FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Dave Erickson

Baitcasting tackle fans?

Dave Erickson

OK, so what if I'm a crude man? I like bait casting gear! I also keep some good spinning outfits handy. 

Here are a couple of my lightweight casting rigs. (The tip of the iceberg...)

The one in front is a Shimano Conquest 50 on the lightest Loomis GLX crankbait rod. Behind it is an Abu 1500C on Wiebe-handled Loomis 721. The lone rod on top is a 2-piece custom waiting for a Daiwa PX-68 SPR reel to arrive.

Living on the upper Mississippi River give me plenty of opportunities to hurl little plugs at bass, walleye, and pike. 

Anyone else like casting gear? I find it is a healthy way to stop obsessing on shotguns. ;)

8lGWJw.jpg

lee sykes

I tried it once but it didn't work out.   I couldn't seem to cast very far with it.  I think the rig I had, required fairly heavy lures or maybe a chicken carcass. 

Dave Erickson

Many a channel cat has fallen for chicken liver! 

lee sykes
14 minutes ago, Dave Erickson said:

Many a channel cat has fallen for chicken liver! 

olfactory hunter? 

Dave Erickson

4718lI.jpg
1rto8v.jpg
BNIrPK.jpg
6eUtpO.jpg
qlpLgV.jpg

These were stacked up in high water and made for a fun mixed bag. More came out of this hole, but that's all the picture snapping I had in me.

I think the fishing bug is back.

Curt

I've always preferred bait casting tackle for muskie fishing.  Throwing large plugs and bucktails is where bait casting tackle really comes into it's own.

lee sykes
1 hour ago, Dave Erickson said:

4718lI.jpg
1rto8v.jpg
BNIrPK.jpg
6eUtpO.jpg
qlpLgV.jpg

These were stacked up in high water and made for a fun mixed bag. More came out of this hole, but that's all the picture snapping I had in me.

I think the fishing bug is back.

That white perch is huge! 

Dave Erickson
1 hour ago, Curt said:

I've always preferred bait casting tackle for muskie fishing.  Throwing large plugs and bucktails is where bait casting tackle really comes into it's own.

My first baitcaster was an Abu 6500C bought with my HS graduation money. It was and still is a classic musky reel. The small baitcasters are wonderful. Nothing like casting a small plug on a baitcaster built like a watch. 

lee sykes

call me Mr. Backlash.   :)

Longrifle

I bought the first Shimano baitcaster to have a commercially successful magnetic drag some 35 years ago, and still use it.  I bought two twins to that set up and a few other that I picked up here and there.  I just found a brand new in the box Johnny Morris signature gold series at an estate sale for $40, and will try that one this weekend if I'm lucky.  Here we are mostly throwing spinnerbaits and topwater in the spring and crankbaits, jigs and plastics summer to fall for bass.  All my light saltwater light rods are conventional/baitcast Penns with levelwinds, and I keep eyeballing some of the long distance casting reels for the surf, whereas now I use Penn spinfishers and spinfisher live liners.

mccuha

I like bait casters but use them primarily for crank baits, worms and for flipping pig and jig. I do like them as well for catfish. I prefer spinning for top water worms. I do occasionaly use a bait caster for top water worms but not my preference. Spinning for everything else.

shoot-straight

Both spin and bait casters have their places here in MD. 

I will echo the large heavy stuff w baitcasters

oak stob

sszzzzzzzzzz...plunk. Who does not like that?

The little Shimano fits in the palm like a big walnut...it’s a dandy.

Someone, I forget who, pushed Shimanos because of the bicycle gear connection or some such...dunno, but it is a nice reel.

The two Daiwas work as well.

There is a time and a place for baitcasters...often, fish are involved.

4A692CB9-1856-4029-9670-F8CB253F729F.jpeg

Dave Erickson

Amen, brother!  

I just put line on the little Abu last night. I might just go throw a few casts at dark.

Dave Erickson

My one of favorite Shimano's was snagged in about 50' of water below a dam in the Mississippi River. Some guy must have been dead sticking or just fumbled it overboard. I had a local reel guy clean it up and what a tough reel. Makes me yearn for a northwoods lake and a summer evening.