FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
EllieGSP

Fox 16ga choke work, or not...

sprocket
5 hours ago, Swampy 16 said:

Any hull with a flat bottom will create a spreader effect. Call BPI they have a slew of options. Also check out 16 gauge society, which I’ve been meaning to join. They can also be a big help from what I’m told.

I forgot about that aspect - Yeah, the 16GA guys will help for sure.

Personally, Beware the man with one gun - and all that.  Leave it be, learn it and love it or move it along - Lord knows the ladies in my life figured that out before I ever did...

I think once you learn how to not miss much, you can hit with anything - Don't over think it.  Just enjoy the thing.

Swampy 16
12 hours ago, Swampy 16 said:

Any hull with a flat bottom will create a spreader effect. Call BPI they have a slew of options. Also check out 16 gauge society, which I’ve been meaning to join. They can also be a big help from what I’m told.

What I meant was any wad with a flat bottom, not hull.

Swampy 16
3 minutes ago, Swampy 16 said:

What I meant was any wad with a flat bottom, not hull.

6 hours ago, sprocket said:

I forgot about that aspect - Yeah, the 16GA guys will help for sure.

Personally, Beware the man with one gun - and all that.  Leave it be, learn it and love it or move it along - Lord knows the ladies in my life figured that out before I ever did...

I think once you learn how to not miss much, you can hit with anything - Don't over think it.  Just enjoy the thing.

Sorry to hear that about the ladies in your life. Thank god for dogs, they love us unconditionally. I just found a Parker GH last night that the guy will let go very cheap. It has some stock issues that I need to have repaired but I doubt one in very shootable condition otherwise will ever come to me under 1k so I'm grabbing it. The right barrel is I/C and the left is a tight full so now were both in the same predicament. What to do what to do, that is if its never been altered of course.

tut
38 minutes ago, Swampy 16 said:

Sorry to hear that about the ladies in your life. Thank god for dogs, they love us unconditionally. I just found a Parker GH last night that the guy will let go very cheap. It has some stock issues that I need to have repaired but I doubt one in very shootable condition otherwise will ever come to me under 1k so I'm grabbing it. The right barrel is I/C and the left is a tight full so now were both in the same predicament. What to do what to do, that is if its never been altered of course.

SKB made a few guns for the European market that were factory choked at I/C and Full.  Was truly a pretty good combination when you are used to two triggers.  Bird gets up close pull the front trigger.  Bird gets up far pull the back trigger.  One of the things I like about double trigger guns is it takes about 1/2 a second for the brain to process where the bird is and what choke you need to kill that bird.  

JCJ
On 4/16/2018 at 12:31 AM, Chukarman said:

Alter to chokes to work for you or sell the gun.

I have a Fox 16 bored SK1& SK2 that I have been shooting since 1990 and it has never let me down. It was bored tight ad tighter. but that changed immediately as I bought it. Go ahead.

This. And then hunt it, and shoot it, and enjoy it.

studdog

Zoli 16ga.  Polywad 16 gauge # 6 shot.  For clays out of a tight choked vintage gun they work great.  In a gun used over gundogs I don't recommend.  A flyer pellet at 20 yards may be no problem.  At 30-40 ????  A friend of mine, a grouse guide, said he never let his clients use them over his dogs. FWIW.

salmontogue
14 minutes ago, studdog said:

Zoli 16ga.  Polywad 16 gauge # 6 shot.  For clays out of a tight choked vintage gun they work great.  In a gun used over gundogs I don't recommend.  A flyer pellet at 20 yards may be no problem.  At 30-40 ????  A friend of mine, a grouse guide, said he never let his clients use them over his dogs. FWIW.

This is the reason I do not use spreader loads over dogs.  I would rather modify a double than injure or kill a dog.  Lee Sykes made the point that choke modification is invisible.  I made the point that adequate barrel wall thickness will allow that modification.  Even a collector gun can be modified without a change in appearance and many barrels on early guns lack indications of choke.

Perk

gunsrus

I will agree that spreaders can throw flyers out of open choked guns , Cyl , Skeet , IC . I have patterned out of Mod and tighter and never had a problem . I would never put my dogs in harms way . 

pa'tridge hunters

Why not shoot it the way it is for a while. If you then decide to open the chokes, send it to Mike Orlen in Amherst Massachusetts.

oak stob

I suspect spreaders are all being placed under the same, size small, top hat....a shame but that is often a destination for thoughts on many subjects.

