FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
salmontogue

A Thinking Sit

BlacknTan
1 hour ago, salmontogue said:

Sorry about my lack of attention to all of you.  I was simply resting my eyes while immersed in a sea of thought.  Hot dog breath on my left hand and two sets of canine eyes staring at me gave me a start.  That snoring you think you heard was nothing more than clearing my throat.  That is my story and I am sticking to it.  The moose stew on the Glenwood cook stove is spreading a heavenly aroma around the camp.  I'm thinking the addition of some sherry or a belt of burgundy might have merit.  What do you think?

The sleety rain is coming in sooty gray waves  and is clearly visible travelling over the softening lake surface.  Visibility is just under a mile now as the rain tamps down the fog.  The dogs are rolling and playing while helping me restock the inside wood pile from the woodshed.  We are off for a search of the nearby woods, you never know what is waiting there for you and the dogs.

I am weighing returning home later today or staying here for the night, possibly two nights.  I guess it is easier to stay and taking the path of least resistance......

A quick exploration to the supply of magical waters has yielded up Knob Creek, Blanton's, XO Cognac, JW Double Black and some short-filled bottles of malt scotch.  I may need to extend my stay here on the frontier.

There are no indications, sight, smell or sound, of anyone being within my piece of wilderness.  The nearest human is over two miles distant, a fact that adds to the serenity and loneliness of this place.  Please don't misunderstand the loneliness, it is a wonderful part of this "Thinking sit".

Now if Lee, Chris, Brad, Al. BnT, Topdog, Dennis, Rick, Dave, Mike, Greg, and others were here, there would be wonderful conversation offered and memories would be made.  Plenty of food and drink for everyone. Can you imagine so many dogmen and guncranks all in one place with no pressing obligations?

Perk

You have got the knack for magically weaving words, Perk...

All of us sitting 'round a fire in your retreat is a very inviting thought for today! But, as Thoreau put it..."I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude..."

HAMMER DOG

My thinking sits are my evenings spent by the firepit with a cigar and a good drink or two, we live away from the city and major roads, for the time being with urban sprawl getting closer and closer, so that time spent listening to the night sounds from the woods nearby, the occasional coyote howling in the distance and my visits from my resident opossum are my time of reset and contemplation. My companions Cody dog and sisters Trixie and Sadie bring the occasional respite from deeper thoughts for rubs and the sip of beer for Cody of course, he loves good beer :) These days without that time to shut down, contemplate in peace the things that need contemplating I would go nuts for sure. The world needs more thinking sits.

henryrski

Definitely the sherry.

jeff88
4 hours ago, Rick Hall said:

One of the too few things I learned in school is that I don't think well sitting. 

Am a "thinking walk" person, ideally with Blaze, our lab.  After a nice 45 to 60 minute trail walk I come back mentally refreshed and have hatched a few ideas.  It's when I'm not concentrating when creativity takes hold and thoughts form.  

Wisconsin

My thinking sits can occur in many places, my duck blind, grouse camp campfire, in my 10 foot jon boat - but at home it's the kennel deck overlooking our prairie grass training field bordering the woods, drinking coffee or an adult beverage.

IMG_3407.JPG

grouse28

Perk, you made my day. Dreary here also. I need to find a “sit” tomorrow.

Thanks Perk.

Irishwhistler

Perk,

Just had a moment to give this thread a read and I hung on ye every word.  Wonderfully crafted writing Mate.  Good on ye.👍

Slan go foil,

Mike 🍀🇮🇪🇺🇸

Ben Hong

Perk, those are well honed words. Kudos!

My place for quiet contemplation or just plain idle-mindedness is, during warmer weather, in my screened in porch a few dozen feet up and away from the wavelets of the lake.Usually I have some kind of long-haired music from a couple of hundred years ago playing softly to supplement the visuals.

RMH

Very nice piece indeed. Fall through Spring my "thinking sit" occurs just after taking my dog out after getting up while reviving the fire in the wood stove. I'm always up first, often an hour or more before my wife. I can't recall when I've not seen the dawn of day, sky lightening and the change over from the nocturnal world to another day. The stove is in our "front room" as we call it. Though it's at the back of the house, it's where the door that is used most often is. Nothing much for a stove. A rectangular steel box with a window in the door. There has to be a window in the door to see the fire. As the fire comes back to life and grows and roars, then settles down to a steady burn I'll contemplate the big and small, important and trivial or just remember. In Summer that spot is out behind the house under an old apple tree. Our dogs of the past are buried around this tree. I sit on the grassy bank next to it and let my mind go where it will.

Thanks for your post Perk and the chance to add a few thoughts.  Rick.

jeff88

Perk's post happened with me in an unexpected way last week with the U of Utah giving a talk.  This was not our standard issue slide ware beat down, they wanted to know what was going on in the marketplace and where we sit.  It was to be interactive though I had 3 -4 points I wanted to make sure was put across yet had to be prepared to field questions or comments that potentially could have gone in any direction.  Adding to the pressure from what could emerge from the University was the extended team from where I work.  "Will you talk about this?  That?  The other thing?  How will you bring up XYZ?"  We knew that we had 45 minutes to defend our proposal and it had to go right.

We arrived early and I noticed they had a room to the side:  "Meditation Room" was written on the door.  Seriously, that could not have been a better surprise for me.  I went in, closed the door, paced around, looked out the window which faced a mountain range and emerged 15 minutes later mentally refreshed and relaxed.  

quailguy
9 minutes ago, jeff88 said:

"Meditation Room" was written on the door.  Seriously, that could not have been a better surprise for me.  I went in, closed the door, paced around, looked out the window which faced a mountain range and emerged 15 minutes later mentally refreshed and relaxed.  

Took a nap did you?

jeff88
3 minutes ago, quailguy said:

Took a nap did you?

No hammock.  That would have been perfect.

Remo

Perk, I do kind of have a spot like yours to ponder things past and present. Out in my pasture is a deep ravine that leads down to the river. On the top edge is a big granite erratic sunk in the prairie. It is like one of nature's private park benches. Nice spot to catch your breath.  In eons past uncounted bison used this ravine to access the prairie when they crossed the river. The sides are layered like terraces with their trails following the contours of the ground. Time-wise it has been a snap of the fingers and they are gone. Lower down on the flood plain Indians from the Woodland period had fields where they farmed for most of a thousand years. The only trace of their existance is few broken pottery shards. Makes me wonder what comes after us?

watermen

Very good piece of writing! I must be more of an auditory relaxer and thinker.  I love the sound of moving water, the tinkle, gurgle and rolling burp of a good sized stream helps me stop and think.  I stopped on my way home last week on our only warm windless day.  Grabbed the rod, put on my waders and started a walk down the river.  I tried the first three holes with no takers and put the rod on the bank beside me.  I sat calf deep for the next 45 minutes  and listened to the noise of the water and surrounding woods.  I've had my fix for awhile.

bmeador

My Thinking Sit will commence tomorrow evening, right after roosting time.  Tina and I are hauling the camper up to some of the public Forest lands to try and get her her first ever spring gobbler.  The fire will be burning brightly and I in my chair staring at it, with a little Bird Dog Whiskey in a glass...