• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
mccuha

Baseball lovers.

quailguy
7 hours ago, Larry Brown said:

Dizzy was colorful, for sure.  And he and Peewee were a great team.  Trivia question:  Anyone remember Dizzy's broadcast partner before Peewee?

Bud Blattner, but I had to cheat and look it up !!!

I dunno if we said it or not but Dizzy was the very last player to wind 30 games. Nowadays hardly anyone wins 20 games in a season.

Somewhat OT, my bro has the family heirloom baseball, signed by all of the 1934 Cardinals team that won the pennant.

jeff88
1 hour ago, Clueless1 said:

Muck the Fets.  Think I even had a shirt that said it at the time :D

Who in PGH did not want to see Dwight "Doc" Gooden hammered by the Pirates after his comment about PGH "They're just a bunch of little leaguers."  That was said one year before the team caught fire and beat the Mets for the East.  Even though he, Strawberry and Gary Carter were PGH enemies 1, 2 and 3, gotta say that was a great team.  But still, muck 'em!

Tonight Jamo Taillon pitches against a recent Pirate nemesis, Jake Arrietta now with the Phillies via the Cubs.  His dad Mike is with him as it's the Pirates "take your dad to work day."  Wish we had MLB tv for this one game, not carried here in TX.

mccuha

I went to my first pirate’s game a couple years ago.  It was on part of a vacation trip stop over. Another reason we went was to see them play the cubs. On the Cubs is a local kid that we wanted to see pitch. Carl Edwards jr.  cubs lost but it was a great place to see a ball game and catch up a little bit with the local kid.  Arrietta actually started that game

Wet Dog
1 hour ago, jeff88 said:

Tonight Jamo Taillon pitches against a recent Pirate nemesis, Jake Arrietta now with the Phillies via the Cubs.  His dad Mike is with him as it's the Pirates "take your dad to work day."  Wish we had MLB tv for this one game, not carried here in TX.

MLB is showing baseball on Youtube TV now.  Sign up for a free trial and watch away.  Pitt/Philly is the featured/free game tonight I believe.

quailguy
3 hours ago, Wet Dog said:

Pitt/Philly is the featured/free game tonight I believe.

6-0 Phills at 855PM. 35 degrees or so and an 18 MPH wind. COLD !!! 

Larry Brown
16 hours ago, quailguy said:

Bud Blattner, but I had to cheat and look it up !!!

I dunno if we said it or not but Dizzy was the very last player to wind 30 games. Nowadays hardly anyone wins 20 games in a season.

Somewhat OT, my bro has the family heirloom baseball, signed by all of the 1934 Cardinals team that won the pennant.

Don't feel bad, QG.  Most guys would have to look up Buddy Blattner.

One pitcher has won 30 since Dizzy:  The Tigers' Denny McLain, 1968.  I remember that because I was a slow pitch softball pitcher back then, and also topped 30 wins that year.  But McLain's ERA was a lot better than mine!

Wow!  A baseball signed by the Gashouse Gang!  That's great.  My first high school teaching job, one of the other teachers grew up in the St. Louis area.  Howard was a catcher, and the Cardinals held a tryout for local talent.  He told me that he got to catch Dizzy's brother Paul.  "What was that like?" I asked him.  "He broke my hand!" he replied.  Howard said that Paul threw harder than Dizzy but wasn't as smart.  "Me and Paul are gonna win 50 games between us!"  And they did exactly that in 1934.

quailguy
14 minutes ago, Larry Brown said:

He told me that he got to catch Dizzy's brother Paul.  "What was that like?" I asked him.  "He broke my hand!" he replied.  Howard said that Paul threw harder than Dizzy but wasn't as smart.  "Me and Paul are gonna win 50 games between us!"  And they did exactly that in 1934.

Well, Larry, I never heard that Dizzy HAD a brother in baseball before today. Well done!

jeff88
15 hours ago, Wet Dog said:

MLB is showing baseball on Youtube TV now.  Sign up for a free trial and watch away.  Pitt/Philly is the featured/free game tonight I believe.

Darn, just saw this.  Not watching last night's game was the better choice though.  Jamo was bombed in the 2nd giving up 5 runs.

Virgil Kane
2 hours ago, jeff88 said:

Darn, just saw this.  Not watching last night's game was the better choice though.  Jamo was bombed in the 2nd giving up 5 runs.

Jambo has gotta put a little mustard on the ball. If he doesn't he allows the other team to ketchup.

Virgil 

Larry Brown
13 hours ago, quailguy said:

Well, Larry, I never heard that Dizzy HAD a brother in baseball before today. Well done!

Paul's nickname was Daffy.  That was one colorful baseball team!

KerryLuft

I met Dizzy when I was about 8. Went to the little roadside museum he had in Mississippi. He gave my family a personal tour and a signed picture. Wonderfully nice man.

mccuha

My dad met a famous Detroit and hated by a lot. Ty Cobb. His dad new someone that new him. He lived in a town not to far from here. My dad and his dad went to cobb’s House and talked to him a long time. It was maybe a few years before he passed.  Dad said it was one of his most memorable events in his life. My dad went on and played minor league for a couple yrs for the braves. He played against Tim Mcarver in the American legion World Series. 

RuffChaser
On 4/17/2018 at 9:12 PM, mccuha said:

Well the Charlie hustle post got me thinking.  What was your favorite all time team.  Well now since they are on tv every day the braves are my favorite team starting back in the early 80’s. The teams that had the run in the 90’s was some of my favorite teams   We would go to the occasional braves game as long as remember but at the time were not my team My all time favorite is the Reds. Specifically during the time that the big red machine was playing.  In this age of trading players at the drop of a hat and the free agency to me the game has lost some luster. The days of when players played for the same team are pretty much gone. You have a few that will stay with the same team there whole career but I miss when most of the team stayed together for a long time.  

This latest version of the REDS is the exact opposite of the Big Red Machine. If it weren't for Votto I don't even know if I'd be interested. He's off to a slow start like usual but I'm sure he'll end up around .320, 35, 100, 100 with an OBP of 450 or so.

quailguy
3 hours ago, RuffChaser said:

This latest version of the REDS is the exact opposite of the Big Red Machine. If it weren't for Votto I don't even know if I'd be interested. He's off to a slow start like usual but I'm sure he'll end up around .320, 35, 100, 100 with an OBP of 450 or so.

Pitching, they need pitching! The Reds need some good arms before they are going to get anywhere IMHO.

RuffChaser
25 minutes ago, quailguy said:

Pitching, they need pitching! The Reds need some good arms before they are going to get anywhere IMHO.

I absolutely agree with you. I still am confused as to why they gave Homer the big contract and not Johny Cueto. Their ability to evaluate/draft/develop pitching is horrendous and  borders on completely inept. I think it's the reason Larkin told them they need to improve their farm system before he'd manage them. He knows he'd be screwed if he tried to manage them with what they have in the far system for pitching talent.