FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Dogwood

Ford Turbocharger longevity?

dogrunner
On 4/26/2018 at 9:53 AM, jeff88 said:

At the time my buddy was looking I mentioned to him what I had been reading about the Ford 3.5 turbo but he was concerned about a 6 versus an 8 for towing.  Guess that can be a bit of a hard sell to traditional thinking.  Looks like from these posts he would have been fine but there wasn't much experience to share.  He was also looking at the F250 and 350 but settled on the Tundra.  We did have fun test driving them.  Pick-up truck test drives are tough - how do you replicate what the thing will be used for?  Guess that's why it might be hard to change traditional thinking such as a turbo 6 can out perform a large bore 8.  Ford seems to be on the right side of the argument.  In the cars world, many manufacturers have moved from 6's to turbo 4's in performance cars and gained in handling and economy w/o losing performance.  No reason that shouldn't apply to trucks.

Maybe so but I still like the 5.0 V8 just ordered my 4th one since I had the 3.5 Turbo. 

jeff88
On 4/28/2018 at 6:11 PM, dogrunner said:

Maybe so but I still like the 5.0 V8 just ordered my 4th one since I had the 3.5 Turbo. 

In any case, it's really good to have choices.  Just as the gasoline engine seems to be peaking, we'll also be looking at hybrid drive trains.  Am sure this will filter over into trucks at some point.  My take would be a turbo-6 diesel coupled with two electric motors might be an ideal set-up - the diesel will take over on the highway and the electric drive would be the majority motivator in stop-and-go situations, combined together for in between service.  We would get the best of both worlds, high torque with the diesel along with the benefits of electric power when it is most efficient.

Our '04 Expy had a 5.4L v8 that put out 260 HP.  Now I know that today that is not much, both of our 3.7L v6 engines put out 300 and 328 respectively.  However it was sent differently to the drive wheels with the v8 with much more low end grunt.  One might smile today at 260 HP in a large rig such as that Expy but the difference in capability was actually not that much from then to now for towing and carrying.  The biggest change is in gas mileage - we were getting about 14 around town and 18 on the highway.  The 4 sp OD 4WD set-up is much less efficient than what we see with Expy's in 2018.

chilly460

I bought a '17 F150 in October, the Ecoboosts make far more USABLE torque than any naturally aspirated V8.  I restore classic cars as a hobby and love my old school V8s, but they can't match the torque of these small sequential turbo V6s down at 2500rpm where you're towing.  They really are amazing, similar to the feel of a diesel without the RPM limitations.  

Towed my 63 Marauder (6300lbs with trailer) with luggage and my dad and uncle down to Dawsonville, GA no sweat, much easier than my 5.3L Silverado.  I have the little 2.7L Eco, the 3.5L tows a little better but didn't feel any stronger unloaded as the 2.7L builds boost a bit faster.  12mpg towing, 23mpg unloaded.  

IMG_1339.JPG

Flush
1 hour ago, chilly460 said:

I restore classic cars as a hobby and love my old school V8s, but they can't match the torque of these small sequential turbo V6s down at 2500rpm where you're towing.  They really are amazing, similar to the feel of a diesel without the RPM limitations.  

Towed my 63 Marauder (6300lbs with trailer) with luggage and my dad and uncle down to Dawsonville, GA no sweat, much easier than my 5.3L Silverado.  I have the little 2.7L Eco, the 3.5L tows a little better but didn't feel any stronger unloaded as the 2.7L builds boost a bit faster.  12mpg towing, 23mpg unloaded.  

I agree overall, and that is a sweet car too!!

One little nit-pic is the eco boost V6s are not sequential turbos, they are used in a standard parallel configuration. But you are right, they are relatively small and twin-scroll (which is maybe what you meant) and therefore don't have much lag at all.

studdog

I've owned four eco boost engines.  Highest mileage one did 100K  As to towing, they tow great.  Fuel economy when towing is no better than the  V8 however.  Not towing they get great Fuel economy compared to the V8.  I love the eco boost.  Great product from Ford.  Coupled with the new 10 speed transmission their even better.

salmontogue
13 minutes ago, studdog said:

I've owned four eco boost engines.  Highest mileage one did 100K  As to towing, they tow great.  Fuel economy when towing is no better than the  V8 however.  Not towing they get great Fuel economy compared to the V8.  I love the eco boost.  Great product from Ford.  Coupled with the new 10 speed transmission their even better.

Are you saying the ecoboost is tired at 100K or that is the longest you kept yours?

Perk

studdog

The most miles I put on one was 100K.  I normally trade every two years but waited for the 2018 Expedition Max with the all Aluminum body.  Great product the Eco Boost.

WI Outdoor Nut

I have had my ecoboost since 2012 with just short of 70K miles.  Been a good motor for sure.  Better than 50% of my time I have something hooked up to it, and often in that 4000-6500# range.  This is when that little motor really shines compared to a NA V8.  What I could not stand with the prior motors, including the 5.0, in order to use the torque available, you need to be very high RPM.  Even my buddies new Silverado with the 8 speed ( I believe) tranny, still does the same thing.  Just came back on an 800 mile trip pulling about 6500#'s and the motor just purred.  Unless I jump up to 3/4 ton, my next truck will be another eco.

Chukarman

I have had a number of turbochrarged vehicles - from a Maserati BiTurbo, Buick Turbo Regal, to Ford F350 diesel. Turbochargers are great, but suffer from even modest neglect. They like heat, motor oil does not. Warm up and cool down, regular oil changes with premium motor oil will make them last longer. When they fail they are expensive to replace.