FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
dogrunner

F150 diesel.

67diesel
On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 7:29 PM, dogrunner said:

Now Ford finally brings there’s out but is only putting it in there most Expensive trucks not there Work trucks so that limits its sales even more. 

Nope, you can get the 3.0L dizzel on XL and XLT fleet trucks.  Great motor if you're pulling a backhoe or Bobcat.  A big advantage it has over the VM Mottori in the Ram is that Ram uses electric fan which will de-rate at hi engine temp, the 3.0L Lion uses mechanical fan. 

NECarson
On 4/26/2018 at 10:15 AM, 25/06 said:

For the money this article is talking about the competition for the F150 Diesel will not be the 3.5 eco. It will be the xlt super duty 3/4 ton diesel.

The 150 diesel is aimed at a completely different market from the 250/350

25/06
11 hours ago, 67diesel said:

Nope, you can get the 3.0L dizzel on XL and XLT fleet trucks.  Great motor if you're pulling a backhoe or Bobcat.  A big advantage it has over the VM Mottori in the Ram is that Ram uses electric fan which will de-rate at hi engine temp, the 3.0L Lion uses mechanical fan. 

If they have it in lower models that would help the cost a bit but it still sounded like it is an upgrade from the eco which is the most expensive option now. I would have bought one when I bought my 14 but I only use truck for travel 90% of the time with a trailer.

10 hours ago, NECarson said:

The 150 diesel is aimed at a completely different market from the 250/350

I was reading the truck forums before I bought my last truck and people seem to boil it done to two things cost, and do I have enough truck to do the job.

Most of the time people were looking between 3/4 ton and 1/2 ton because the 1/2 ton was cheaper. Most of the towing forms will tell you that you need a Peterbilt to pull a pop up tent.

People that are looking to pull your typical camper want a 1/2 ton daily driver convenience and mileage but do not want white knuckle experience pulling. Pulling a light load say a 7-9000lb camper for short hauls either will do the job. To pull all the way across the country and make it enjoyable the 3/4 ton wins hands down. Going to the grocery store with your 3/4 ton is an inconvenience.

If you offer two diesel trucks one 1/2 ton one 3/4 ton but the prices are very close together people will pick the 3/4 ton every time. The new 3/4 tons are a lot nicer trucks than they used to be .

Cost aside there is a luxury/status  attached to a 3/4 diesel real or perceived that people wanting the best pay for. Most of the guys here are a lot more practical than this.

One other element in cost is resale. In 2015 we bought 11 new trucks all 3/4 ton diesels. The old ones were all 3/4 ton diesels varied between 2006 and 2010. These were a mixture of GM and fords most with at least 200,000 miles. These are not stripped down trucks but were used as crew trucks. The boss did not trade them he parked them out front and put them on the internet.  In two weeks they were all gone and not one sold for less than $10,000. Try that with a fleet of gas trucks. Part of the good prices for an old truck is that none of these had the

new emission requirements.

WI Outdoor Nut

I will let this play out a year or three when I will be looking to replace my 2012 F150 ecoboost (which I have loved the motor btw).  My brother is running the dodge 1/2 ton diesel and loves the economy, especially when pulling, but had a lot of emission issues early on. I just returned from an 800 mile trip pulling about 6000#'s worth of gear on a tandem axle.  We were using a 1/2 ton F150 ecoboost and all around received ~ 12 mpg.  Same exact trip last year with my buddies Duramax we averaged 18 mpg.  I own 3 vehicles and with my truck, 50% of the time have something hooked up to it.  A small diesel in a 1/2 ton truck does sound intriguing to a guy like me.  Even with the extra fuel and upkeep cost. 

dogrunner

Seen and heard one run yesterday not much louder than my 5.0 Coyote motor when idling. 

kgb
On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:18 AM, kgb said:

A friend bought a small-diesel Dodge 1500 a few years back when they came out, but I just heard he's sold it.  He loved it when he bought it, I'm curious why he's sold it and will find out next month.

