FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
mccuha

Baseball lovers.

mccuha

Well the Charlie hustle post got me thinking.  What was your favorite all time team.  Well now since they are on tv every day the braves are my favorite team starting back in the early 80’s. The teams that had the run in the 90’s was some of my favorite teams   We would go to the occasional braves game as long as remember but at the time were not my team My all time favorite is the Reds. Specifically during the time that the big red machine was playing.  In this age of trading players at the drop of a hat and the free agency to me the game has lost some luster. The days of when players played for the same team are pretty much gone. You have a few that will stay with the same team there whole career but I miss when most of the team stayed together for a long time.  

NW River Mac

I remember those Ted Turner days when the Braves were on all the time.  They had some good teams back then.  However my favorite team is the Red Sox.  Local radio covers them well so I can keep up easily.  A distant second is that team from Brooklyn.  

Dogwood

68 Tigers.  Al Kaline, Mickey Stanley, Norm Cash, Denny McLain, Willy Horton, Mickey Lolich.  My very first pro game was when the Tigers beat the Yankees in 10 innings to win the division pennant.  Tiger Stadium was electric.  I was 9 years young.  Epic World Series against the Cards.  Bob Gibson, ferocious!  Lou Brock.  You could pitch a batter tight back then and the guy wouldn't go apesh*t on ya.  A 9 inning game took about 2 hours. 

RuffChaser
8 hours ago, mccuha said:

Well the Charlie hustle post got me thinking.  What was your favorite all time team.  Well now since they are on tv every day the braves are my favorite team starting back in the early 80’s. The teams that had the run in the 90’s was some of my favorite teams   We would go to the occasional braves game as long as remember but at the time were not my team My all time favorite is the Reds. Specifically during the time that the big red machine was playing.  In this age of trading players at the drop of a hat and the free agency to me the game has lost some luster. The days of when players played for the same team are pretty much gone. You have a few that will stay with the same team there whole career but I miss when most of the team stayed together for a long time.  

I'm a Reds fan as well. Mainly because of Johnny Bench. My one and only sports hero. The Big Red Machine teams were pretty awesome. It's amazing to think how may good players they had on that team. Personally I really liked the 1990 Reds and think they were pretty underrated. They were in first place from day one through the entire season and swept the mighty A's in the World Series.

Fire Marshal Bill

I've been a Red Sox fan as long as I can remember. My favorite team gosh, there'sbeen so many I could go on and on. So I'll just say every year there my favorite team and leave it at that. 

Virgil Kane

Today's media outlets sure make it easier to have a different "favorite" than in years past.  Favorites use to be hometown teams because those were the only constants on the radio, out of town teams we only got to hear a couple of times a year.  Use to be a Cubs fan until I really started to take the game serious and then I became a baseball fan.  I got to play with a lot of big league players when I was young and played some AA ball. Lots of good guys back then (and now too)  that were honest and humble human beings that were excellent players.  

I enjoy all teams now that I can watch just about every game I want to see on cable TV.   If I had to pick just a couple of favorites it would be the 69-70 Detroit Tigers and just about any year St Louis Cards but then I would have to throw in LA, Twins, SF Giants, Boston, NY Yankee's, Cleveland and the old Milwaukee Braves also but lets not forget the 69 Mets shutting down Chicago in the run for the pennant, the Orioles with Cal Jr . Hard to pick just one, they all had their time in the sun. 

Virgil

Hettmoe

I am a fan of the game. Due to lack of exposure over the years, I am an American League Central guy. For a long time, of course, it was The American League West.

406dn

Baseball is a wonderful game. Lately, the game has evolved in a way that makes the games last too long. There are several factors in that. There is no such thing as a complete game by a starting pitcher anymore. Every pitching change extends the game several minutes. Hitters now work the count far more often, making for long at bats for most hitters. Both walks and strike outs are becoming more common, that takes a good bit longer than a first or second pitch pitch fly out.

