2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
ARKBRDHUNTER

Quail are Whistling

ARKBRDHUNTER

Heard the first quail whistling last week and yesterday morning on the way home from church a pair crossed the road in front of us. I naturally slammed on the brakes to avoid hitting them which took my wife by surprise. 

Time to talk to the local turkey hunters to see if where they are hearing quail. Being about the only bird hunter around turkey and deer hunters usually share this information with me and I reciprocate with any sightings of their quarry I have. 

mccuha

I’ve bumped a couple males this turkey season. Guess they were trying to find a female 

Cheesy

Walked out on porch yesterday and one was calling from my blackberry brambles. Love that call. 

bmeador

Heard my first on Sunday here in Southside VA.

MUSTANGER7

Sure do miss that call, the quail down here seem to have forgotten how to whistle. I find a lot of them in the WMA's around here in central Florida, but never hear them call even after I've flushed them. Don't stay around long after they've flushed and I only let the dogs work a couple of singles, just not that many, don't even carry a shotgun any longer.

Kansas Big Dog

No quail here, all gone.  Even if there were some here, which there aren't, it has been to cold, no calling yet.

But, the good news is we are getting a very good rain today so if there were any quail around, which there aren't, would have plenty of moisture for bugs.

ARKBRDHUNTER
20 hours ago, Kansas Big Dog said:

No quail here, all gone.  Even if there were some here, which there aren't, it has been to cold, no calling yet.

But, the good news is we are getting a very good rain today so if there were any quail around, which there aren't, would have plenty of moisture for bugs.

Glad you are getting rain, needs to warm up here too so the bugs will hatch in case there are little quail to eat them. 

Sorry there are no quail there, going to be a bunch of brits and setters really bored at your house. 

Bill Calton

I have quite a few pairs, blues and bobs, using my feeder.  Walt Lister used to post a photo of chicks in his yard about the time quail in my area started thinking about a nest.  I think I have read that the bobwhite mating call has been reported in every month in the great quail country of south Texas.  Longer, warmer days, one of the reasons they have more quail.

Kansas Big Dog

Just heard the first calls of the year. Sitting here on the deck drinking a Free State Copperhead. Bad storms west of Bellvile.

spring

I love to listen to them; they've been calling around here for the past 3 or so weeks.  I enjoy recording them; here are a couple for you:

Spring Hill Quail

The first ones of 2018