• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Hartman

Help from the computer gurus

Greg Hartman

OK, an upland hunting site is probably not the first place the comes to mind when needing computer help, but you guys, as a group, seem to know just about everything, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

I have a Sony Vaio laptop computer running Windows 7 that was my primary machine for some time, but was replaced as the everyday machine by the much more capable one I'm using now a couple years ago.  I kept the Sony machine in the motorhome to use for work and such when I was hanging out there and so I wouldn't have to carry a machine back and forth.  It worked fine.

Recently, when I turned it on, it made all the appropriate noises, but nothing appeared on the screen.  Trying to fix this, I rebooted it in "safe mode" and I could see the screen perfectly, but could not figure out the problem and when rebooting in normal mode, the screen stays black.  I've tried pressing the light and dark screen buttons, the screen off and on button and the screen "casting" button - still nothing.

It's not the end of the world if the thing is dead, but I'd like to get some more use out of it, if possible.  It seems like this must be some sort of a setting problem and not a hardware problem.

Any ideas?  Remember to keep it simple, as I am NOT a computer guru.  Thanks in advance.

Greg Hartman
13 hours ago, salmontogue said:

Thanks, I'll give it a try later today.  Amazing what is on U-Tube.

max2
5 minutes ago, Greg Hartman said:

Thanks, I'll give it a try later today.  Amazing what is on U-Tube.

6 minutes ago, Greg Hartman said:

Amazing what is on U-Tube.

U-tube is pretty amazing.  Being a tradesman I have gotten so many tips from you-tube. I bet a lot of folks boost their confidence with home , auto  & computer fix's to name a few. Technology....... perhaps I should trade in my flip phone for one of those smarter phones......... nah..  

Yukon1

If you are able to get to safe mode, perhaps try system restore, which would reset your settings to the last known working point? 

Greg Hartman
48 minutes ago, Yukon1 said:

If you are able to get to safe mode, perhaps try system restore, which would reset your settings to the last known working point? 

Thanks!  That's what the video recommended.  I'm at work now, but the 'puter is at home grinding slowly away on that.  When I get home, we'll see what happened, if anything.

Yukon1

Knew I should have watched the video... 

Best of luck. 

Dakota Dogman

Let me see if I understand the big picture here... A self proclaimed Penn Dutch "wouldn't mind getting a little more use out of a dead horse"...?😂

Sorry Greg I have nothing valuable to contribute. Good luck with that!

God bless,

quailguy

https://www.amazon.com/HP-15-6-Inch-Touchscreen-Pentium-DDR3L-1600/dp/B077PQ1VNY/

From Amazon, used ones are about $225. Not a bad personal laptop, runs Windows 10, and all set up for use. Plenty of others on Amazon and other places.

Point is trying to resurrect an ancient laptop is prolly not worth the pain.

I am an Apple/MAC guy so I've no interest here.

Best !!

TonyS

After recently being hacked by McAfee, when downloading an Adobe update, I have used 'system restore'.   Find a point before any trouble started and use that.

McAfee's techs, in India (no americans-saving money) , worked for 6 (six) hours to delete the illegal download on my computer.  I didn't ask for it, didn't want it, and it completely screwed up my machine.

After they deleted their program, forced on me, the machine was still messed up.  I used system restore to get my computer back to normal.

Greg Hartman

Progress report:  While I was away at work the old 'puter did a "system restore" as recommended.  It now works in the sense that I can see things on the screen and make it respond to the cursor, etc.  But, things still aren't right - won't connect to my WiFi router, for example.  You are right, Matt - I just hate to throw stuff away that has any life in it, so I'm gonna keep messing with it.  Wish I had some clue what I am doing...  Oh well, not much to lose.

Greg Hartman

Final report:  Once I could see the screen, I could start to fix things.  After hours of mostly trial and error, I got the thing working properly.  Now it's ready for another 10 or 20 years  :)  No need to buy a new one.

grouse28

Another successful attempt at polishing a turd by a stubborn dutchman!

No duct tape or baleing twine involved.

I nominate you for the rusty sausage stuffer award. 

Greg Hartman
3 hours ago, grouse28 said:

Another successful attempt at polishing a turd by a stubborn dutchman!

No duct tape or baleing twine involved.

I nominate you for the rusty sausage stuffer award. 

Sadly, I must admit that this is true (except for guns and cars).  I guess you can take the boy out of the PA Dutch culture, but you can't take the PA Dutch culture out of the boy.  :(