There was a time when I lived in the Twin Cities. The Twins were awful then, but there was the chance to see great players on the other team. I made certain to catch a game whenever a certain player or pitcher was in town. Some of the players I made sure to see in no particular order are Hank Aaron, George Brett, Jim Rice, Dwight Evans, Reggie Jackson, Nolan Ryan, Mark (the bird) Fidrych, Ron Guidry, Jim Palmer, Brooks Robinson, and so on.

The Twins did have a few great players, I wish Tony Oliva's knees had not failed him so soon. That man could flat out hit a baseball. Rod Carew was another great hitter. 

More recently,, I ended up a Yankee fan. That is a source of bantering with my son who is a Twins fan and a good friend who is a Red Sox fan going back to Ted William's day.

Curt

Growing up I was a die hard Yankee's fan.  After moving to Pennsylvania in '74' I eventually became a Pirates fan and still follow them today.  I'd have to say that my favorite team since moving was the '79' Pirate team.

I had to edit this to relay a little story about my Yankee fan days.  During the '64' World Series I was a junior in high school.  I borrowed my sisters little transistor radio, the kind that had the wire and little ear piece thing.  I sat through classes with the thing hidden in my pocket and the wire under my shirt, just that tiny ear piece visible, listening to the series games.  I recall that the Cards were putting it to Mantle, Maris, and the team on the day I got caught and sent to see the principal. He confiscated the radio although I did finally get it back later in the year.  Fond memories.

Don Steese
2 hours ago, 406dn said:

Baseball is a wonderful game. Lately, the game has evolved in a way that makes the games last too long. There are several factors in that. There is no such thing as a complete game by a starting pitcher anymore. Every pitching change extends the game several minutes. Hitters now work the count far more often, making for long at bats for most hitters. Both walks and strike outs are becoming more common, that takes a good bit longer than a first or second pitch pitch fly out.

There was a time when I lived in the Twin Cities. The Twins were awful then, but there was the chance to see great players on the other team. I made certain to catch a game whenever a certain player or pitcher was in town. Some of the players I made sure to see in no particular order are Hank Aaron, George Brett, Jim Rice, Dwight Evans, Reggie Jackson, Nolan Ryan, Mark (the bird) Fidrych, Ron Guidry, Jim Palmer, Brooks Robinson, and so on.

The Twins did have a few great players, I wish Tony Oliva's knees had not failed him so soon. That man could flat out hit a baseball. Rod Carew was another great hitter. 

More recently,, I ended up a Yankee fan. That is a source of bantering with my son who is a Twins fan and a good friend who is a Red Sox fan going back to Ted William's day.

There's a part of me that agrees with this. Both the games and the season are too long. Another part of me enjoys the relaxed pace of the game. Been a Dodger fan since they were in Brooklyn. Man does that make me old!!  

walt lister

1958 Dodgers.--------------------- Koufax, Drysdale, Reese, Newcombe, Podres,, Hodges, Roseboro, Snider, Furillo, Erskine etc. Baseball mania in Los Angeles, filled the enormous Coliseum with new fans. And Vin Scully too.

Also liked the '73 Oakland As--------------------Reggie Jackson, Catfish Hunter, Vida Blue, Rollie Fingers etc and those retro uniforms and handlebar  moustaches.

Clueless1
2 hours ago, Curt said:

Growing up I was a die hard Yankee's fan.  After moving to Pennsylvania in '74' I eventually became a Pirates fan and still follow them today.  I'd have to say that my favorite team since moving was the '79' Pirate team.

You got to see the best of the Pirates in my opinion.  I was 7 and my Dad took me down to a WS game.  Amazing experience.  We were in left field and a 'cheer' wnet up when an Oriole hit a HR.  Everyone had stood up so I couldn't see what happened.  Had to ask my Dad what happened.  Turns out some guy had gotten a fish net in the stadium and reached out and caught the HR with it.  

