gunsrus

Barbara Bush

gunsrus

Health is declining and she has refused prolonged medical treatment . I don't care what side of the political fence you're on , you just have to love this woman . True class ,  she reminded me of my grandmother who was the most loving person I ever knew . Prayers for you Mrs Bush . 

Cooter Brown

Agreed.  A top notch woman.  Lots of guts, smarts and character.

Reading between the lines of the reports I saw it sounds as if she's on home hospice.

Jacquidog

Barbara Bush is one of the greatest generation who lived thru and experienced an America most will never know. God bless a fine lady.

Fire Marshal Bill

Sorry to hear this. Barbara Bush is a first class women in the highest order.

jeff88

Thanks for starting this Al.

If nothing else, the Bushes brought a certain dignity where ever they went.  Saw them together at an Astros/Pirates game in the early Aughts.  Mrs. Bush actually worked a scorecard and was more into the game than the Prez.  He was busy greeting and meeting tons of well-wishers.  HOU is a better city because of them.

pa'tridge hunters

She has lived a long full life with grace and dignity. All the best.

crmartin

class and bravery

sprocket

I'd like to think that no matter who you are, you have empathy for dying Mom - At least because you had a Mom.

If that Lady is anything like my Mom, I wish Her children strength.

Strength to endure her passing and even more so during those moments when they want to reach out to her but can't - Those are the times that hurt the most...

Crazy Horse

Barbara Bush....truly a First Lady.

Brad Eden

Anyone injecting politics into this no matter how funny or poignant will have Post removed as I've already done. Thank you.

apachecadillac

When the Bushes came back to Houston Barbara Bush was much beloved locally--in the tradition of Ima Hogg (also from Houston) or any number of grande dames of Boston, etc.  She was active in the altar guild at St. Martins.  She was spotted shopping for roses at Teas Nursery.   She famously told her husband, when he asked who was making coffee shortly after they returned from Washington, "George, we're not in the White House anymore.  If you want coffee, make it yourself."  (Wives dealing with recently retired husbands seem to relish that story, for some reason, and Mrs. Bush could be famously tart--but, no politics, please.)  

You've got to respect the woman for the family she raised and the support she gave her husband in his public service.  Now, at the end of the day, we can only hope that the palliative care makes her transition as peaceful and comfortable as possible.  That's a tough decision for a family to make, and the family is facing a loss no less hard because it's inevitable.

Hub

I have a friend that has worked protection duty for the Bushes for the last 10 years or so. He has nothing but great things to say about the type of people they both are.

trust me

You can judge character by how the hired help speaks of a person, and the Bushes are praised as being kind and courteous to all.

quailguy
2 minutes ago, trust me said:

You can judge character by how the hired help speaks of a person, and the Bushes are praised as being kind and courteous to all.

Don't know anything about Barbara Bush other than she is a great lady and the Secret Service loved her. I used to fish with one of Bush 41's guides in salt water. The guide thought the world of President Bush. He used to tell the story of how the boat wound up on a sand bank while bay fishing in the Gulf of Mexico. The guide said "Hold on Sir and I'll shove us off". But President Bush had already jumped in and was pushing the boat off while the guide was protesting  "Mr President, you can't do that, I'll do it!" Bush shoved the boat off the sand bank, climbed back in and said" Let's go fishing!"

Class act.

mcgreg

10x, have the highest respect for the Bush family. True classic family.