• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
DuckMisser

If you guys could hunt or live in any State ...

DuckMisser

Loaded question, but curious which states this board believes are the best states for upland hunting? Looking to expand horizons beyond the upper Midwest for a trip with friends this fall. 

Looking at either Kansas or Idaho. We have  a hodpodge of different bird dogs and are looking to mix it up :)

up for anything — leaving this question intentionally vague and know there’s some answers out there that will say it depends... appreciate the open dialogue guys. 

oak stob

MT...and dance for rain.

mccuha

My goal is when I retire to move to a state that decent bird hunting but the main thing is pretty close striking distances to a lot of states with really good bird hunting preferably out west I have a place in mind but I’ll have to wait and see if the property I hunt now will be available for me to continue by the time I can retire

bmeador

If I could start over I'd live in the eastern part of CO.  I then could drive as far north as Canada (Alberta, Sask.) and as far South as AZ and NM to hunt. And fish.

Brad Eden

I understand Idaho has the most Upland bird species and longest seasons....I know a fella who got sick of Maine and moved there for that reason...hope I'm not Hotspotting...

SelbyLowndes

I've lived in south Georgia all my life. I've visited lots of nice places, but I think I'll just stay put.  I already know where the fish bed, and which dove shoots are likely to be the best...SelbyLowndes

gunsrus

I'm in Maine now and still believe the best decision for me . I hunt Maine , NH , Vermont and Ma . I love grouse and wc and Turkeys in Ma are abundant . 

I love my dogs and would never introduce them to any danger . The worst in the NorthEast is ticks and we deal with them .

All the stories about wolves , snakes , lions ...... make me nervous for my dogs . I guess you could call me crazy because there are seldom encounters but that's just me . 

To each his own and I do enjoy stories of hunts in these territories . Maybe someday ....

UplandHntr

Honestly, there's a lot of places in the midwest or upper midwest that I could easily live. I'm really at a loss as to why I stay in IL..what a screwed up state. It may change very soon. I could find somewhere in any state from Idaho to WI and back to Kansas.

watermen

Lattitude about 38 degrees with little elevation in the center of the country.

grousehunter 61

I am there--Idaho--you have oregon , washington, montana, utah, all with in a days drive.

BlacknTan

I would not go anywhere that I did not know all the "ins and outs" of intimately. Just too many pitfalls to get tripped up on.

Actually, I'm quite happy with New York. There are better destinations for birds, or many game species, but other than political reasons, there is alot to like in NY, and few destinations to draw hunters in from the well known hotspots, so it's quiet. But then, any day out with dogs and gun is a good day. Even if it's just a blank pistol for training..

henryrski

I don't know what it's like now but when I lived in Washington it was ideal. Plenty of bird hunting, pheasants and quail in the central part, grouse in the mountains plus plenty of big game opportunities. Then there was steelhead, and trout fishing. But the best was the salmon fishing. Nothing beat fresh salmon for dinner. JMO.

Speedgoat44

Montana or Idaho for me!

max2
On 4/16/2018 at 1:58 PM, BlacknTan said:

I would not go anywhere that I did not know all the "ins and outs" of intimately. Just too many pitfalls to get tripped up on.

Actually, I'm quite happy with New York. There are better destinations for birds, or many game species, but other than political reasons, there is alot to like in NY, and few destinations to draw hunters in from the well known hotspots, so it's quiet. But then, any day out with dogs and gun is a good day. Even if it's just a blank pistol for training..

I here ya !  

dogrunner

Anywhere west of Iowa.