While some of the square shot or shot mashed into discs may certainly or more easily plane off to Elsewhereville, especially as distance rolls, hard shot and good spreader design properly applied simply is not all duck and cover action for Rover.

I also suspect that most of us understand possibilities and responsibilities along with, of course, .....the fact that we all care about our dogs.

Swampy 16

It all comes down to patterning our guns which I don’t do enough of. My guess is if you’re getting a lot of flyers then somethings not right whether it’s choke, load, forcing cones. If you need to shoot spreaders over dogs just be 100% certain you know what the gun is doing at different yardage’s and keep patterning different combos til you find something that’s not throwing any flyers, if that’s possible. Just another 2 cents in case it’s needed.

kgb
1 hour ago, oak stob said:

I suspect spreaders are all being placed under the same, size small, top hat....a shame but that is often a destination of thoughts on many subjects.

While some of the square shot or shot mashed into discs may certainly or more easily plane off to Elsewhereville, especially as distance rolls, hard shot and good spreader design properly applied simply is not all duck and cover action for Rover.

I also suspect that most of us understand possibilities and responsibilities along with, of course, .....the fact that we all care about our dogs.

Several years back a friend and I hit up a preserve after the season closed and a bird went up over my dogs.  I don't think my partner shot, but I did at a towering bird that wasn't about to let us get close.  I estimated it was well clear of the dogs and fired twice (1100 20ga IC, factory shells) which was followed by my little female running back to me howling.  Scared the crap out of me.  I rolled her over and over looking and feeling for blood or tenderness but nothing showed.  She got up and took off like nothing had happened but it shook me.  As do stories of others' dogs being shot.

oak stob
1 hour ago, kgb said:

Several years back a friend and I hit up a preserve after the season closed and a bird went up over my dogs.  I don't think my partner shot, but I did at a towering bird that wasn't about to let us get close.  I estimated it was well clear of the dogs and fired twice (1100 20ga IC, factory shells) which was followed by my little female running back to me howling.  Scared the crap out of me.  I rolled her over and over looking and feeling for blood or tenderness but nothing showed.  She got up and took off like nothing had happened but it shook me.  As do stories of others' dogs being shot.

Yes.....oddstuff simply happens.

...”I don’t think my partner shot.....”, ...a dog finding issues can make everyone wonder their part played.

I recall a 40 in Iowa where the only dog down was a setter of a friend. 3/4 of the way thru the loop, Chief acted odd, we stopped and Chief came and sat between us.

Something was amiss, we just did not know what was off, so back to the truck.

He became worse and as a vet friend arrived later, he said Rooney(named for The Chief) was losing air, as his chest felt like bubble wrap.

”Who shot?” was the question.

Since I was the only one who shot....yikes, what a terrible feeling.

I was sure Rooney was clear but, one questions everything at such a time and, should.

Turned out after x-rays at a pig vet that Rooney had not been shot...he had broken his windpipe and was leaking air. Chief ran with abandon, to say the least, and likely had hit a fence wire hard enough to rupture his windpipe.

Odd stuff happens, we all have been scared and dogs plow a tough furrow.

salmontogue
3 hours ago, Swampy 16 said:

It all comes down to patterning our guns which I don’t do enough of. My guess is if you’re getting a lot of flyers then somethings not right whether it’s choke, load, forcing cones. If you need to shoot spreaders over dogs just be 100% certain you know what the gun is doing at different yardage’s and keep patterning different combos til you find something that’s not throwing any flyers, if that’s possible. Just another 2 cents in case it’s needed.

Just do not do it at all and relieve yourself of the worry.  You will probably shoot better due to reduction in stress and your dogs will continue to love you because they can still hunt'em up.

Perk

Swampy 16
22 minutes ago, salmontogue said:

Just do not do it at all and relieve yourself of the worry.  You will probably shoot better due to reduction in stress and your dogs will continue to love you because they can still hunt'em up.

Perk

Thats an even better idea.  A little off the topic of spreaders, one thing I’ve learned the lower velocity shells pattern better, for me at least. I really seem to get no flyers with the RST’s.