2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Clueless1

Looks like rain

Clueless1

So I've never hunted turkeys much, an hour here or there.  But decided I'm going to get a turkey this year.  Looking at the weather for tomorrow (opening day in PA) it looks like I'm going to be hunting in the rain.  Keeping in mind that I really don't even know what I'm doing when it's dry, are there different things to do when it's raining?  Do turkeys act different?  Any generality's that could help out a newbie looking for his first bird?

WAGinVA

Find a field with short grass and plan on sitting all day.  If you have a pop-up blind they are a godsend in the rain.  I have spent many days in just rainwear.  If there are birds around they will seek out short fields in the rain.

Clueless1

Thank you.  My pop up got destroyed by a bear last fall but I think I'll take one of those tree umbrellas along with rain gear. 

Brad Eden
1 hour ago, WAGinVA said:

Find a field with short grass and plan on sitting all day.  If you have a pop-up blind they are a godsend in the rain.  I have spent many days in just rainwear.  If there are birds around they will seek out short fields in the rain.

^this^ They do seem to gravitate to fields and open areas in the rain.

They will come to the call in the rain, but in rain where conditions are quiet and especially if any wind to disguise any sound...you can sneak pretty close...even though that is taboo for some. But not me. (I've shot several Fall birds with my bow because it was rainy and windy and I was able to sneak in close on a flock scratching through the woods.)

WPG Gizmo

Be in the right place at the right time and one will be by and no quick movements

SelbyLowndes

My observation is that continued rain makes turkeys stupid.  The do come to pastures , but also will just stand along the edge of a roadway or power line right of way and let you drive past them.  They become quite active though soon as the sun comes out...SelbyLowndes

I think the rain noise in the woods drives them nuts; just like the noise level in a cocktail party does me!

dogrunner

I don't like sitting in 1 spot especially in rain.  Usually they will not gobble much and come off the roost later. The woods is quiet to walk in but there is noise from the rain also it is dark and dingy, if you know where they are try a slow stalk . I have shot a few in poor weather with the right gear its not so bad. 

MAArcher

I recommend sleeping in.  Not worth getting the gun rusty.

That said I just drug my kid out of bed to go sit in light rain, for youth day in NH.  They don't gobble much in the rain.  The ones we played with this morning were hen'd up and then the hens wouldn't leave the bird feeder.  That's how we have to hunt them around here in the city, sit on the edge of power lines and wait for them to finish having breakfast under someones bird feeder before you can call them your way.   We'll go back in a couple hours and see if the hen wondered off and left the big boy lonely.  I think the best turkey hunting advice I can give, to get a mature tom, is to find one that's by himself a little later in the day.  And if you don't mind jakes, find some "satellite" ones that are hovering around a tom and his hen.  They will sneak over to your decoy for some hankey-pankey while the big boy isn't looking, be alert because they come in silent, not wanting to draw the wrath of the boss tom.

One of the most amusing sights in turkey hunting is watching three or more jakes just tripping over each other to get to you.  They can get so worked up even after one gets shot the others just run around in circles not wanting to believe there isn't a hot momma there to teach them about the birds and the bees.

Hope you had some luck this morning!

Clueless1

One hen this morning.  No shots I heard either. 

floodcity

They were gobbling in SW PA this morning. Fog early but no rain during hunting hours. Took my gobbler at 8:15am while he was beating up my Dave Smith decoy. Good luck!

polecat

I took a nice bird last year in the rain. Called once when I climbed in my popup at light. 9 yard shot then ran out to get my prize.Had to sit in the blind for an hour and a half in a long downpour before heading to the cabin.

kgb
On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:14 PM, Brad Eden said:

...you can sneak pretty close...even though that is taboo for some. But not me. (I've shot several Fall birds with my bow because it was rainy and windy and I was able to sneak in close on a flock scratching through the woods.)

I believe stalking is taboo according to the state, not the individual, in Pennsylvania or used to be.  Scattering and then calling in the Fall was a campaign though.  My dad's friend in Pgh shot one on the opener within the borough, hunting has come to the neighborhood instead of us having to go to it.  Then again, they now hold fishing tournaments in the rivers for other than carp or catfish...

Coalman

Was disappointed yesterday in the pre-dawn light drizzle. No roost gobbling. Felt bad for my youth and his dad who drove up from Boston at O Dark Hundred. While they were nestled in the popup I took a walk along the property line and with box and slate sent out some assembly call invites. Hearing nothing I increased the volume. That is what it took and I heard one gobble from the neighbor's place.
That turkey knew where the hen was so I went back to my chair overlooking our youth's hide. After doing a couple more assembly yelps on both calls it was my head bouncing off my chest that got my attention, I had fallen asleep.  Once again I headed to the property line to send out another invitation.

As I approached I heard a gobble, real close. Exit stage left back to my lounge chair.

When I got back the next gobble was on our side of the line. I knew from doing invasive species removal along the field edges that the turkey could see the Henrietta's across the small ravine in our field. Next gobble came from where the fields met and I knew it was game on. I sent Dan a text, 'get ready'.

From my vantage point I saw one, then two, then three turkeys heading to the decoys. I watched them go right up to the decoys and Nate didn't let us down. At the shot the other birds stayed right there. Only when Nate ran out to claim his prize did the other jakes run off. I was to learn there were four.

I didn't know it but while the hunt was playing out the adult gobbler was watching it unfold about 200 yards away. Nate said he never gobbled in the AM nor did he display. Hmm, could there be a bigger one in the local?

Morel to the story is we hunted in the rain in a short grass field.

Brad Eden
2 hours ago, kgb said:

I believe stalking is taboo according to the state, not the individual, in Pennsylvania or used to be.  Scattering and then calling in the Fall was a campaign though.  

I understand. Taboo isn't illegal I don't think.  Stalking can be dangerous with other hunters around....a lot of what we do outdoors is dangerous. I love a good stalk, crawl and kill.

This big bird was taken by that method because that was the only way I could take him, on the last day of season if memory serves me.

IMG_0294.JPG

I have scattered flocks in fall, set up at center etc., with dubious results. They often use dogs down south for this.  A better approach for where I live is to locate a flock and maneuver and set up in their direction of travel. (Legal access to unposted private property in Maine is key to this) They don't always simply walk into your lap but contrary to some myth they will come to the call in fall. Not gobbling, but flocks of hens ( legal in fall in Maine) or mixed birds get very curious and will veer your way.

Got this double one fall doing what I just described:

image.jpeg

Clueless1

Illegal to stalk in PA.  It really wouldn't matter since I have so little experience on turkeys I would completely screw it up anyway.  I did find out there were some gobblers in one field I never made it to Saturday.  I will be there a couple times this week early before work.  Until 7-7:15.

Have to ask.  Sunrise at 6:15 this week.  What time should I be there, what time do they fly down?  Was thinking set up by 6 gives me an hour.  Will that work?