrel and it wound up a .300 Savage.  I'd wanted to do that with my #1, will have to buy another barrel for that.  The 788 got the stainless 6mm treatment, so it's heavier and longer than the factory equipment.  These are all Shilen barrels.

53845_600x400.jpg

Greg Hartman
2 hours ago, Huntschool said:

Greg:

I think it has more to do with style preference and wallet.  

Thanks!  That's pretty much what I figured.  Either will make up into a very nice gun. 

I enjoy "fine" rifles, like I do "fine" shotguns and there was a time when the rifles got plenty of use, but I don't seem to have much use for the rifles these days.  I haven't even bothered to poke a gun out my dining room window to kill a deer the past two years.  Killing big game here just feels like work and no challenge whatsoever.  Being completely unable to travel probably has a lot to do with that, even though I could kill a pile of deer without leaving the house.  Can't justify a new rifle, should probably sell my "fine" rifles, but they carry too many memories with them and they aren't eating anything.

Chukarman
3 hours ago, Huntschool said:

I have friends who use the "fore arm relief" and a soft "rubber" pad at the very end of the fore arm.  I prefer the relief and refitting of the back of the fore arm to the action.  To each his own.  I dont know anyone with the pillar fixture other than some of those "tuner" gadgets which I have been told by several highly qualified #1 smiths dont work all that well......  again, to each his own.

Bruce

Maybe this explains it better. This is the design by the metalsmith I have chosen. McLaughlin forearm hanger

I checked this out with my stocker, Gary Goudy, who has built a carload of ruger no. 1s, and he said this is the type of system that he uses. I usually discipline myself to use solutions that are suggested by people who know more than I do. That is the story.

Huntschool
1 hour ago, Chukarman said:

Bruce

Maybe this explains it better. This is the design by the metalsmith I have chosen. McLaughlin forearm hanger

I checked this out with my stocker, Gary Goudy, who has built a carload of ruger no. 1s, and he said this is the type of system that he uses. I usually discipline myself to use solutions that are suggested by people who know more than I do. That is the story.

I must admit.... I have not seen that one.  Looks great.

Rob R

Both rifles sound fantastic.  Really looking forward to photos.  Have to believe the #1 is going to be eye candy when Gary Goudy is done with it.  Do you have a picture of the stock blanks?

Chukarman
2 hours ago, Rob R said:

Both rifles sound fantastic.  Really looking forward to photos.  Have to believe the #1 is going to be eye candy when Gary Goudy is done with it.  Do you have a picture of the stock blanks?

I will try to take and post a photo of the blank ASAP.

Chukarman

Here is the blank I intend to use on the Ruger.

2005 English Blank-right.JPG

2005 English Blank - left.JPG

Rob R

Oh that's gonna be gorgeous Chukerman. Beautiful and even on both sides. 

Chukarman
57 minutes ago, Rob R said:

Oh that's gonna be gorgeous Chukerman. Beautiful and even on both sides. 

Rob

I have been saving this for a special project since 2004. Hope it works out as planned.

Bede
On 4/15/2018 at 2:18 PM, Greg Hartman said:

Thanks!  That's pretty much what I figured.  Either will make up into a very nice gun. 

I enjoy "fine" rifles, like I do "fine" shotguns and there was a time when the rifles got plenty of use, but I don't seem to have much use for the rifles these days.  I haven't even bothered to poke a gun out my dining room window to kill a deer the past two years.  Killing big game here just feels like work and no challenge whatsoever.  Being completely unable to travel probably has a lot to do with that, even though I could kill a pile of deer without leaving the house.  Can't justify a new rifle, should probably sell my "fine" rifles, but they carry too many memories with them and they aren't eating anything.

"Dibs" on the 7x57!