• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
mccuha

Wyoming

mccuha

Ok, well I was going to try a little fishing in Colorado but where we had a place to stay it didn’t seem to have a lot to offer as far as trout are concerned.  So. We are now leaning on Wyoming. Lander area.  The guy I’m going with hunted deer on public land quite a few years ago and 2 of his sons fished while he hunted.  We know where the boys fished.  Just interested in other places. We will be camping also may hike back and camp and fish some.  Any of you have some suggestions as to where we can look.  I really want to catch some cutthroat. Also want to fish areas that are less pressured   I like off the beaten path.  I’m after catching giants just catching some fish and enjoying that country. Please if you will. PM me.  Also we are thinking June ,July or August.   When would be best. 

snapt

Call Ron at Wind River Outdoor company in Lander. He's an avid bird hunter and has a really cool outdoor shop, both fly and conventional tackle. He and his folks will give you some great options. There's a lifetime's worth of fishing in that neck of the woods. Normal snowpack this year so runoff will be normal. 

mccuha
1 hour ago, snapt said:

Call Ron at Wind River Outdoor company in Lander. He's an avid bird hunter and has a really cool outdoor shop, both fly and conventional tackle. He and his folks will give you some great options. There's a lifetime's worth of fishing in that neck of the woods. Normal snowpack this year so runoff will be normal. 

Thanks.  I’ll give him a call.   When is normal runoff. I’ve never fished anywhere you have to deal with high waters created by show melt 

406dn

Generally speaking, June is the month where most of the run off occurs. Most years sometime in mid to late May the snowmelt starts in earnest. I'd guess any time after the first week of July would have good water conditions.

snapt

July would be my choice as noted above, but August fishes well out there too. Fly or Spin?

mccuha
2 minutes ago, snapt said:

July would be my choice as noted above, but August fishes well out there too. Fly or Spin?

We will be fly fishing.  Any suggestions as far as what flies to use. I really like dries. Especially terrestrials 

snapt

PMing you.

Speedgoat44

The hoppers can be fun in mid-summer - chernobyl ant and similar patterns with a dropper are a high-percentage play in a lot of western streams around that time of year.  One of my mentors swore by the royal wulff almost exclusively when there was any surface activity.  - He  liked it because it  caught trout and was easy for him to see.     

mccuha

Any particular sizes in the flies that work best. I will begin to get stocked up. 

Flush
On 4/16/2018 at 12:08 PM, mccuha said:

Any particular sizes in the flies that work best. I will begin to get stocked up. 

There can be a lot of variation in the type of water you would be fishing even in the lander "area". The weather and snowpack can play a huge role too, so it's hard to recommend flies and sizes, especially this far in advance. 

As a general rule if you are going to hit freestone mountain streams/rivers, attractor patterns that float well and are visible can be good. I personally like stimulators often in size 6-10 but depending on the day and time of year etc..a similar sized grasshopper would work as well or better. Often I'm using the attractor as a indicator as much as anything, with a small nymph, dry, or emerged dropped from it.  

My advice would be to seek out a fly/sporting goods shop when you get out here that is as close to where you are going to be fishing as possible and find out what the current conditions are and what flies they recommend. If you stock up now, there is a good chance what you stock up on won't be what you end up using.

I'm not an expert on the Lander area, but have spent some time there. There are some streams close to town, but not a ton of running water compared to some other towns in WY. There is a large Indian reservation in the mtns near Lander (west  and NW of town), I believe non tribal members can get fishing licenses for the Res. but it's something to be aware of and look into. The thing that the Lander area is most famous for, from a fishing perspective, is hike-in back-country fishing in the Wind River range  (in lakes) for large Golden Trout (which are introduced). The lakes  will also hold other species of trout too, including cutts, but goldens are often the draw. There are tons of good fishing lakes in the Wind River range and that's what the range is famous for , what I don't know is how many good streams you will find back in there. Some people really enjoy fly-fishing mountain lakes, and some people don't and really want to fish streams. I do know there are some streams with good trout fishing near Lander down lower, but I can only think of a few. If I were you, and I didn't want to fish lakes, I would do some research on the back country stream options in the area, if thats really what you want to fish. One good thing about Lander from a stream fishing perspective is that it is not a known destination, people don't flock there from out of state to fish the famous nearby streams.  

If it appears moving water options near Lander are limited, there are definitely other towns to the north and/or west that have plenty.

Speedgoat44

^  Great advice. ^  My neighbor just returned from Lander - they fished the Reservation and did extremely well.  He said the permit set them back $30ish dollars.  

mccuha

Thanks for the advice. One of the reasons for lander area is my friend that’s going with me hunted around there a few years ago and said that the streams he saw were loaded with trout and it didn’t appear they were fished much. I just want to go out west and get into a bunch of fish.  Not overly concerned with giant fish just the average. I don’t want to fish around crowds as well. We will be willing to hike back a ways as well to get in some back country. If you know of a better area I would love to hear. Please pm me if you do.   Thanks for everyone’s help.  We want be going until late July early August 

Flush
1 hour ago, Speedgoat44 said:

^  Great advice. ^  My neighbor just returned from Lander - they fished the Reservation and did extremely well.  He said the permit set them back $30ish dollars.  

Wow, that's cool. I'm really surprised they did well this early. I would have thought everything would have still been really cold/frozen, but good to know. 

MUSTANGER7

Check out Ten Sleep, Wyoming its on the west side of the Big Horn Mnts. Has some nice small creeks, lots of brook trout but no whales, I never saw a soul on the creeks. A ten inch fish is big but great scenery, solitude. Used a real light fly rod. There used to be some videos on utube. I've found that utube is good way to recon an area to get some idea of how it looks,amazing what is out there.