Dave Erickson

Baitcasting tackle fans?

lee sykes
7 hours ago, oak stob said:

sszzzzzzzzzz...plunk. Who does not like that?

The little Shimano fits in the palm like a big walnut...it’s a dandy.

Someone, I forget who, pushed Shimanos because of the bicycle gear connection or some such...dunno, but it is a nice reel.

The two Daiwas work as well.

There is a time and a place for baitcasters...often, fish are involved.

4A692CB9-1856-4029-9670-F8CB253F729F.jpeg

I had a Daiwa on an ugly stick. Formidable looking rig but there was a learning curve.  My stepson left it at his friend's house.  A cabin on a lake with a single Mom and four boys could find an extra pole useful I imagined so there it stayed. 

WyomingArt

Really like the feel and control of a bait reel for fighting big  bass and pike.  When I  guided,  visiting bass fishermen with bait reels were a treat. They usually could hit a dinner plate target  from a moving boat, approach, leaving and sometimes a third time passing, could identify structure and  knew a big bag of tricks.

Dave Erickson

We have pretty decent bass fishing on the Mississippi River and connected backwaters, and I catch a lot of crankbait walleyes when the water temps are right. Baitcasters just lend themselves to heavier line and muscling fish out of cover, while the design minimizes line twist in the big current. That said, the downsized baitcasters are simply a hoot with small lures. Just the casting process itself is enjoyable, and I also trust a casting reel drag much more than a spinning reel drag, especially with lighter line.

Truth is I like them all and I can't imagine not having my spinning rods in the boat. Horses for courses, and my floating big tackle box is locked and loaded. ;)

lee sykes

Dave, You're the real deal i have always said. Both Huntin and fishin! 

oak stob
29 minutes ago, Dave Erickson said:

...... Just the casting process itself is enjoyable, and I also trust a casting reel drag much more than a spinning reel drag, especially with lighter line......

:( I wish I had more experience with that whole trusting of a reel’s drag thing.

lee sykes
3 minutes ago, oak stob said:

:( I wish I had more experience with that whole trusting of a reel’s drag thing.

I wish I could catch a fish big enough for it to matter! 

oak stob
9 minutes ago, lee sykes said:

I wish I could catch a fish big enough for it to matter! 

That was what I was trying to say but my keyboard slipped.  ;)

Dave Erickson

At least with a spinning reel you can always backreel!  

Long is the trail of tears from cheap line and rough drags.

lee sykes
1 hour ago, Dave Erickson said:

At least with a spinning reel you can always backreel!  

Long is the trail of tears from cheap line and rough drags.

I caught my biggest largemouth on a spinning rod with 6 lb test line that I had tied together. I could see the knot out there as I played the fish. :)

Dave Erickson

High anxiety!

fourtrax57

Dave practices "The other Great hobby!"

Fishing.

Dave Erickson

It gives me a little balance, man. Otherwise I'd be obsessing on shotguns year round.

MAArcher

I have a little Shimano Calcutta and several Abu's.  I love them until I'm left sitting on the beach picking at a birds nest while the stripers are bustin bait right in front of me.

Okhotnik
On 4/20/2018 at 9:16 AM, Curt said:

I've always preferred bait casting tackle for muskie fishing.  Throwing large plugs and bucktails is where bait casting tackle really comes into it's own.

Yep

SelbyLowndes

I'm a South Georgia bass guy so baitcasters are my idea of what fishing tackle is.  I learned with a Pfleuger Akron tossing a practice plug in my front lawn.  Almost wore out my Dad's lawn with that thing. 

When the Ambassadeur  free spool reels came out i was an instant expert.  I fish the Ever-Glades National Park out of Chockoloskee  for Snook and tarpon using the same bait casting gear I use for Largemouth Bass here in GA.  I've never fished for Smallmouth up North, but its on my bucket list...SelbyLowndes