FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
gjw

Orvis Pro Hunting Series Vest????

MUSTANGER7

Nice vest, looks to be along the same lines as an LL Bean vest I've had for years.

UplandHntr

Im sure its well made but there just isnt enough orange on it for me. I know a lot of western guys wear very little if any but not me..

Flairball

Guy I know recently bought one. He hasn’t had it long enough yet to give an honest review. I thought it looked kinda cheap, and not capable of making it through more than one season. I think one could get a better product buying one of the Q-5 vests, of which this is clearly a copy. 

Brad Eden

Orvis, Q5/Quilomene, WingWorks....all UJ Ad Sponsors. Can't go wrong.B|

Hub
On 4/25/2018 at 8:25 AM, UplandHntr said:

Im sure its well made but there just isnt enough orange on it for me. I know a lot of western guys wear very little if any but not me..

Most strap vests don't have near enough blaze orange to make a guy 'safe'.  I think most folks just wear blaze orange shirts underneath the vest.  That's what I do anyway.  

duluthUPLAND

I've seen one of these in person, didn't try it on. They're on the right track with it, but the straps appear to be a bit thick for my taste. I'll never understand that one, straps should be as thin and as low profile as possible on the shoulders.

Brad Eden

FWIW. I think by virtue of the strap design vest there isnt a lot of real estate for blaze orange...If I have any question that I don't have enough orange on I carry one of those cheap mesh blaze vests. I put it on over my strap vest and it doesn't interfere with anything...while bird hunting with others (which is rare as hens teeth) and during deer season in any areas where I think other hunters are about.

Recoil Rob

A bit expensive but built to last and plenty of orange....https://www.filson.com/pro-guide-strap-vest.html.

Try calling the Filson outlet, sometimes they have returned merchandise or with a smudge, for up to 40% off.

Swampy 16

I have owned the Orvis Wax Cotton strap vest. I’ve had it for one season. All I do is grouse hunt and hunt two days a week from Sept through February. This vest is the best upland garment I’ve ever owned and I’ve been at it over 30 years. IT IS BULLETPROOF TOUGH, and no i don’t work for Orvis. The only thing I’ve ever owned that was close was a Filson. We all know the abuse that grouse country can dish out and I’ve had many garments that only went one season and some that went 3. I see this going the 3 year mark with no problem. If I can shred a pair of Filson double tins in 3 years than anything vest wise  that will last that long is made pretty well. I love the layout of this vest. Look, wax cotton is as tough as it comes but not comfortable for pants and jackets, but perfect for a strap vest. And it’s only $130 with a lifetime guarantee. You can’t go wrong.

OldColonel

I really like my Filson pro vest.  So much so I brought a second one off EBay to have a second one in case they stop making it

Swampy 16

I know that feeling.

NECarson
On 4/27/2018 at 12:22 PM, Recoil Rob said:

A bit expensive but built to last and plenty of orange....https://www.filson.com/pro-guide-strap-vest.html.

Try calling the Filson outlet, sometimes they have returned merchandise or with a smudge, for up to 40% off.

Agreed. Mine is as close to perfect as possible. 

Plenty of storage, but not like a lot of the "modern" vests with pockets and pouches everywhere. 

Incredibly durable. 

Plus, it's a good looking vest. 

martyg

I heard a rumor that MOTHER may be back.

RDG
8 hours ago, martyg said:

I heard a rumor that MOTHER may be back.

You have to post more information than that man....details...we need details.