Turned out an injury made it difficult for him to get in and out of the truck, he's only able to climb aboard automobiles now.  Loved the truck up to the day he had to sell.  Mystery (to me) solved.

dogrunner

4D3A5160-EF3E-4C3A-BF4F-7F3030608097.jpeg

8796E40C-BB33-4A79-8A88-274EDE062E39.jpeg

2685973E-6525-4824-9C8A-4A59DB867547.jpeg

3E19CD59-5C63-4E05-B2BC-7DC64A809C15.jpeg

salmontogue
14 hours ago, dogrunner said:

4D3A5160-EF3E-4C3A-BF4F-7F3030608097.jpeg

8796E40C-BB33-4A79-8A88-274EDE062E39.jpeg

2685973E-6525-4824-9C8A-4A59DB867547.jpeg

3E19CD59-5C63-4E05-B2BC-7DC64A809C15.jpeg

Impressive provided the DEF system works properly and is durable.

Perk

25/06
Posted (edited)

For the first time I took a significant trip without a trailer with my 14 f150 ecoboost. We drove to Florida and back with a week of vacation and a week of work tied in. We took the long way home thru Indiana to visit my wife's parents graves. 4380 miles of driving we got exactly 20MPG as an average. We did not have a trailer but we had about 800lbs of gear in back under tarp.  The lows were driving 80+ mph across the prairie bucking wind 17mpg. Driving across Florida speeds closer to 65mph for 23.8MPG.

When I pull a 6'X 12' trailer that is 7' tall and about 4500lb I get 10.5-12.8 mpg depending on speed. If you pull a significant trailer my friends were reporting 7-9.9mpg

The truck is a first 2014 F150 4 door short box 4X4 with 3.5 eco and 3.73 gears.

My Friend made same trip earlier this year pulling a golf cart on a utility trailer. He has 2017 F150 4 door short box Lariat 4X4 with 3.5 eco 3.55 gears and 10 speed transmission. He averaged 16.7 mpg but did much more commuting as he stayed 2 month. ( he pulled the cart almost all the time)

Empty on the road the gas motors do well. Pulling a trailer that catches wind and the mileage drops to about 1/2.

This is where a diesel could prove its worth. The gas motors extra 120hp may make the gas more drivable in high speed traffic.

Edited by 25/06
add without trailer

dogrunner

My new 5.0 runs real good and gets better mileage than my 16 did, not sure about the new 10 speed trans yet.  Still don’t care for the ride of the Supercab since it lost the weight, too bouncy. 

WI Outdoor Nut
On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 8:06 AM, 25/06 said:

For the first time I took a significant trip without a trailer with my 14 f150 ecoboost. We drove to Florida and back with a week of vacation and a week of work tied in. We took the long way home thru Indiana to visit my wife's parents graves. 4380 miles of driving we got exactly 20MPG as an average. We did not have a trailer but we had about 800lbs of gear in back under tarp.  The lows were driving 80+ mph across the prairie bucking wind 17mpg. Driving across Florida speeds closer to 65mph for 23.8MPG.

When I pull a 6'X 12' trailer that is 7' tall and about 4500lb I get 10.5-12.8 mpg depending on speed. If you pull a significant trailer my friends were reporting 7-9.9mpg

The truck is a first 2014 F150 4 door short box 4X4 with 3.5 eco and 3.73 gears.

My Friend made same trip earlier this year pulling a golf cart on a utility trailer. He has 2017 F150 4 door short box Lariat 4X4 with 3.5 eco 3.55 gears and 10 speed transmission. He averaged 16.7 mpg but did much more commuting as he stayed 2 month. ( he pulled the cart almost all the time)

Empty on the road the gas motors do well. Pulling a trailer that catches wind and the mileage drops to about 1/2.

This is where a diesel could prove its worth. The gas motors extra 120hp may make the gas more drivable in high speed traffic.

Your #'s sound just like mine would be for similar situations.  I will say, I have never owned a vehicle that seems to fluctuate more with speeds and headwind/tailwind more than my F150.  have seen over 23 mpg with a great tailwind, and as low as 16 mpg with a headwind on the exact same road, same speed, just wind variable. 

garyRI

One of my SILs is waiting for the diesl F150. The other SIL says the F150 diesel is optimized for economy not towing.

dogrunner
On 6/30/2018 at 8:49 PM, garyRI said:

One of my SILs is waiting for the diesl F150. The other SIL says the F150 diesel is optimized for economy not towing.

It should pull half way decent with the torque  it has,  if its too heavy you should be using a Super-duty anyways.