• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
Meridiandave

FF on the water.

Meridiandave

Doing a little swimming Force Fetch in preparation for the Utlity Test.  Did some awesome retireves. 

Also did some good whoa stops.

20180420_173040.jpg

20180420_174442.jpg

Fire Marshal Bill

Nice looking Griffon you have there. Good luck with the utility test. 

DonT

Good luck with the UT.  My 2 year old Griffon is working on the UPT for the fall.  I am curious about your FF in the water, at what point and how much pressure and how do you put pressure on the dog?  

Meridiandave
3 hours ago, DonT said:

Good luck with the UT.  My 2 year old Griffon is working on the UPT for the fall.  I am curious about your FF in the water, at what point and how much pressure and how do you put pressure on the dog?  

Don,  One nick on the lowest sportdog setting with each command.  She gets a nic when she heads out.  She is showing no hesitation on the rest of the deal.  The only other time she may get nicked is when she comes out of the water drops the bumper and shakes.  I almost have that cured.

Basically she is getting a nick on all commands right now to reinforce the e-collar.

DonT

Thanks Dave, I have refrained from using the E-collar in and around water, I will rethink that.  My dog also will occasionally drop the bumper when shake off, mostly when the water is cold, funny he won't drop a Dokken or a bird.   No big problems here but it's nice to know others train. 

IMG_1223.thumb.JPG.2516272d72e40c4360cf95ce42ebeb00.JPG

Meridiandave

The problem on the Utility is it has to be delivered to hand or the dog gets a deduction.  

Great looking griff.   Who did you get your griff from?

DonT

Yes the UPT only requires the dog to bring the bird within reach of the handler, but we have always trained to hand.  We will both have the delivery problem worked out before the test I'm sure.  Good thing the test is with birds, my boy is a different dog with a bird in his mouth.  

Thanks for the complement, I may be biased but I to think he's a nice looking Griffon.  My Griffon is out of New Brunswick, Canada, all French lines his father is from France. I asked for a pup "that most people would think was too hard to handle" I know that's like asking for the fastest Turtle.  He has an attitude and is hard headed, with tons of drive but is the sweetest most loving dog I have ever had.  Hunting with him is like hunting with a good friend, just a pleasure to be around him. 

Keep me updated on the training and the test.

DSC_0047.thumb.JPG.699840fc98a65642b155a4663cf6c387.JPG

Meridiandave

Pageska?

3 hours ago, DonT said:

Yes the UPT only requires the dog to bring the bird within reach of the handler, but we have always trained to hand.  We will both have the delivery problem worked out before the test I'm sure.  Good thing the test is with birds, my boy is a different dog with a bird in his mouth.  

Thanks for the complement, I may be biased but I to think he's a nice looking Griffon.  My Griffon is out of New Brunswick, Canada, all French lines his father is from France. I asked for a pup "that most people would think was too hard to handle" I know that's like asking for the fastest Turtle.  He has an attitude and is hard headed, with tons of drive but is the sweetest most loving dog I have ever had.  Hunting with him is like hunting with a good friend, just a pleasure to be around him. 

Keep me updated on the training and the test.

DSC_0047.thumb.JPG.699840fc98a65642b155a4663cf6c387.JPG

Pageska?

Hal Standish
On 4/21/2018 at 3:57 PM, Meridiandave said:

Doing a little swimming Force Fetch in preparation for the Utlity Test.  Did some awesome retireves. 

Also did some good whoa stops.

20180420_173040.jpg

20180420_174442.jpg

Well not sure about FF on water?  But this would be a good time to work on "Swim-bys" which is a simple drill that teaches the dog to take more water and not cheat on lines or blinds.

DonT
14 hours ago, Meridiandave said:

Pageska?

Yes,  I should have just come out with it but I am strangely protective of this breeder. 

So tell me about your wonderful Griffon.  I am very interested in what I call the mid west dogs, I imagine they have better heat tolerance and range farther.