Dave Erickson

Baitcasting tackle fans?

Don Steese
On 4/25/2018 at 5:10 AM, Dave Erickson said:

It gives me a little balance, man. Otherwise I'd be obsessing on shotguns year round.

With some practice one can obsess on shotguns while fishing!!  Took me  a bit but I've got it mastered!! :P

BTW..I love baitcasting gear!! Never tried the lightweight ones though. What would be a good rod/reel combo to get me started down the primrose path??  I like quality gear and am not reluctant to pay the price!

Dave Erickson

Don, beware the dark side! The nicest reels come from the Japanese domestic market. Japanese anglers are just fussier about the little details and they don't send their best stuff over here. The crown jewel for me has been the JDM Shimano Calcutta Conquest in the 50 size. That's the bottom reel in my first photo. They've dropped the 50, but the new 100 sized reels are still very small, but more robust. I have a petite JDM Daiwa PX-68 I also like, but I believe they are discontinued. The JDM Shimano Scorpion is also a winner and I'd take a look at the JDM Scorpion 16. I've imported several reels directly from Japan either new, or desirable models on eBay. The exchange rate must be good right now because I'm seeing a lot of JDM reels priced as low or lower than high-end stateside reels.

Here's a couple links. The first is a real good vendor in Japan, and the 2nd has endless information and discussions on casting equiptment. 

http://japantackle.com

http://www.tackletour.net

Here's an old review of the Conquest.

http://tackletour.com/reviewshimanoconquest.html

Korthaar

My little brother was a wiz with a bait caster. Could hit his mark within inches everytime. I just flat out failed at it. I would tease him that he may as well fish with a closed face reel, but really I was jealous. He always outfished me on every species....

Dave Erickson
14 hours ago, Don Steese said:

With some practice one can obsess on shotguns while fishing!!  Took me  a bit but I've got it mastered!! :P

BTW..I love baitcasting gear!! Never tried the lightweight ones though. What would be a good rod/reel combo to get me started down the primrose path??  I like quality gear and am not reluctant to pay the price!

Don, one more thing. For throwing the light stuff it's best if the rod is softer and more parabolic. It needs to load to launch the lightweight stuff. Makes catching 2 pound smallies extra fun!

The bottom reel is the Daiwa PX-68.  

Yep, that's a Spin-Oreno on the Abu! 

TDBkXA.jpg 

Chukarman

Dave -- I have an assortment of casting tackle tht I use mainly on Black bass and Striped bass. The tackle has gottent very refined since I started casting when I was a kid. Good thing for me O.o

Dave Erickson
On 5/6/2018 at 6:21 PM, Chukarman said:

Dave -- I have an assortment of casting tackle tht I use mainly on Black bass and Striped bass. The tackle has gottent very refined since I started casting when I was a kid. Good thing for me O.o

Mike, I agree. Nothing is backlash proof, but they sure have gotten better. It's been a long time since I've had to cut the line out of my reel in pieces. :$

T-Bone

Your average Washington and Oregon steelhead drift fisherman uses a bait casting reel. It provides better drift control for that type of fishing.

aje4

Dave, should you be using St. Croix rods....lol

aje4

mart

I didn't get any pictures but last week I hiked into Red Shirt Lake for some pike fishing. I took my dad's old Pflueger baitcasting reel and some ancient topwater plugs. He bought the reel and plugs in 1950/51 when he was in his 20's and doing a lot of bass fishing. I did catch one 20 inch pike on a vintage Lucky 13 plug. We got lots of follows and a few bumps but they were pretty lethargic.

Dave Erickson
19 hours ago, aje4 said:

Big fan of them! And I have no less than 5-7 St. Croix's, mostly spinning rods. My main walleye/smallmouth jig rods are St. Croix's, and one of the muskie casting rods. 

GraceinVA

I love using a baitcaster for jigging for flounder in the bay. I make several trips every year for reds, specks, and fat chested flatties (opposed to flat chested fatties). I used a 1/4 to 1 oz jig head with Gulp swimming mullet and I have gotten pretty good at casting that setup. But I also do a lot of dropping the bait and jigging the pylons at piers and docks. I also try not to spend much more than $30-50 on a reel. Whatever Walmart has will work for me. I spray them off at the end of the day and typically can get 3-5 years from a reel. When it jams up, I toss it and buy a new one. 

Just typing this has me thinking about taking a "sick day" and running down there...

Speaks

I fish almost exclusively baitcasters, on soft water anyway. For Muskie run revo nacl, currado 300, a saltist and some old Abbus. Run mostly currados on my bass and pike rigs although I have about half a dozen old citcas rigged up for either some special purpose rig or as backups / loaners. Most recent rods are either TI for musky or St Croix Avid X for everything else. 

topdog1961

I've always admired those who could use baitcasters. I just assumed  "real" fishermen used them while the rest of us fumbled around with spinning reels. After all, isn't that what all the pro bass fishermen use? My nephew is a fishing machine, he was on his college fishing team and got to fish tournaments with a lot of the pros. He can effortlessly cast unweighted plastics further with a baitcaster than I can with a spinner, with narry a backlash. I've given them my best effort, and been found wanting. 

Auto-5

When I was about 16 I bought two ambassadur 5000 reels with my lawn mowing money. I gave one to my Dad for his birthday. I think he was a bit upset that I had spent so much a whopping $27 apiece for them , I still remember that as a result. Anyway I now have both reels again and they work as well today as they did then. I’ve caugth a lot of fish on mine over the past 50 years or so. Probably one of the best investments I ever made.