For those that say Braves, as a Pirate fan, you're welcome!  I still have nightmares of Francisco Cabrera and Sid Bream slowly rounding third.  As one writer here wrote, "Bonds made a good throw, he needed to make a great throw."   

jeff88
39 minutes ago, Clueless1 said:

For those that say Braves, as a Pirate fan, you're welcome!  I still have nightmares of Francisco Cabrera and Sid Bream slowly rounding third.  As one writer here wrote, "Bonds made a good throw, he needed to make a great throw."   

Bonds also did not hit his weight in any playoff series - and this was before steroids and his 40 pound head.  He was well below the Mendoza line for PGH's post season runs.  Bream was slow to begin with and even slower with a leg injury and Bonds still missed by 1st down.  BTW, was not happy Sid went to ATL, really liked him as a Buc.

Am a lifelong Pirates fan.  Going to a game is far better than watching on TV.  Have been to Forbes Field, 3 Rivers and now PNC Park.  3 Rivers may have been the worst ball park in history, Riverfront is right up there.  Multi-use parks basically stink for baseball, IMHO.   If you ever get a chance to go to PNC, do it!  Best ball park I've been in.

One of my earliest memories was walking home from the bus stop in 1960 during a world series game and a neighbor lady came bursting out of her house banging on a pan followed by all the moms on Indian Drive doing the same.  Bill Mazeroski had just hit the game winning home run in the bottom of the 9th against a massively favored Yankees team at Forbes Field.  How this is considered by the baseball pundits to not be more significant as "The shot heard 'round the world" utterly escapes me.  The "shot" was not in a world series game, just a league championship.  It was hit by someone who was expected to homer.  Maz was a fantastic defensive 2nd baseman who was a light hitter.  Forbes Field had more acreage in the outfield of any ball park in it's time, let alone today.  Center field was 440' alley's were 400'.  And Maz hit one out, bottom of the 9th, game tied 8-8.  Shot heard round the world my @$$!  Even back then particular attention was paid to NY teams by the writers, at least this writer absconded with the title of an Emerson poem.  Literate hack.

Pirates up 10-2 in the bottom of the 8th, one on, two out.  If they win they will be 12-6, not a bad start for 2018.  

Larry Brown
10 hours ago, Dogwood said:

68 Tigers.  Al Kaline, Mickey Stanley, Norm Cash, Denny McLane, Willy Horton, Mickey Lolich.  My very first pro game was when the Tigers beat the Yankees in 10 innings to win the division pennant.  Tiger Stadium was electric.  I was 9 years young.  Epic World Series against the Cards.  Bob Gibson, ferocious!  Lou Brock.  You could pitch a batter tight back then and the guy wouldn't go apesh*t on ya.  A 9 inning game took about 2 hours. 

That was a great team.  Murderers' Row.  I saw what was maybe the only good game McLain pitched after Senators' owner Bob Short traded away most of manager Ted Williams' infield to get him.  It was against the Tigers.  McLain was mowing them down and dancing around on the mound.

My favorite team from that era:  Baltimore Orioles.  I pumped gas with Orioles reliever Eddie Watt when we were both students at Northern Iowa and Eddie was still in the minors.  Came back to campus every fall semester.  Had great timing.  Finished his degree, made the Orioles in 1966--when they swept the Dodgers in the Series.  Pretty sure Eddie was making the league minimum, which was something like $7-8,000 back then.  He made more from the Series (and never pitched) than he did for the entire season.  Brooks and Frank Robinson, Boog Powell, Jim Palmer.  I moved to DC in 68, and Eddie would get me free tickets either in DC or Baltimore.  Saw quite a few games back then.

Brad Eden

1967 Red Sox "dream team". I was only 9 years old and in little league. Carl Yastrzemski, Rico Petrocelli, Ken Harrelson, Tony Conigliaro etc. Wow what a time.