FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
CzechSM

How's your memory?

Brad Eden

Muscle memory...am I the only one can't write...as in cursive or otherwise worth a crap anymore...due to constant typing on a tablet or keyboard....and my signature has become a scribble.

Rockdoc

My long term memory has always been great but my short term memory isn’t so good. A long time ago, before I went back to college for my geology degree, I worked as a car salesman for a few years. I’d be in the showroom and a past customer of mine would be wandering around waiting for some minor service on his car. I could remember everything about the entire selling experience with the customer but still blank on his name. It was very embarrassing! BTW, though I never made sales my life’s career, lessons learned as a car salesman have been useful for my entire life.

People’s names have always been a problem. Faces I can remember, names not so much. As far as names are concerned it’s as if I have a Teflon brain, nothing sticks!

Steve

salmontogue
47 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Muscle memory...am I the only one can't write...as in cursive or otherwise worth a crap anymore...due to constant typing on a tablet or keyboard....and my signature has become a scribble.

My hand writing is useless, often I can not decipher it at a later date.  I suppose I am regressing to printing if I ever want to have useful notes to myself.

Perk

kgb
3 hours ago, RMH said:

I read a quote attributed to Thomas Jefferson, who was known to have been a "creative speller". "Never trust anyone who can not spell a word more than one way". 

For some bizarre reason I can spell words very well.  If I stop to make sure I'm doing it right I'll probably mess it up, but on a straight roll it just comes out and I can tell it's right.  Just about anything else, forget it.  Really bad at names, and for those as well as events/details, sometimes it sticks and other times it won't---even if I'm trying to convince myself it's important.  Later on, the detail or name may just pop into clarity without prompting.  WTH!

It can be hard to deal with people who don't have such blessings, they can get upset when they don't understand how others aren't capable of remembering everything they see or hear.  They won't be educated, either.

jeff88

Summer after 4th grade neighborhood little league team - I can remember every kid and where they liked to play.  Now where are those dam# car keys?  

CzechSM
1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

...and then there is that auto correct function on your computer that believes it is a higher intelligence and changes words to something you never wanted or it just makes a person lazy and instead of thinking about spelling you just take a stab at it. Proof reading is a must and don't catch most mistakes anyway.

jeff88
37 minutes ago, CzechSM said:

...and then there is that auto correct function on your computer that believes it is a higher intelligence and changes words to something you never wanted or it just makes a person lazy and instead of thinking about spelling you just take a stab at it. Proof reading is a must and don't catch most mistakes anyway.

Wonder if it is because of my age but I spell better when writing by hand versus keyboarding and retain more when reading from paper versus a screen.  Also, when listening to audio books I retain less than when I read books.

oak stob

Interesting on cursive.....I often can not read what I myself just wrote.

I always put it down to preferring to print even thru college and beyond but now, my printing is trending down.....I put that to my mind and fingers are no longer in moving sync.

I’m left for ultimate blame with the whole flouride in the water thing.

Rockdoc
10 hours ago, oak stob said:

I’m left for ultimate blame with the whole flouride in the water thing.

Yep, it's in the water!