FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
sprocket

I've got a Marlin O/U "In the white" - finish options

sprocket

So I came across a Marlin O/U that was stripped but not refinished.  I was thinking I should refinish the barrels at least - Cerakote came up ans an easy, low budget option.

I don't know anyone doing blue work but willing to take suggestions.  It's a nifty little gun that might be a good loaner, no collector anything on this even if Ted Williams owned it...

What do you suggest?

Thanks in advance

Mark Stella/WV

Heck, do it yourself. Can’t hurt it. Self satisfaction while carrying that gun when you finish it. 

jroetz

Cerakote, I've done a CZ-82 and an 870 express, they both turned out nice!

JWP58

For diy bluing, ive had fantastic results with brownells oxphoblue. It takes a lot of applications (i used 000 steel wool to apply) but after 10-15 coats its attractive. But in hindsight id use cerakote (wasnt popular when i used cold bluing). Burnt bronze on the reciever and midnight blue or flat black for the barrels. 

Craig Doherty

I had a gunsmith cerakote this pistol.  Bead blasted and degreased it then coated and baked.  It's a very durable finish that I've thought of having done to a couple of shotgun receivers I've worn the bluing off of.  I choose a satin finish black but he (or other applicators) have a wide variety of colors.  I've seen long guns that he did that looked just like blueing in color.  Don't know why the pictures are upside down but you can still see the finish.

IMG_2587.jpg

IMG_2586.jpg

sprocket

The Marlin receiver is aluminum so I'm thinking of leaving it - they turn purple when you try to "blue" it.  I like the idea of midnight blue.

Thanks

Swampy 16

Precision Bluing in NC.

TimJ

There is a video of a Cerakoted Silver Snipe on YouTube. I sort of like the look. They painted the wood too, I wouldn't do that. 

Tim

garyRI

Hot blueing not an option because will attack solderbarrel connection right?

Swampy 16

Not if it’s done right. The way it’s been explained to me is there are normally two small holes drilled in the rib to relieve pressure and these are also used to flush any of the bluing solution left over. The heat doesn’t wffect it because it’s not hot enough. Call the guy at Precision because he can explain it better than I can. 

Cold Iron

You can blue the barrels just fine. It is the receiver that is the issue because it is aluminum. Hot bluing can dissolve aluminum. Sounds like it may be a Marlin model 90 because the receiver on those will turn purple if you hot blue them. Because yours was owned by that Ted Williams feller yours is a post WW2 production made for Sears of course.

Sprocket hope you at least got it in 16 ga. :P

They are a little bit of American history, got a deal on one a few years ago that I couldn't pass up and is in mint condition. Put about 50 rounds through it at Trap during the Sweet 16 shoot a few years ago but that is about all I have shot it. They are a functional gun and some really like them. There are no records of the history they have been lost. Mine is about as close to a deluxe model as your going to get in a 90.

26253869063_b22d4546eb_b.jpg

sprocket

A real Marlin 90 for sure - not a Sears 104 of some kind...no providance` on the ownership but it's a plain jane - yes in 16...no checkering, can't even recall the chokes - I'm more interested in protecting the metal than dropping big coin to make it showy.  I don't recall running numbers but at the price I paid, I can use Krylon and still be ahead, just thought I'd poll the folks here for options.  And as usual, they deliver.

I'd like a brass bead to get rid of the fiber optic bead currently installed I'll call it done once the metal is protected.  I'll need some range time to see where it hits.  Not replacing the '39 Ranger 104.Hunter Arms SXS, just helping it...

Swampy 16

Sorry but cerakote is for pump guns. Get it blued or you will never have any interest in it and any self respecting grouse would never let you shoot him with such an atrocity. Sorry, I couldn’t resist. I think you’ll be much happier getting it blued. Otherwise it will most likely live out its life in the safe. Double Guns should be blued no matter the pedigree. 

sprocket

Someone here suggest I try Dura-Blue - Anyone here have experience with it?

LINK

Looks to be a very economical solution...

rosies dad

Listen to Swampy, traditional is good. Fad finishes are a sorry mess IMHO.